Biden Administration misc. activities

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Re: Biden Administration misc. activities

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:40 pm
Oh you meant the comment about "your king" as a compliment. If that's the case, I'm sorry for saying that.
It's hard to understand where you derived your positive disposition of Donald Trump. Do you still feel he was a great POTUS?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:05 pm
In2ition wrote:
Oh you meant the comment about "your king" as a compliment. If that's the case, I'm sorry for saying that.
It's hard to understand where you derived your positive disposition of Donald Trump. Do you still feel he was a great POTUS?
Is this a real question?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:14 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Is this a real question?
You frequently defend the choices of his administration. So yeah, it's a real question.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:37 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Is this a real question?
You frequently defend the choices of his administration. So yeah, it's a real question.
I thought he did a terrible job of picking and vetting his cabinet or trusting the idiots that did it and keeping a ton of holdovers from the Obama admin. They were constantly, even up to the end of his term sabotaging him, leaking info and giving bad policy advice over the yrs. So many snakes in the WH.

Everyone loved him before he went into politics. As soon as he said he was going to run for President, they turned on him so quick, and haven't stopped attacking him. He wasn't part of the club or swamp and was an outsider, no matter what you think. He wasn't always cordial or pleasant to his opponents, but that didn't bother me. I think that almost everyone in Washington is corrupt. Like a bombardier knows he's over the target when he starts getting heavy fire. He aligns with many of my own things that matter to me, like his stance on abortion in particular. I can't in good conscience support a politician that's for abortion. Yes, I do think he was a good POTUS, you just wouldn't know that because the media wouldn't report all the good he actually did.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:12 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Is this a real question?
I thought he did a terrible job of picking and vetting his cabinet or trusting the idiots that did it and keeping a ton of holdovers from the Obama admin. They were constantly, even up to the end of his term sabotaging him, leaking info and giving bad policy advice over the yrs. So many snakes in the WH.

Everyone loved him before he went into politics. As soon as he said he was going to run for President, they turned on him so quick, and haven't stopped attacking him. He wasn't part of the club or swamp and was an outsider, no matter what you think. He wasn't always cordial or pleasant to his opponents, but that didn't bother me. I think that almost everyone in Washington is corrupt. Like a bombardier knows he's over the target when he starts getting heavy fire. He aligns with many of my own things that matter to me, like his stance on abortion in particular. I can't in good conscience support a politician that's for abortion. Yes, I do think he was a good POTUS, you just wouldn't know that because the media wouldn't report all the good he actually did.
Are you fricken' serious?! Wow.

Trump has been a scumbag his whole life. Countless people were screwed over by him before he became president. I, for one, have never seen one ounce of decency in him and have never appreciated him in any way. He just showed his full true self when in office, building up to a crescendo at the end. He is a horrible excuse for human life. Always has been. Can I make myself any more clear?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:51 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Is this a real question?

Trump has been a scumbag his whole life. Countless people were screwed over by him before he became president. I, for one, have never seen one ounce of decency in him and have never appreciated him in any way. He just showed his full true self when in office, building up to a crescendo at the end. He is a horrible excuse for human life. Always has been. Can I make myself any more clear?
Are you serious? They had him on all the late night shows, in movies, people always tried to get near him or angle to sit near him at awards shows, daytime talk shows had him on all the time, rappers talked about him, they gave him his own freaking show. He was friends with everyone rich and famous. You act like he was never liked, which would be completely false.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yes, I do think he was a good POTUS, you just wouldn't know that because the media wouldn't report all the good he actually did.
In2: What were some of the best accomplishments of Trump's presidency, in your view? What if anything are some areas where you wish he had done better?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Is this a real question?

Are you serious? They had him on all the late night shows, in movies, people always tried to get near him or angle to sit near him at awards shows, daytime talk shows had him on all the time, rappers talked about him, they gave him his own freaking show. He was friends with everyone rich and famous. You act like he was never liked, which would be completely false.
Because he was a celebrity and was friends with rich and famous people, he was a great POTUS and great person.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:21 am
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Because he was a celebrity and was friends with rich and famous people, he was a great POTUS and great person.
Yeah, we must hang out in different circles than In2 does.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:21 am
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

I don't recall saying that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:18 am
Yes, I do think he was a good POTUS, you just wouldn't know that because the media wouldn't report all the good he actually did.
In2: What were some of the best accomplishments of Trump's presidency, in your view? What if anything are some areas where you wish he had done better?
These are just my opinion, and I realize that many of you have a different perspective, and may laugh and ridicule my own opinion. So be it.

Facilitating Peace in Middle East
Turning North Korea into a relative non-threat anymore.
Lowering drug prices like Epi pens and Insulin along with fast tracking generic drugs.
Securing our Power grid
Making the US energy independent and lowering gas and oil prices.
Building back & updating the military
Not starting or getting the US in any new wars
Eliminating ISIS
Getting out of the Paris Climate Accords
Building of the Keystone Pipeline
Increasing the priority of law enforcement to hopefully find and end human trafficking.
Allowing many Republicans to expose themselves as the corrupt POS they actually are.

Then we can talk about the all the things he's done for the black community, such as:
1. He signed a $360 million grant to support Historically Black Colleges and Universities last year — by far the most that any president has ever appropriated for HBCUs. Even America’s first black president, Barack Obama, never allocated that much money to HBCUs.
2. President Trump’s “Opportunity Zones” initiative is spurring even more economic growth in underdeveloped communities around the country. Through targeted tax incentives, the initiative is projected to generate approximately $100 billion of new private investment in communities that need it most.
3. The national black unemployment rate is at an all-time low of 5.5 percent. Unemployment for black women is even lower, at just 4.4 percent, before the pandemic closed businesses and put people out of work.
4. More importantly, the overall black-white employment gap is smaller than it has ever been.
5. The FIRST STEP Act also included significant reforms to address recidivism, such as helping prisons improve their rehabilitation programs and allowing non-violent inmates to earn early-release credits for good behavior more easily. Thanks to this legislation, non-violent inmates will now be equipped with the professional and social skills they need to become productive members of society following their release.
6. Under Trump, poverty rates for African Americans and Hispanic Americans reached their lowest levels since the U.S. began collecting such data.
7. The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans.

Things I wish he would have done better and/or outright failed at:
Gotten rid of all the Obama holdovers immediately, that did everything that they could to sabotage, leak, lie, and/or stall
Done a better job vetting and appointing the people around him
I wish he would have done a better job being conscious of and stop any possible conflict of interests with his kids or his businesses.
Not eliminating the Cages that were built by Obama on the border after he was accused of separating parents from kids in a false story
Not replacing Obamacare with "something much better"

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

No Senate Republicans voted to advance the stimulus package that'd give most Americans $1,400 one-time checks

https://www.businessinsider.com/not-a-s ... age-2021-2

Fuck senate Republicans. If Biden had compromised and given them everything they wanted they still wouldn’t have voted for the bill. They sure couldn't wait to vote for tax cuts for millionaires though.

You want to know why I say fuck the GOP and Republican party In2ition and anyone else? This is why. Don't try to appease them Biden. They'll never be your friend. What's the point of having a Democratic majority if you still need the Republican vote?

Indy

Post by Indy »

If anyone asks why they got accomplished after 6 years of their majority, it is a trillion dollar tax cut for millionaires/billionaires/corporations, and Supreme Court stacking. None of that helps the vast majority of people that voted for them. I mean, McConnell comes from one of the poorest states in the country, and he voted to take money out of their hands. It is crazy.

The GOP Senators are literally famous for obstructionism (and now insurrection).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Al least I did read that the house will vote to strip that nut job Greene from her committee assignments.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:56 am
Al least I did read that the house will vote to strip that nut job Greene from her committee assignments.
And only because the minority leader is afraid to do it himself. crazy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:15 am
No Senate Republicans voted to advance the stimulus package that'd give most Americans $1,400 one-time checks

Fuck senate Republicans. If Biden had compromised and given them everything they wanted they still wouldn’t have voted for the bill. They sure couldn't wait to vote for tax cuts for millionaires though.

You want to know why I say fuck the GOP and Republican party In2ition and anyone else? This is why. Don't try to appease them Biden. They'll never be your friend. What's the point of having a Democratic majority if you still need the Republican vote?
Hey, I'm all for passing it. I didn't tell them to not vote for it. What were their reasons for not voting for it, and don't give me what you "think" their reasons were? Let's see if they are bunk or have merit.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

Hey, I'm all for passing it. I didn't tell them to not vote for it. What were their reasons for not voting for it, and don't give me what you "think" their reasons were? Let's see if they are bunk or have merit.
They want to trim it down and be fiscally conservative, as the GOP motto seems to be at all times. They are proposing cutting it from 1.9 trillion to 600 million and one of the largest ways they hope to accomplish that is by targeting the stimulus checks to individuals that make less than 50k and families that make less than 100k. That would eliminate 29 million stimulus recipients, which would be huge savings. They then want to cut the $1,400 amount down to $1000 for those that meet the new requirements.

Their reasons are conservatives being "conservative" with all things, as always, which hurts middle class families (which I fall into as a single income family that makes $130k). Meanwhile, as always, they don't mind making tax cuts for the wealthy. I've read that if the 2017 tax cuts that went to those wealthy Americans were eliminated, the 1.9 trillion dollar stimulus proposal would cost nothing. I also read somewhere that if Steve Bezos gave every single Amazon employee $150k, he'd still be worth nearly 17 billion dollars. And yet the GOP continues to give Bezos and other folks at the top of the food chain tax cuts while voting to be "responsible" and "conservative" when it comes to giving the rest of Americans, especially the middle class, the shaft over and over again.

As for more specific reasoning, I was listening to a podcast where they said the GOP came to the decision to target these stimulus checks due to a study that found that families that made more than $67k were more likely to put some of the money into savings (you know, being responsible is a bad thing, apparently) and those that made less than $67k spent the entire check right away to help with immediate needs. Forget the fact that this stimulus money comes from taxes we've all been paying for years. How dare we get a slice of that back during these times. I know that personally, we put away a chunk of the stimulus check in our emergency savings while using some of it to help with some needed home repairs. There is value in building up your emergency funds and saving money, especially as a single income family with a mortgage, truck payment, etc. etc. and a newborn child that has to budget fairly aggressively. You never know when an emergency will come about or you're looking for a new job.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Really good summary.

One thing: Jeff Bezos. I think you conflated Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos into Steve Bezos, who is clearly a Bond villain.

And yes, he made enough money during the pandemic that he could give nearly a million Amazon employees a $150k bonus and not lose a dollar from before the pandemic.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Other than a few folks like Romney, Sasse, Murkowski, and Collins, there's no point in trying to work with any congressional Republicans. They just work to obstruct everything the Dems want to do. Old-style legislation was that you worked with the other guys to find compromise. But that was based on a model where if you worked together, you could actually find something that made everybody happy enough to vote for it. That seems to be totally gone now. Nobody in the GOP is willing to reach across the aisle and compromise. Their entire party ethos is based on "owning the libs" now. So you might as well just ignore them and legislate as you see fit. Their constituency is a bunch of old dying white racists anyway. Let them and their party literally die off and move the country on without them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:39 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

They want to trim it down and be fiscally conservative, as the GOP motto seems to be at all times. They are proposing cutting it from 1.9 trillion to 600 million and one of the largest ways they hope to accomplish that is by targeting the stimulus checks to individuals that make less than 50k and families that make less than 100k. That would eliminate 29 million stimulus recipients, which would be huge savings. They then want to cut the $1,400 amount down to $1000 for those that meet the new requirements.

Their reasons are conservatives being "conservative" with all things, as always, which hurts middle class families (which I fall into as a single income family that makes $130k). Meanwhile, as always, they don't mind making tax cuts for the wealthy. I've read that if the 2017 tax cuts that went to those wealthy Americans were eliminated, the 1.9 trillion dollar stimulus proposal would cost nothing. I also read somewhere that if Steve Bezos gave every single Amazon employee $150k, he'd still be worth nearly 17 billion dollars. And yet the GOP continues to give Bezos and other folks at the top of the food chain tax cuts while voting to be "responsible" and "conservative" when it comes to giving the rest of Americans, especially the middle class, the shaft over and over again.

As for more specific reasoning, I was listening to a podcast where they said the GOP came to the decision to target these stimulus checks due to a study that found that families that made more than $67k were more likely to put some of the money into savings (you know, being responsible is a bad thing, apparently) and those that made less than $67k spent the entire check right away to help with immediate needs. Forget the fact that this stimulus money comes from taxes we've all been paying for years. How dare we get a slice of that back during these times. I know that personally, we put away a chunk of the stimulus check in our emergency savings while using some of it to help with some needed home repairs. There is value in building up your emergency funds and saving money, especially as a single income family with a mortgage, truck payment, etc. etc. and a newborn child that has to budget fairly aggressively. You never know when an emergency will come about or you're looking for a new job.
Idk if those are bunk reasons, but I don't agree with the decision. Good news though, it didn't matter as it passed the Senate and is only waiting on the House now, right? For some reason, I didn't get the last stimulus check, even though I was eligible for it and should be for this next one too. I guess I'll get it after I file my taxes.