2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShadowHawke

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by ShadowHawke »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

US sees image tarnished abroad post-Jan. 6
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... post-jan-6
“Democracies in the rest of the world in Latin America, Asia, and Europe, recognized Jan. 6 for what it is. It was an attempted coup. It was an effort by a president to steal an election,” said Steven Levitsky, a democratization and authoritarianism expert at Harvard University and author of the book “How Democracies Die.”

“There’s no debate or division in democratic societies about what happened in the United States — an effort to overturn an election. I think what is stunning ... is that we now have a political party, a major political party in the United States that was unwilling to accept defeat. That’s an indicator of an authoritarian political party, an anti-democratic force.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How long before another country officially declares the US Republican Party an authoritarian party or terrorist organization? It must be coming.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:36 am
How long before another country officially declares the US Republican Party an authoritarian party or terrorist organization? It must be coming.
That would be right out of an authoritarian and fascist playbook to do that, which is right on brand with the Democrat party.

Check out WA Governor Inslee plan.

https://t.co/8LYFt75z4k

Mori, I keep asking you to explain why you insist on falsely calling the Reps authoritarian, when all authoritarian actions have come from the Dems.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

An entertaining read for me.

Was January 6 an Inside Job?
Plus, Ask Matt Labash explores the "ick" in politics
https://mattlabash.substack.com/p/was-j ... inside-job

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Republicans in five states forged fake documents claiming they were the real electors and that Trump won the election.

GOP official dodges questions after she is accused of sending forged certificate claiming Trump won
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 90348.html

Fake Documents Declaring Trump and Pence the 2020 Winners Sent to but Rejected by National Archives: Report
According to Politico, the false certificates of ascertainment were sent from Arizona and Michigan groups but they were instead turned over to the Jan. 6 congressional committee
https://people.com/politics/forged-docu ... -archives/

Swing State Trumpers Forged Electoral Letters in Harebrained Scheme to Overturn Biden’s Win
Groups from at least five states sent forged elector documents
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... s-1281966/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:17 pm
Republicans in five states forged fake documents claiming they were the real electors and that Trump won the election.

GOP official dodges questions after she is accused of sending forged certificate claiming Trump won
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 90348.html

Fake Documents Declaring Trump and Pence the 2020 Winners Sent to but Rejected by National Archives: Report
According to Politico, the false certificates of ascertainment were sent from Arizona and Michigan groups but they were instead turned over to the Jan. 6 congressional committee
https://people.com/politics/forged-docu ... -archives/

Swing State Trumpers Forged Electoral Letters in Harebrained Scheme to Overturn Biden’s Win
Groups from at least five states sent forged elector documents
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... s-1281966/
I hope that this gets serious investigation from the DOJ, and if they are found breaking the law, that they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent. I can't :roll: enough at these people.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:51 pm
I hope that this gets serious investigation from the DOJ, and if they are found breaking the law, that they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent. I can't :roll: enough at these people.
Yes, but this is the mainstream view of your party. Your most recent President eagerly pushes for these kinds of actions. No one in your party condemns this sort of behavior, and many top elected officials in your party actively encourage or condone it. You are :roll: ing at the core of the party you support.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:46 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:51 pm
Yes, but this is the mainstream view of your party. Your most recent President eagerly pushes for these kinds of actions. No one in your party condemns this sort of behavior, and many top elected officials in your party actively encourage or condone it. You are :roll: ing at the core of the party you support.
If it's illegal, then let's go. Figure it out.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They're just straight up admitting that their intent is to subvert the elections. They are running candidates at the local and state level to support this effort. They are not being even slightly subtle that this is their intention.

Honestly, what possible non-evil-authoritarian intepretation is there of this clip?

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I think it's a lost cause. I don't think that the Republicans would abide by the results of the 2024 election -- if they lost. Right now, as long as they run anyone but Trump, they'll win the White House and both the House and the Senate on top of a SCOTUS that they already control.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:12 am
I think it's a lost cause. I don't think that the Republicans would abide by the results of the 2024 election -- if they lost. Right now, as long as they run anyone but Trump, they'll win the White House and both the House and the Senate on top of a SCOTUS that they already control.
I think your scenario will likely unfold even if it *is* Trump they run in 2024. And I am not sure how any other Republican could possibly win the primary if Trump were on their ballot. He has an overwhelming lead within the party and a fanbase that seems unshakeable.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I see an awful lot of folks saying stuff like: "Hey, Trump was terrible but the Republicans can't do that shit anymore". They would vote for DeSantis but not Trump.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:26 pm
I see an awful lot of folks saying stuff like: "Hey, Trump was terrible but the Republicans can't do that shit anymore". They would vote for DeSantis but not Trump.
I mean, maybe, but DeSantis gets like 20% in polls and Trump gets like three times that.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:45 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:26 pm
I mean, maybe, but DeSantis gets like 20% in polls and Trump gets like three times that.
Among Republican primary voters but not the overall electorate, IIRC. But let me look this up.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Actually...you might be right on DeSantis not beating either Biden or Harris. But couldn't find anything on a rematch instead.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/47 ... w-polling/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A nice summary of what we know so far about the Trump/GOP attempt to steal the 2020 election. (Note that this comes from a *conservative* / Republican writer.). I just don't see how this doesn't add up to criminal charges. You can't just write up phony slates of electors on official-looking documents and send them in; that is blatantly against election law.

https://morningshots.thebulwark.com/p/t ... rgeryfraud

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Do you mean a Never Trumper Charlie Sykes? Is The Bulwark an actual reputable site? Seems fishy

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am tired of talking about this. If you can’t see it by now you never will.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:35 pm
Do you mean a Never Trumper Charlie Sykes? Is The Bulwark an actual reputable site? Seems fishy
If they had the Fight Club guy post the article, or @MAGA_FU_TrumpWon_911 posted it, would that be more persuasive?