2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
3rdside

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by 3rdside »

Yeah I think I agree - hulsman seems a little ignorant of the state of the Republican Party, that it’s just business as usual once trump goes.

That said, he is an expert so perhaps we’ve all been a little too sucked in to the MSM propaganda machine.

Indy

Post by Indy »

To V9's point, is he an expert on domestic US policy, or just foreign?

3rdside

2020 Election Thread

Post by 3rdside »

He’s a political risk expert i.e. that’s his full time job, who’s an American, that lives in Rome.

I know he writes for City A.M in London, and Al Jazeera, amongst others.

His focus is all global politics, including America’s, and his expulsion from his Washington DC insider’s job for arguing strongly against going into Iraq would no doubt ensure he keeps an eye on everything American.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:27 pm
May I ask what is the 40% number based off of?
the population of the states they represent.
So not total number of voter registration or numbers voted in the last election? I was just curious how you counted that.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:21 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:27 pm
May I ask what is the 40% number based off of?
the population of the states they represent.
So not total number of voter registration or numbers voted in the last election? I was just curious how you counted that.
Doesn't matter if they voted for them or not, or even if they can't vote. They are still stuck with them as their senator.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:16 pm
He’s only running if he knows he can win .. I don’t think that’s a guarantee just yet.
What are you talking about? He's never lost. The only way he can lose is if the other side cheats.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump lawyer blamed Pence for causing Capitol attack: report
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... tack-as-it

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Judge faults Trump for Jan. 6 attack
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/1 ... ack-523059

A federal judge on Friday squarely placed the blame for the Jan. 6 Capitol attack on Donald Trump, suggesting that the former president’s role in seeding lies about the 2020 election — and the effect it had on his followers — has been an underappreciated part of the entire episode.

“He didn’t purposely come to Washington, D.C., to storm the Capitol,” said Mehta. “The fact remains that he and others were called to Washington, D.C., by an elected official, prompted to walk to the Capitol by an elected official.”
“People like Mr. Lolos were told lies, told falsehoods, told our election was stolen when it clearly was not,” Mehta continued, adding that the defendants were paying for conduct that was largely enabled by Trump and his allies. “We’re here today deciding whether Mr. Lolos should spend 30 days in jail when those who created the conditions that led to Mr. Lolos’ conduct, led to the events of Jan. 6 [haven’t been] held to account for their actions and their word.”

“In a sense, Mr. Lolos, I think you were a pawn,” Mehta continued. “You were a pawn in a game directed and played by people who should know better. I think that mitigates your conduct.”

“Once you hear people who should know better tell you that an election was stolen and they say it loudly enough, frequently enough,” he said, “it’s not surprising that people will believe it.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The former DOJ head under Trump Jeffrey Clark sent a letter to Georgia and AZ officials after the election telling them not to send Biden electors to certify the election and instead send no one or Trump electors because there might have been fraud. The Jan 6 committee wanted to hear from Mr. Clark and subpoenaed him. He showed up but refused to answer any questions and then left before being dismissed.

After he left they continued the hearing and announced the questions they wanted to ask him such as why did the metadata from the DOJ letter say it was written in the WH?

After later hearing about the question they were going to ask Mr. Clark, he all of the sudden announced that he was taking the fifth.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No kidding. It doesn't matter though. I've seen conservatives say "they just know that the election was stolen" in spite of all the evidence. If you say it enough, they will believe it.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... on/620843/

"Only one meaningful correlation emerged. Other things being equal, insurgents were much more likely to come from a county where the white share of the population was in decline. For every one-point drop in a county’s percentage of non-Hispanic whites from 2015 to 2019, the likelihood of an insurgent hailing from that county increased by 25 percent. This was a strong link, and it held up in every state".

Along the same line as saying why Brexit was done to prevent the rise of the far right.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:32 pm

"Only one meaningful correlation emerged. Other things being equal, insurgents were much more likely to come from a county where the white share of the population was in decline. For every one-point drop in a county’s percentage of non-Hispanic whites from 2015 to 2019, the likelihood of an insurgent hailing from that county increased by 25 percent. This was a strong link, and it held up in every state".

Along the same line as saying why Brexit was done to prevent the rise of the far right.
It is so hard for me to believe that the people holding up confederate flags are racist.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:32 pm

It is so hard for me to believe that the people holding up confederate flags are racist.
Seeing as very few people on here can even begin to grasp why Trump got so many votes, it’s a pretty good starting point.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I’d include myself in that dataset! That might sound a little condescending otherwise …

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:13 pm
I’d include myself in that dataset! That might sound a little condescending otherwise …
none of us on here ever sound condescending. ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The GOP top-to-bottom is preparing for a coup in 2024. What will the Dems and the rest of America do about it?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You don’t see much being done about it. It is looking like states with Republican majority’s will only be certifying Republicans in the future elections no matter how Americans vote. That represents the end of democracy in America.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They made a coup PowerPoint deck, suggesting they should declare a national emergency and delay the electoral count.