2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:36 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:32 pm
The fact that you think he won the election and should be our POTUS again says a lot about you. The fact you can support such a tyrant and violence inciting person is unreal.
He's a tyrant and inciting people? Come on, man. We can just disagree on this. What does it say about me? What kind of thing are you going to impugn on my character?
How is he not inciting violence?! He's done it several times over the past year! Is it because he doesn't say directly "I want my supporters to go and be violent!", therefore he doesn't incite violence? The fact that this is the first time the capital has been breached and raided since 1812 says a lot. He's wanted nothing but a violent coup. We all knew he wasn't going to give up his grasp on power and the Presidency. He's a horrible person and terrible President.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:40 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
The fact that you think he won the election and should be our POTUS again says a lot about you. The fact you can support such a tyrant and violence inciting person is unreal.
He's a tyrant and inciting people? Come on, man. We can just disagree on this. What does it say about me? What kind of thing are you going to impugn on my character?
that you actively support a man that incites violence against America.
Nope, I do not support violence, and I already said that I don't believe that Trump has incited violence. That's your belief.
funny how you call your beliefs about 'election stealing' as facts, but Trump's own words, and those words of his supporters at his rally today, as beliefs.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
How is he not inciting violence?! He's done it several times over the past year! Is it because he doesn't say directly "I want my supporters to go and be violent!", therefore he doesn't incite violence? The fact that this is the first time the capital has been breached and raided since 1812 says a lot. He's wanted nothing but a violent coup. We all knew he wasn't going to give up his grasp on power and the Presidency. He's a horrible person and terrible President.
He didn't tell them to break into the Capital building or even insinuate that. I don't think it's productive to make that leap. I'm also not convinced yet that these were actual Trump supporters that started this.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

he literally called the people storming the Capitol "special people" AFTER they stormed the capitol.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
that you actively support a man that incites violence against America.
Nope, I do not support violence, and I already said that I don't believe that Trump has incited violence. That's your belief.
funny how you call your beliefs about 'election stealing' as facts, but Trump's own words, and those words of his supporters at his rally today, as beliefs.
I believe that the election was stolen, and there are facts that prove it. Is that better? Idk why you want to get into a pissing match of semantics. I'm not the enemy. I just have a different perspective than you.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:43 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
He didn't tell them to break into the Capital building or even insinuate that. I don't think it's productive to make that leap. I'm also not convinced yet that these were actual Trump supporters that started this.
From someone that was at the Trump rally this morning when he spoke:
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/john ... -tomorrow/

I watched as the president spoke at his rally earlier today and said he would go with the crowd to the Capitol to make sure their feelings were known. I heard the president threaten Mike Pence with his unhappiness should Pence refuse to prevent the certification of the electors—just after Pence had released a statement saying he had no authority to do any such thing.

This rally itself happened because Trump called for it. The crowds gathered because Trump called for them. They moved to the Capitol down the Mall because Trump said they should. The breach of the Capitol is Trump’s fault. Some in the crowd have stormed the Congress.

Donald Trump unleashed a mob on Capitol Hill. What he has done is without precedent in American history. Even if he had seven minutes left in his presidency, he should not be permitted to spend another second as the President. Nancy Pelosi should call an emergency session of the House tonight and impeach the president, and Mitch McConnell should convene the Senate tomorrow and call a vote to remove Trump from the presidency.
Did you see Trump's heartfelt video to leave the Capitol building?

12 seconds at the beginning talking about how the election was stolen a brief 5 second request to leave, 30/45 more seconds taking about the stolen election

Asked them to go home, and THANKED THEM for what they have done.

Fully transcribed:
I know your pain I know you're hurt we had an election that was stolen from us, it was a landslide election and everyone knows it, especially the other side, but you have to go home now. We have to have peace, we have to have law and order, we have to respect our great..people in law and order. We don't want anybody hurt its a very tough period of time, there's never been a time like this where.. such a thing happened where they could take it away from all of us, from me from you from our country. This was a fraudulent election, but we can't play into the hands of these people, we have to have peace. So go home we love you, you're very special, you've seen what happens, you see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil, I know how you feel but go home and go home in peace.
Doing a great job there of putting out the flames.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
he literally called the people storming the Capitol "special people" AFTER they stormed the capitol.
Perhaps he believes that they were his supporters, idk. I didn't notice him saying that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We can just disagree on this. What does it say about me? What kind of thing are you going to impugn on my character?
It makes me sad. A large portion of the population isn't ready for the internet. There's just too much raw and unfiltered content and it is very challenging to go through it all and determine what portion can be trusted and what portion is BS. We probably need to be teaching digital media literacy in schools so that children won't fall victim to this sort of thing.

As it is, we have millions of people who are willing and eager to believe and re-share questionable tweets to try to reinforce their world views. Anybody sharing a conspiratorial narrative about today's shocking events that tries to shift blame away from Trump/MAGA to antifa/BLM/others does not have the ability to discern quality of sources of online information. "CockHolliday" and "MagaMary4" are not reliable sources to cite for factual information. This should be obvious to all and should not need to be explained.

This huge media illiteracy problem may be one that can be remediated, but not by the kind of logical and calm discussion we engage in here. Any thoughtful refutations posted here will be abandoned in favor of some other random tweet that more pleasantly aligns with the reader's existing world view. We can't fix it yet because we aren't even to Step 1 of the process yet: The person doesn't even know that there is a problem. He doesn't even have the sense to be properly embarrassed.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

From a sane conservative. My dad text me this just a bit earlier. Mind you, I do not agree with him regarding Trump and supporting Trump up to the point that he continued to cry fraud without good evidence and my dad started to distance himself from his support of Trump:
"I know your pain. They stole this election from us. And it was a landslide election..."

Definitely a great way to lead off a condemnation of a riot against election fraud, which is bullshit he conjured up to save his fragile little ego.

He passed a lot of good policy while he was president. I agree. It hurts to lose an election. I get it. I voted for him. The way he is behaving is inexcusable. He should be condemned, and the party should move on.

We can elect a president that does all the things we want without all the bullshit.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Now is the most dangerous time in our country. Trump needs to be stripped of all authority before he does something truly horrible in desperation or retaliation.
Just wanted to repeat what I said almost exactly two months ago. And here we are today.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:47 pm
Indy wrote:
Perhaps he believes that they were his supporters, idk. I didn't notice him saying that.
funny how you regularly don't notice him doing awful things to allow you to keep supporting this racist, sexist, xenophobic, anti-democratic conman.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:50 pm
We can just disagree on this. What does it say about me? What kind of thing are you going to impugn on my character?
It makes me sad. A large portion of the population isn't ready for the internet. There's just too much raw and unfiltered content and it is very challenging to go through it all and determine what portion can be trusted and what portion is BS. We probably need to be teaching digital media literacy in schools so that children won't fall victim to this sort of thing.

As it is, we have millions of people who are willing and eager to believe and re-share questionable tweets to try to reinforce their world views. Anybody sharing a conspiratorial narrative about today's shocking events that tries to shift blame away from Trump/MAGA to antifa/BLM/others does not have the ability to discern quality of sources of online information. "CockHolliday" and "MagaMary4" are not reliable sources to cite for factual information. This should be obvious to all and should not need to be explained.

This huge media illiteracy problem may be one that can be remediated, but not by the kind of logical and calm discussion we engage in here. Any thoughtful refutations posted here will be abandoned in favor of some other random tweet that more pleasantly aligns with the reader's existing world view. We can't fix it yet because we aren't even to Step 1 of the process yet: The person doesn't even know that there is a problem. He doesn't even have the sense to be properly embarrassed.
Seems a bit over the top, Marty. Is there only your truth and your discernment? Didn't you condemn the Covington kid of threatening the Native American immediately after it was reported and called for the full weight of the law to be taken against him? It's a bit insulting, and that's not cool.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

My discernment is in question, and apparently I shouldn't be allowed to use the computer box and look on dem interwebs thingys.

Have any of you followed Patrick Byrne and what he's been doing? The founder of Overstock.com and one of the developers of blockchain. Not a Dem or a Republican, never voted for either party. I just saw this. He has some interesting things he's been tracking on the election fraud. There are some interesting things in the comments too, but you might need to be instructed in appropriate sources, like CNN, MSNBC, NYT, Washington Post, Bloomberg News, ect.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

The country badly needs for Trump to at least soften his stance. He doesn’t even have to come all the way out and say “I was wrong,” which I’m not sure he’s psychologically capable of doing. Just say, “I believe I should have won the election, but I can’t prove it. It’s time to move on and accept what has happened.” That would be sufficient, I think, to allow all but his most radical supporters to back down. I don’t expect him to do anything but what he feels is in his own self-interest, though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:11 pm
My discernment is in question, and apparently I shouldn't be allowed to use the computer box and look on dem interwebs thingys.

Have any of you followed Patrick Byrne and what he's been doing? The founder of Overstock.com and one of the developers of blockchain. Not a Dem or a Republican, never voted for either party. I just saw this. He has some interesting things he's been tracking on the election fraud. There are some interesting things in the comments too, but you might need to be instructed in appropriate sources, like CNN, MSNBC, NYT, Washington Post, Bloomberg News, ect.
He resigned in August 2019,[10] following revelations that he had been in an intimate relationship with Maria Butina and comments he made promoting the Deep State conspiracy theory.[11]

Indy

Post by Indy »

BKinSJC wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:19 pm
The country badly needs for Trump to at least soften his stance. He doesn’t even have to come all the way out and say “I was wrong,” which I’m not sure he’s psychologically capable of doing. Just say, “I believe I should have won the election, but I can’t prove it. It’s time to move on and accept what has happened.” That would be sufficient, I think, to allow all but his most radical supporters to back down. I don’t expect him to do anything but what he feels is in his own self-interest, though.
exactly. narcissist. he doesn't care about any American unless they get him money or power.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:21 pm
In2ition wrote:

He resigned in August 2019,[10] following revelations that he had been in an intimate relationship with Maria Butina and comments he made promoting the Deep State conspiracy theory.[11]
Yes, he talks about that. He's not hiding his story in any way.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:23 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:21 pm
In2ition wrote:

Yes, he talks about that. He's not hiding his story in any way.

so you agree he is promoting a deep state conspiracy theory. got it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yes, he has a history of talking up bullshit in the past. But did you hear the bullshit he has to say today? Wow, we should take a look at that!

Again, what reality are you living in?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:35 pm
Yes, he has a history of talking up bullshit in the past. But did you hear the bullshit he has to say today? Wow, we should take a look at that!

Again, what reality are you living in?
How do you know it's BS? Seriously, were you there?