2024 Election

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: 2024 Election

Post by Superbone »

How do we know Trump wasn't the architect behind Covid? Let's not make assumptions here.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 am
This is why IMO Biden is going to win, barring a shocking twist. Simply put, we are much better off in America today than we were 4 years ago. Some of that is owed to Trump's failings and Biden's successes; some of it is random chance or good/bad luck. But it's just a fact. 4 years ago was a horrible time for this country, and right now things are generally much more normal and prosperous.
► Show Spoiler
Fact Sheet: Donald Trump's Utter Botching of the COVID-19 Response

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documen ... 9-response
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:04 pm
I guess the question would be if they are Trump fans because they have to be or because they want to be. Once you take it out of the hands of the people, they could jump behind a more traditional Republican candidate…is there any restriction on who they vote for? Does it have to be someone on the ballot?
Someone on which ballot? The 12th amendment stipulates that they must choose from among the top 3 electoral vote-getters. And the Senate chooses the VP from the top 2 EV-getters.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:53 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:07 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 pm
Which would be in Trump's favor, right?
Idk if that would be in Trump's favor, tbh.
How could it not be? The House has more Reps than Dems, right?
The vote happens by state delegation--each state gets 1 vote and a candidate must receive 26 votes (states). If a state has an equal number of Dems and Reps I have no idea how that state would come to a vote. For example, North Carolina currently has 7 Dems and 7 Reps--who would they vote for?

Also, this is January 6. So it's the new House that gets sworn in on January 3 that votes, not the current House. We don't know if there will be more Dems or Reps.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:18 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:04 pm
I guess the question would be if they are Trump fans because they have to be or because they want to be. Once you take it out of the hands of the people, they could jump behind a more traditional Republican candidate…is there any restriction on who they vote for? Does it have to be someone on the ballot?
Someone on which ballot? The 12th amendment stipulates that they must choose from among the top 3 electoral vote-getters. And the Senate chooses the VP from the top 2 EV-getters.
That answers my question. I didn’t know if they could just pick anyone they want. They’d have to pick between Biden, Trump, and whoever won the electoral votes to keep someone from the needed total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:21 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:53 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:07 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 pm
Which would be in Trump's favor, right?
Idk if that would be in Trump's favor, tbh.
How could it not be? The House has more Reps than Dems, right?
The vote happens by state delegation--each state gets 1 vote and a candidate must receive 26 votes (states). If a state has an equal number of Dems and Reps I have no idea how that state would come to a vote. For example, North Carolina currently has 7 Dems and 7 Reps--who would they vote for?

Also, this is January 6. So it's the new House that gets sworn in on January 3 that votes, not the current House. We don't know if there will be more Dems or Reps.
Thanks for the explanation!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Look how far off these polls are from each other. I feel like we don't have a good sense of who's ahead right now.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, interesting. Nebraska considering dropping its split electoral college vote system. This could hurt Biden who usually gets 1 of their EVs from Omaha district.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like the No Labels group has decided not to put forward a 2024 Presidential candidate after all. IMO this is a good thing.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/no-labels-fin ... 02338.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another MU Law poll. Slight rise for Biden, though it's tied when you put in all the other possible candidates who might be on the ballot in some states. And, usual disclaimer, these polls this far away from the election are not worth too much.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:47 pm
It looks like the No Labels group has decided not to put forward a 2024 Presidential candidate after all. IMO this is a good thing.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/no-labels-fin ... 02338.html
Doesn’t matter. RFK will do the job. Split the anti-Trump vote and Trump wins. All there is to it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Everything is fair game, right?

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Anyone who believes campaign promises needs their head checked…. I drive by the wasted border wall just sitting at Stinger in Coolidge all the time. If you’re gonna call out this stuff at least try to be halfway unbiased.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:52 am
Anyone who believes campaign promises needs their head checked…. I drive by the wasted border wall just sitting at Stinger in Coolidge all the time. If you’re gonna call out this stuff at least try to be halfway unbiased.
You think that the border wall is a campaign promise to buy voters? You think that the GOP is paying influencers to talk positively about Trump? If you know this is happening, please post it here. At least the wall started to be built and got funding legally. How many times has Biden been told what he's doing as far as Student Loans is unconstitutional? 3 or 4 times already? He's persistent at trying to pass the debt on to you and me though.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would much rather have my money go towards paying off student loans than go to building a wall

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's not even remotely close to the same amount of money.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:09 am
Did you go to college?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:57 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:52 am
You think that the border wall is a campaign promise to buy voters? You think that the GOP is paying influencers to talk positively about Trump? If you know this is happening, please post it here. At least the wall started to be built and got funding legally. How many times has Biden been told what he's doing as far as Student Loans is unconstitutional? 3 or 4 times already? He's persistent at trying to pass the debt on to you and me though.
He not only promised it, he promised Mexico would pay for it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:09 am
Well student loan relief helps a lot more people…I’m not sure a wall helps anyone