Biden Administration misc. activities

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Biden Administration misc. activities

Post by Indy »

There isn't a single "ultimate clean" form of power. But I would start with one that isn't in limited supply and doesn't ruin the planet.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Doesn't that apply to all of them, including electric cars? Have you seen how the minerals of the batteries are mined and how it ruins the land?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

yep, and same for the minerals in billions (trillions?) of chips in existence. Or the iron we use. Or the copper, or lead. I am not sure what your point is here. That we shouldn't fix one thing until we fix everything?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You want to fix one, while using an arguably worse alternative to your end goal. Obviously, there needs to be a better and cleaner alternative found, hopefully sooner than later.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

yeah burning all the fossil fuels is better than making wind turbines and solar cells. Got it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You don't think solar panels or wind turbines use fossil fuels? Interesting

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like the Biden admin is delaying or shuttering their proposed disinformation bureau after the strong negative reaction:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Do you disagree with pausing it or canceling it?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:59 am
I don't think they should have tried to create this bureau. And even if it could have had some benefit, they announced it in a really clunky and stupid way. I think it's fine to shut it down. Any agency like this is too easy to twist or misuse to cause harm.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden wanted to do something about disinformation. Nothing you can do aside from making free speech illegal like Putin or NK has. This is America and we have free speech guaranteed. That gives us the right to make up anything we want and present it as fact. It’s our jobs as citizens to decipher what is truth.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:17 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:59 am
I don't think they should have tried to create this bureau. And even if it could have had some benefit, they announced it in a really clunky and stupid way. I think it's fine to shut it down. Any agency like this is too easy to twist or misuse to cause harm.
I agree with this. I'm a little worried that instead of outright cancelling it, as a very bad idea, they just "paused" it. It makes it sound like as soon as it becomes viable for them to institute it again, they will.

Indy

Post by Indy »

We do not have free speech guaranteed. The First Amendment only prevents the *government* from limiting (most) speech.

We do not have protection from making up anything we want and presenting it as fact. We literally have laws against this (slander and libel laws).

This is a great account to follow on Twitter. https://twitter.com/USConst_Amend_I?s=2 ... xUFRODUWIA

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I agree with everything you said. Thanks for the tip on the Twitter follow.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:46 pm
Mark this date down in the history books.
:D

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The one I find interesting is the "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theater" quote. That example is often used as an example of a limit on free speech, of something you are not allowed to say. But that is wrong. You *are* allowed to shout "fire!" in a crowded theater. 1st Amendment experts on twitter groan every time this mistaken quote is misused again as an example of limits on free speech.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:23 am
In2ition wrote:
Lol, I've agreed with lots of posts of people here. Have you not seen any of my likes to your posts over time? I don't always say it, but sometimes I do. You should see them in your Notifications, and I'm sure that nearly everyone or everyone in the Politics folder has gotten a notices that I liked their post.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We're all pretty dug in and set into our camps here. But In2 does sometimes acknowledge and react to new information that he hadn't seen before, and he does sometimes agree with comments made that come from the other "team." I appreciate that about him. For a mouth-breathing Republican troglodyte, he's not all bad!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:03 pm
We're all pretty dug in and set into our camps here. But In2 does sometimes acknowledge and react to new information that he hadn't seen before, and he does sometimes agree with comments made that come from the other "team." I appreciate that about him. For a mouth-breathing Republican troglodyte, he's not all bad!
Thanks for the compliment! I've risen above slime and filth. I think I might :cry:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:29 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:23 am
In2ition wrote:
Lol, I've agreed with lots of posts of people here. Have you not seen any of my likes to your posts over time? I don't always say it, but sometimes I do. You should see them in your Notifications, and I'm sure that nearly everyone or everyone in the Politics folder has gotten a notices that I liked their post.
I’ll be honest. I haven’t paid any attention to the like button. I have checked it out a little but ignore it for the most part.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I remember the WH having to walk back multiple comments from Biden when he visited Poland. Apparently, he's at it again and the WH is walking back his remarks again. Is Elon right and whoever is running the teleprompter is actually running the country?