2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 pm
I really enjoyed Bill Maher tonight.
Oh, cool. Just getting ready to watch it.
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:37 am
Joe Biden is winning this thing.

The Trump nightmare is about to be over.

They can complain about made-up fraud and cheating, but ultimately they don't have any power to overturn a lawful election. They lost.

Joe Biden is our 46th President.
It is an incomplete victory since McConnell is going to try to obstruct anything that goes into the Senate. But there's a good chance that you'll see a dominant coalition of moderate GOP and Dem senators coalesce to push through reasonable proposals -- and block anything too progressive. This will probably lead to a fissure between the Democratic Party's moderate and liberal wings, which will be ripe for exploitation in 2022 and beyond.

But for now -- an incomplete victory is so much better than the alternative. Congrats folks and thanks for voting if you did.

Cap

Post by Cap »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:03 am
It is an incomplete victory since McConnell is going to try to obstruct anything that goes into the Senate. But there's a good chance that you'll see a dominant coalition of moderate GOP and Dem senators coalesce to push through reasonable proposals -- and block anything too progressive.
Not really. Just because you can get 50+ Dems and moderate Reps to agree on a proposal doesn’t mean McConnell has to put it up for a vote.

Besides, what moderate Reps? The way they’ve been acting lately, it seems unrealistic to expect anyone besides Romney to cross party lines on a matter of significance.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Dems need to do whatever it takes to purge the right of those not acting in good faith. And McConnell's already said he'd only allow "centrist" picks for Biden's cabinet, which his nonsense. So essentially, he'd be picking who gets the jobs. Trump used the Vacancies Act to put in his own people without approval- Biden should do the same.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It was just made official. PA's been called for Biden.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:24 am
Dems need to do whatever it takes to purge the right of those not acting in good faith.
That’s all of them.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Cap wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:55 am
ShelC wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:24 am
Dems need to do whatever it takes to purge the right of those not acting in good faith.
That’s all of them.
+1

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

How do you purge politicians from the other side? Only American voters can purge the other side and they just voted.

Trump has been purged and he was the worst of the bunch. I’ll take that as a win. McConnell comes in second and he isn’t going anywhere unless his health continues to decline.

Trump broke all the norms. I say Biden should absolutely do what Trump did with the Vacancies act if McConnell wants to play his games. Biden should reverse as many of Trumps BS Executive orders as he can right away. He should reintroduce America to our allies that have been wondering if we are allies for the past four years. It’s probably too late to get back in the Iran agreement. Iran will probably never trust us enough to even talk with us again. We will be back in the Paris agreement soon I suspect. Biden will put someone in the EPA again that wants to protect the environment instead of destroy the environment like Trumps evil picks did. Generally go back to putting people in charge of our institutions that actually know something about those institutions instead of just being loyal lackeys willing to do whatever the boss tells them.

The FBI, DOJ and intelligence communities credibility has taken a complete beating under Trump. Hopefully Biden can restore that. Biden not Tweeting insults and accusing them of evil deeds daily will probably help. Trump fired a bunch of Inspector Generals to rid himself of any oversight. That was a loophole Trump found in the system that he exploited. That loophole needs to be shut down so so e other President doesn’t exploit it. Make it so Presidents cannot fire Inspector Generals.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Investigate them all, public hearings and actual sentencing for crimes committed. Even if means sacrificing some of their own. Loeffler for insider trading, Kemp in GA for voter suppression, Barr, Miller, McConnell's wife, they're all guilty of something so get your hands dirty and do it. Dems should be out for blood otherwise we'll have the same thing in 2024 that we had 2016-2020.

Cap

Post by Cap »

The real point of the hopeless legal challenges:
Reuters reports that the Republican National Committee is seeking to raise $60 million to fund President Donald Trump's legal battles over the election results—although the fine print of the message to donors indicates that up to half of each contribution could go toward retiring Trump's pre-existing campaign debt.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/ ... y-existing

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Grifters gonna grift. Gotta get one last scam in before leaving.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Investigate them all, public hearings and actual sentencing for crimes committed. Even if means sacrificing some of their own. Loeffler for insider trading, Kemp in GA for voter suppression, Barr, Miller, McConnell's wife, they're all guilty of something so get your hands dirty and do it. Dems should be out for blood otherwise we'll have the same thing in 2024 that we had 2016-2020.
I don’t know bout that. Clearly the GOP has been out for blood since the dawn of time and many think Dems should be just as ruthless. Obama tried to reach across the isle early on and the GOP slapped it away. Maybe there is no reconciliation and Democrats should treat Republicans as the enemy like Republicans do to Dems and bend as many rules to the breaking point like Trump and the GOP did just because they can. I just don’t think it’s the right thing to do and I don’t think it makes our country better in the long run.

I think Biden won by being the opposite of Trump. I think a lot of Americans are sick of the fighting and just want a functional government that tries to help Americans. Our government IS broken and Biden won’t be able to fix it even of he wanted. What will fix it? I am not an expert on fixing governments. I do know that ours is dysfunctional and have deduced that since our leaders are incapable of working together at solving our needs that they are useless to us. Endless investigations into each other are getting old.

We have some real problems that need an immediate response and we are too busy fighting with each other to be bothered with those it seems. I wish Biden all the luck in the world. He is going to need it. I expect 100% total gridlock.

Republicans are going to be angry at Trump losing. There will probably be some violence. Hopefully that doesn’t escalate. Not everyone is in a militia. Trump could help a lot to cool things if he wanted to. I doubt he wants to.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

My son sent me a video from the New York streets this morning. Everybody honking their horns. Everybody cheering and celebrating. It was awesome!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just ordered my Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches from Philly Frank's Steaks here in San Marcos, CA.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Now is the most dangerous time in our country. Trump needs to be stripped of all authority before he does something truly horrible in desperation or retaliation.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Trump needs to be stripped of all authority before he does something truly horrible in desperation or retaliation.
On what legal grounds?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The threat of doing something truly horrible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:29 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Trump needs to be stripped of all authority before he does something truly horrible in desperation or retaliation.
On what legal grounds?
I am more positive for once. The Emperor has no clothes and everyone is laughing at him. I suspect that folks will start looking towards Biden for guidance even if Trump tweets about something.

I am so glad that the data error in AZ got it called prematurely by Fox -- after it looked like Trump didn't have a clear path to victory, Republicans stopped following him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm hoping he just fades away, mostly embarrassed and now disinterested, and let's Pence and the administration (anyone left) handle the transition. If he's regrouping and preparing some "This is a coup, I'm not conceding, we're fighting this all the way until the end" speech, then there's no telling what he or his base will do.

Maybe there's a middle ground where he just tells his base he's not conceding, will fight thru the courts (knowing it's useless), fundraises (grifts) some more and will continue fighting "for all the Americans", but really just slinks off to start his TV network.