2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
User avatar
3rdside
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by 3rdside » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Right, no, I wasn’t comparing your bible quote to dr Seuss, that was the GP.

And I definitely won’t be claiming the MSNBC’s and CNN’s of the world are the gospel of truth any time soon as fully acknowledge the bias there (Steele report, Iraq etc) but I do give higher credence to more established press in general (as one would to, say, universities).

Fox News is so bad Rupert’s son James left the company as the heir apparent (which means it’s to be Lachlan’s) to start a company solely designed to fight fake news and protect democracy:

Article about James leaving Fox News:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp


Website to James’s new company:

http://www.qdvm.org/#intro


The Gateway Pundit and the like all appear to be derivatives of Fox News, so can’t be trusted (or at least trusted far less than the WSJ’s, BBC’s, Reuters and FT’s of the world).

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 20691
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Superbone » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm

I'll be honest. I didn't really think you believed all those sources you were providing, In2. I thought you were just looking for opposing viewpoints.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by In2ition » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm
I'll be honest. I didn't really think you believed all those sources you were providing, In2. I thought you were just looking for opposing viewpoints.
There is some truth to that. You guys are going to roll your own eyes on this based on your feelings about the locations I cite, but I'm just looking for the truth, wherever it comes from. I'm not looking for opposing viewpoints, just to be the opposition or pick fights.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
3rdside
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by 3rdside » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:35 pm

The other side of 'investigative journalism' (and I read Vice News occasionally, the moral of the story being use discretion when citing sources..)


How Investigative Journalism Flourished in Hostile Russia
A new wave of news outlets has used conventional, and unconventional, methods to pierce the veil of Putin’s power.

By Ben Smith, New York Times
Feb. 21, 2021
Spoiler: show/hide

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 4507
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Nodack » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm

What?

McConnell says he'll 'absolutely' support Trump in 2024 if he's the GOP nominee
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/politics ... index.html

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by In2ition » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:43 am

That is very surprising.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by In2ition » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:24 am

House Democrats ask Biden to give up sole power to launch nuclear bomb?
https://nypost.com/2021/02/25/democrats ... lear-bomb/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rikes.html
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12597
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Mori Chu » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm
What?

McConnell says he'll 'absolutely' support Trump in 2024 if he's the GOP nominee
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/politics ... index.html
Of course he will. That speech criticizing Trump for his 1/6 coup was just lip service so Mitch wouldn't lose donors. Mitch is 100% all-in on the party.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by In2ition » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:49 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm
What?

McConnell says he'll 'absolutely' support Trump in 2024 if he's the GOP nominee
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/politics ... index.html
Of course he will. That speech criticizing Trump for his 1/6 coup was just lip service so Mitch wouldn't lose donors. Mitch is 100% all-in on the party.
If that's what he thinks, then he's only worried about some BIG donors, but he has his wife's family and China ties to help him out. The Rep party is suffering in donations right now from most other people.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Indy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:25 am

He would support Benedict Arnold if he were the nominee. Power over country.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by In2ition » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:00 pm

🤣 I totally believe it.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 4507
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Nodack » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:21 pm

Nothing that guy says can be taken at face value.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Indy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:26 pm

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:00 pm
🤣 I totally believe it.
It wasn't hyperbole either. In the past 6 weeks he has given 2 speeches on the Senate floor indicating he holds Trump accountable (at least in part) to the January 6th insurrection. And then yesterday he says he will support him for president again. Fucking maddening.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by In2ition » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:16 pm

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:26 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:00 pm
🤣 I totally believe it.
It wasn't hyperbole either. In the past 6 weeks he has given 2 speeches on the Senate floor indicating he holds Trump accountable (at least in part) to the January 6th insurrection. And then yesterday he says he will support him for president again. Fucking maddening.
That's the funny thing, I know it's not hyperbole. Watch, he will be back to hating him on Monday.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Indy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:57 pm

To be clear, he didn't say anything about liking/hating him. He is a means to an end, and nothing more.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by In2ition » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:00 pm

I should have used something like "opposed" instead, but you knew what I meant I'm sure.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Indy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:07 pm

Yeah, I guess I just know he hates him all the time. There are only like 5 senators that don't hate him.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 4507
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Nodack » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:59 am

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:16 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:26 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:00 pm
🤣 I totally believe it.
It wasn't hyperbole either. In the past 6 weeks he has given 2 speeches on the Senate floor indicating he holds Trump accountable (at least in part) to the January 6th insurrection. And then yesterday he says he will support him for president again. Fucking maddening.
That's the funny thing, I know it's not hyperbole. Watch, he will be back to hating him on Monday.
Maybe what McConnell is saying is that he thinks Trump was responsible for the Capital attack and would like to see Trump held responsible for all his BS but, if the Republican party elects him again, he will support Trump because he’s a Republican and we know McConnell is all about that.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 20691
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Superbone » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:46 am

Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:59 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:16 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:26 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:00 pm
🤣 I totally believe it.
It wasn't hyperbole either. In the past 6 weeks he has given 2 speeches on the Senate floor indicating he holds Trump accountable (at least in part) to the January 6th insurrection. And then yesterday he says he will support him for president again. Fucking maddening.
That's the funny thing, I know it's not hyperbole. Watch, he will be back to hating him on Monday.
Maybe what McConnell is saying is that he thinks Trump was responsible for the Capital attack and would like to see Trump held responsible for all his BS but, if the Republican party elects him again, he will support Trump because he’s a Republican and we know McConnell is all about that.
Party over country!
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 4507
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Nodack » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:07 am

Biden tells the world 'America is back.' The world isn't so sure.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bid ... 985195.php
WASHINGTON - For President Joe Biden and his circle, a low point in America's global standing under President Donald Trump came when he blew up a meeting of U.S. allies in 2018, accusing close partners of "robbing" the United States and hurling insults at his Canadian host.

So it was no accident that Biden's push to reclaim American leadership in recent days has pointedly included a starring role for Canada, as the new administration seeks to woo an array of allies with a message that "America is back."

But it's increasingly clear that Biden cannot simply sweep up the broken diplomatic china and restore the world order that reigned when he was vice president.There is one simple reason: Allies know Trumpism could always come back, either in a 2024 bid by Trump himself or from another presidential hopeful offering a similar pitch.

Post Reply