Biden Administration misc. activities

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Biden Administration misc. activities

Post by Nodack »

On Jan. 24, 2020 Trump tweeted: “China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American people, I want to thank President Xi.”

That was right when Covid started in the US. We had one case. Then outbreak got worse quickly and Trump needed someone to blame and started blaming China. He called it the Kung flu. The Dems were using the Russian angle so Trump went with the China angle. Then they started blaming everything on China and Republicans started claiming all the Dems were secret Chinese spies.

This was the official Republican stance on China sent to everyone.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... not-trump/
A new Republican strategy memo advises Senate candidates to blame China for the coronavirus outbreak, link Democrats to the Chinese government and avoid discussing President Trump’s handling of the crisis.
The 57-page memo, drafted by a D.C.-area GOP strategist, was distributed to campaigns this month by the National Republican Senatorial Committee. It’s existence was first reported Friday by Politico.
If asked whether Trump is at fault for the nation’s unpreparedness as the virus spread, the candidates are told, “don’t defend Trump, other than the China Travel Ban — attack China,” according to the memo, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post. The memo urges Republicans to acknowledge that U.S. public health officials “acted late,” then say that is China’s fault.

GOP memo advises candidates to 'attack China' over coronavirus
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-me ... oronavirus

The National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) has sent various GOP campaigns a memo encouraging attacks on China in relation to the coronavirus pandemic and guidance on how to link their Democratic rivals to Beijing.

The 57-page document details a range of strategies from how to blame China for the global outbreak and the loss of American jobs, to accusing Democratic opponents of failing to stand up against the Chinese Communist Party and how to weather accusations of racism.

"China caused this pandemic by covering it up," one talking point states, while accusing Beijing of arresting doctors who sounded early alarms. "They lied and pretended the disease could not be transmitted."

https://www.congress.gov/116/meeting/ho ... -SD002.pdf

The National Republican Senatorial Committee has sent campaigns a detailed, 57-page memo authored by a top Republican strategist advising GOP candidates to address the coronavirus crisis by aggressively attacking China.
The memo includes advice on everything from how to tie Democratic candidates to the Chinese government to how to deal with accusations of racism. It stresses three main lines of assault: That China caused the virus “by covering it up,” that Democrats are “soft on China,” and that Republicans will “push for sanctions on China for its role in spreading this pandemic.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:07 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:51 pm
That wasn't the best article to explain how the jobs are lost, nor how many are left. In fact, it wasn't even all that great for your argument, imo. I'm going to be a little bit skeptical of any study that is driven by Chinese solar companies that are pushing to get rid of the tariffs and overwhelm the market with their solar panels.
This is the US trade association. Why are you thinking they are foreign solar companies driving this study? You think each state is importing labor from China to install these things on your roof?
Of course they wouldn't import labor from China to install them, lol.

Idk how I could have thought the report was driven by China. Navarro called SEIA “a loose confederation of Chinese solar companies seeking to destroy American solar manufacturing jobs and U.S. solar installers that want cheap Chinese panels and don’t care how many American jobs are destroyed by China’s heavily subsidized industry.”
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

You took the one quote from a trump official that is known for lying and disregarded the rest of the article and facts. Go look up SEIA. You can see their members right on their website. They are local companies all over the US, not a front for China.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans are explicitly pro-pollution. This is largely because of bribes and financial incentives, but it's also because most Republicans are age 65+ and therefore will be dead before the planet they've destroyed is uninhabitable. And since Republicans do not care about other people, they therefore don't care about the inhabitability of the planet so long as it does not affect them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:44 am
You took the one quote from a trump official that is known for lying and disregarded the rest of the article and facts. Go look up SEIA. You can see their members right on their website. They are local companies all over the US, not a front for China.
Well, it was in the same original article that YOU provided. If you didn't like everything that was in there, you shouldn't have provided it. Now, you are disseminating what I can and can not use? Come on, man. I'm not surprised though. Let's just agree to disagree on this, because I'm pretty sure that you haven't researched every company in SEIA or their financial dealings.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:35 am
Republicans are explicitly pro-pollution. This is largely because of bribes and financial incentives, but it's also because most Republicans are age 65+ and therefore will be dead before the planet they've destroyed is uninhabitable. And since Republicans do not care about other people, they therefore don't care about the inhabitability of the planet so long as it does not affect them.
Wow, let me get this straight. Republicans are motivated by destroying the environment and want to kill the planet because they are going to die soon? Probably because of covid and this is their revenge plan and because of money. Sounds like a nefarious conspiracy, but it's just out in the open. Did I get that right?

No wonder why they are making lists so that they should be systematically rounded up and put into the gulag.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:37 am
Indy wrote:
Well, it was in the same original article that YOU provided. If you didn't like everything that was in there, you shouldn't have provided it. Now, you are disseminating what I can and can not use? Come on, man. I'm not surprised though. Let's just agree to disagree on this, because I'm pretty sure that you haven't researched every company in SEIA or their financial dealings.
That is an interesting way to think. I don't use sources because I agree with everything they say. That would be very short-sighted and echo-chamber-y of me.

The facts in the article were pretty clear. The rebuttal to the article, which the reporter included (to their credit!) was a quote from Peter Navarro about how you can't trust trade associations because they are funded by China. Of course he just made a baseless claim with no evidence to back it up. That is clear in the article, too.

And you are right that I did not read up on the hundreds of local businesses that are a part of the trade organization. But I did go through several states and look up their participants and check out their funding...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:35 am
I don't think it is fair to say the GOP is pro-pollution. But it is fair to say they are not anti-pollution, and they are pro-anything that pays my bills regardless of cost to this nation or planet, up to and including natural disasters and insurrection.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:30 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
That is an interesting way to think. I don't use sources because I agree with everything they say. That would be very short-sighted and echo-chamber-y of me.

The facts in the article were pretty clear. The rebuttal to the article, which the reporter included (to their credit!) was a quote from Peter Navarro about how you can't trust trade associations because they are funded by China. Of course he just made a baseless claim with no evidence to back it up. That is clear in the article, too.

And you are right that I did not read up on the hundreds of local businesses that are a part of the trade organization. But I did go through several states and look up their participants and check out their funding...
I think it's baseless to claim that he doesn't have the evidence. You have zero evidence that he doesn't have it. I've gone through a number of the companies myself just from their own websites, only about 6-7 random companies and they aren't all entirely American companies and I've seen many of them were founded overseas. I don't have the time to look at all of them or research their funding, but I wouldn't doubt that China has their hands in a great many of them since many have foreign partners or founders.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:41 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:30 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

I think it's baseless to claim that he doesn't have the evidence. You have zero evidence that he doesn't have it. I've gone through a number of the companies myself just from their own websites, only about 6-7 random companies and they aren't all entirely American companies and I've seen many of them were founded overseas. I don't have the time to look at all of them or research their funding, but I wouldn't doubt that China has their hands in a great many of them since many have foreign partners or founders.
Why does it matter? China is full of human beings, just like the USA. If we are getting some parts from China for solar installations here in the US, big deal. Maybe it's time we start making better parts here then or find a better way to source the parts in the US. We also need to quit associating all things China = Bad. China = Bad. Everything I read from the GOP is nothing but frequently bashing of China. The world needs to start thinking about tackling issues on a global scale. Pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement was a terrible decision and I'm glad we're back. Smart minds all around the globe need to come together to figure out how to efficiently capture carbon and reduce fossil fuel reliance.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

And of course we import solar panels from China. That is where the vast majority are made. The issue was that Trump's tariffs put Americans out of work because they couldn't get as many into the country for them to install.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The world needs to start thinking about tackling issues on a global scale. Pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement was a terrible decision and I'm glad we're back. Smart minds all around the globe need to come together to figure out how to efficiently capture carbon and reduce fossil fuel reliance.
HAHAHAHAHAHA STUPID GLOBALIST.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:03 pm

Why does it matter? China is full of human beings, just like the USA. If we are getting some parts from China for solar installations here in the US, big deal. Maybe it's time we start making better parts here then or find a better way to source the parts in the US. We also need to quit associating all things China = Bad. China = Bad. Everything I read from the GOP is nothing but frequently bashing of China. The world needs to start thinking about tackling issues on a global scale. Pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement was a terrible decision and I'm glad we're back. Smart minds all around the globe need to come together to figure out how to efficiently capture carbon and reduce fossil fuel reliance.
I agree that the US needs to start making better parts here. I have no problems with the Chinese people, they are wonderful people, just the CCP.
Totally disagree with the Paris Climate Accords. When is it going to start holding China, which has the 2nd largest economy in the world accountable for being by far the largest polluter?

The CCP is really f'n bad. This shouldn't even be debatable. How about CCP = Bad? F them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:15 pm
And of course we import solar panels from China. That is where the vast majority are made. The issue was that Trump's tariffs put Americans out of work because they couldn't get as many into the country for them to install.
China has totally saturated the market with cheap solar panels to essentially corner the market like a monopoly. How can you compete with that, when they are selling them for cheaper than companies in the US can make them for? Maybe there is something you know about the tariffs that I don't know that is causing a them to not be allowed into the country. My understanding is that it just raises the price of them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

You don't think asking US consumers to pay 30% more for solar panels won't lower the availability and quantity of those panels? It was just a way for Trump to say that he was charging China for things, when in reality he was just charging us. Like the wall. And when his daughter got her products/patents cleared in China, those 30% tariffs reduced to 15%. Hmm.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:54 pm
You don't think asking US consumers to pay 30% more for solar panels won't lower the availability and quantity of those panels? It was just a way for Trump to say that he was charging China for things, when in reality he was just charging us. Like the wall. And when his daughter got her products/patents cleared in China, those 30% tariffs reduced to 15%. Hmm.
It is basic economics that when price goes up, demand usually goes down. When supply doesn't meet demand, price also goes up. When supply is greater than demand, price goes down. ...I think I have that right. It's been almost 30 yrs since Macro and Micro Econ in college.

That is an interesting fact. Two things that happened in close relation to each other becomes a correlation, not a coincidence. Yet, at times I've given you guys many examples of many things happening at the same time, and it's not considered a correlation, just a coincidence. Hmm.

Indy

Post by Indy »

You are being obtuse when it comes to your king. This isn't about demand going down because the price went up. Donald Trump decided to initiate a tariff to punish a country into giving his family what he wanted, and didn't care that he used his public office to do that, or that he hurt thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of Americans to do it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm
You are being obtuse when it comes to your king. This isn't about demand going down because the price went up. Donald Trump decided to initiate a tariff to punish a country into giving his family what he wanted, and didn't care that he used his public office to do that, or that he hurt thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of Americans to do it.
You could be right, but you lost me after the ad hominin argument. So tariffs didn't actually stop supply? Got it. You're right though, I could be obtuse in general.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It isn't an ad hominem argument, by the way. I am not saying, "In2 you are smelly and that is why your argument is phooey!" It is specifically pointing out your blind spot when it comes to this.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Oh you meant the comment about "your king" as a compliment. If that's the case, I'm sorry for saying that.