POTUS/VP Debates

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

POTUS/VP Debates

Post by Mori Chu »

The debates are coming up. Here's the schedule (times local):

Presidential debates:
Debate 1: Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 9:00-10:30 p.m. EDT
Debate 2: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 9:00-10:30 p.m. EDT
Debate 3: Thursday, October 22, 2020, 8:00-9:30 p.m. CDT

Vice Presidential debate:
Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 7:00-8:30 p.m. MDT

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Unit ... al_debates

Cap

Re: POTUS/VP Debates

Post by Cap »

Why bother? Are there any undecided voters left?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Maybe this will have an effect.

Trump didn't pay income tax for 10 of 15 years before 2016 election: NYT
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ars-report
He paid $750 in 2016 and 2017.

$70,000 in hairstyling for television.

I am richer than Trump and I am not rich at all.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:13 pm
Maybe this will have an effect.

Trump didn't pay income tax for 10 of 15 years before 2016 election: NYT
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ars-report
He paid $750 in 2016 and 2017.

$70,000 in hairstyling for television.

I am richer than Trump and I am not rich at all.
keep in mind that his tax documents are likely full of lies. So he may not be nearly as rich as he says he is, but he isn't as poor as his taxes make him out to be.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

One thing for sure, we will never get the truth from him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

and his supporters don't care. it truly is blind faith in the face of contradictory evidence.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 am
and his supporters don't care. it truly is blind faith in the face of contradictory evidence.
Yeah but he's going to make America great again!

I see those signs on lawns in my neighborhood. He had 4 years and made things worse. Yet the slogan is still "Make America Great". Blows my fucking mind.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 am
Yeah but he's going to make America great again!

I see those signs on lawns in my neighborhood. He had 4 years and made things worse. Yet the slogan is still "Make America Great". Blows my fucking mind.
[rant]

I just keep coming back to 2 things.

1) America puts so much money into ensuring we keep a 2-party system (and then CU comes along and makes it even more wealthy to keep it that way)

2) Because there are only 2 viable options, you create this life-long allegiance to the party, instead of the candidates. After all, there are hundreds of candidates each election cycle across all the open seats, so it isn't like you can just focus on one person. You become a fan/devotee of the team, not the individual. That creates a sports-like fandom for your team. I mean, seriously, how many life-long Yankee fans would switch to the Twins if they found out their manager raped someone? Or one of their star players was a racist? Especially if all they had to do was get more people to support the Yankees and that is how they determine who wins the championship each year?

3) I know I said 2 things, but this one drives me nuts too--How many Americans have read the Constitution after grade-school? How many even read the summaries of the laws/ballot propositions? Or look at the voting record of their incumbent representatives? We devalue civics education (really all education) in this country, and it is paying off for our adversaries.

[/rant]

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Really looking forward to the first presidential debate tonight. Should be interesting. Biden just has to be competent and not lose his cool. Trump will play his usual games and say whatever he wants. The fact checkers will be making their money tonight.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:35 pm
Really looking forward to the first presidential debate tonight. Should be interesting. Biden just has to be competent and not lose his cool. Trump will play his usual games and say whatever he wants. The fact checkers will be making their money tonight.
I think the key for Biden is to just be a contrast to Trump. Be calm, be mature, be Presidential. Don't really need to fact-check every lie or exaggeration Trump tells, don't need to respond to every random crazy attack. Just be the adult in the room. And don't have too many "senior moments" like trailing off or losing the topic. :-)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Biden can only lose.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 pm
Biden can only lose.
That’s not how it played out. What a mess. Trump just talked over anybody and everything from the jump including the moderator. Nobody is changing their minds based on this disaster. Well, that’s not true. Trump lost if anything. Somebody undecided I hope would not put up with that behavior.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And to the Proud Boys: “Stand back and stand by!” Get ready for battle in the streets.

Just read this in the LA Times:

“Trump basically said to go f—- them up! This makes me so happy,” a prominent Proud Boy wrote on a social media site popular with the far right.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Trump is not a politician, he's never been one. It's one of the main reasons why people support him. So it's dumb to expect him to behave like a politician at a political event such as a debate. He'd be doing exactly the opposite of what's earned him his popularity. To them, "winning" a debate is for nerds. And I kind of agree with them because most of this country doesn't have the intellectual capacity to understand how or why an argument is won. Something needs to change with this process.

Otherwise, we're just going to get more of this garbage that looked like a divorced couple fighting out their custody battle in the middle of a neighborhood street. If someone was undecided until watching the debate and now somehow that put them over the edge against Trump, I'd want to know what the hell they've been doing for the past 5 years.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It was a wild debate, if you can call it that. I thought Bided did well. He didn’t look sleepy, confused or lost. He looked good and very together.

I was impressed with Chis Wallace. He was a FOX host moderating and Trump tried to bully his way through and Wallace wouldn’t let him. Wallace got bad marks for not keeping them under control but, nobody really controls Trump. When Trump interrupted Wallace would keep trying to stop him. “Mr. President, Mr. President, Mr. President” talking over Trump talking over Biden, which was very obnoxious to watch and nobody could understand anything anyone was saying. That negated Trumps bullying though and made him look like an idiot.

What did we learn from the debate that we didn’t already know? I suppose nothing but the debate puts both men on an even footing for America to see before the media spins it all.

Go to FOX now and then go to CNN now. There were obviously two different debates. There is the one FOX News saw that shows today why Trump easily won. On CNN there was a different debate where Biden won.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 am
It was a wild debate, if you can call it that. I thought Bided did well. He didn’t look sleepy, confused or lost. He looked good and very together.

I was impressed with Chis Wallace. He was a FOX host moderating and Trump tried to bully his way through and Wallace wouldn’t let him. Wallace got bad marks for not keeping them under control but, nobody really controls Trump. When Trump interrupted Wallace would keep trying to stop him. “Mr. President, Mr. President, Mr. President” talking over Trump talking over Biden, which was very obnoxious to watch and nobody could understand anything anyone was saying. That negated Trumps bullying though and made him look like an idiot.

What did we learn from the debate that we didn’t already know? I suppose nothing but the debate puts both men on an even footing for America to see before the media spins it all.

Go to FOX now and then go to CNN now. There were obviously two different debates. There is the one FOX News saw that shows today why Trump easily won. On CNN there was a different debate where Biden won.
plenty of folks on fox last night admitting he didn't do well last night. the spin is in full effect today, though.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:38 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 am

plenty of folks on fox last night admitting he didn't do well last night. the spin is in full effect today, though.
I deliberately dvr’r FOX last night to see their coverage and you are right. Last night everyone saw a different debate than they are talking about today.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That debate was insane. I don't know how anybody could have watched that and think that deranged loud bully should be the President of the United States. He's completely unhinged and dangerous.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Proud Boys stand by, somebody’s got to do something about the left.

Anybody think that maybe possibly there could be a chance of some violence on Election Day?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is America; there's some violence everyday.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.