NY Gov. Cuomo scandal

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShadowHawke

Re: NY Gov. Cuomo scandal

Post by ShadowHawke »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:18 pm
Yes but if you’re conscious of groupthink then one should be inclined to mitigate its impact … which some of us definitely do.
I believe the supposition of the author found the opposite to be the case.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Fair enough … but it does assume there is only a single group one is a part of, which isn’t the case, at least for me.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:22 pm
I’d say anyone standing up for In2 needs to check themselves - ‘the sole conservative voice’ doesn’t carry any weight on its own when his information and evidence comes predominantly from quack sources.

By default, In2 is a quack.
Who gets to be the arbiter of the sources? Popular vote? Least number of retractions? Most intelligent person in the conversation? Person with the most common sense? Person who pays the most taxes? Person least likely to use pejoratives in a debate?

3rdside

NY Gov. Cuomo scandal

Post by 3rdside »

As a start, a general guide would be established sources - those that could be cited in a research document - or news sites that have established a level of credibility over time.

Sure news sites aren’t perfect, but there are clearly more trustworthy ones than others … a quick google search is usually enough to work out to what degree a site can be trusted.

Also individuals who’ve established a level of trust e.g. their position / role in society, usually backed up by years of research, training and / or experience.

None of the above are faultless of course but it’s safe to say Epoch Times, Carl and Leo from YouTube etc are not usually acceptable sources.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Because Google doesn't have an "agenda"?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

When 90+% of the mainstream media report the same thing, I give more weight to that than the less than 10% who report the opposite. The less than 10% want me to believe the 90+% were all in a grand conspiracy together. That makes trust the less than 10% even less. And when the less than 10% consistently post bs conspiracy theories that are consistently debunked, it makes me not trust them at all.

For instance, FOX News hosts calling Trump on Jan 6 trying to get him to call off his mob because it was a bad look and then later that night going on air and blaming Antifa and BLM knowing full well who it was. That was pure evil.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

ShadowHawke wrote:Because Google doesn't have an "agenda"?
I agree there is some level of bias inherent in a search engine but the quality of a site can pretty easily be assessed regardless of which search engine was used to retrieve it.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Because Bari Weiss resigned from the Times because she is a secret conservative conspiracy theorist? Ditto for Glenn Greenwald from the Intercept.

Is Susan Rice any less or more evil for claiming the Benghazi attack was a spontaneous response to a video when it was known not to be true or do you only suffer from selective outrage?

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:20 pm
ShadowHawke wrote:Because Google doesn't have an "agenda"?
I agree there is some level of bias inherent in a search engine but the quality of a site can pretty easily be assessed regardless of which search engine was used to retrieve it.
My sister shells out 6k a month to Google to make sure her small business appears at the top of any search that would involve it.

3rdside

NY Gov. Cuomo scandal

Post by 3rdside »

No one’s perfect, *but on the balance of probabilities* …

This might help:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25158659/

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

I'm used to dealing with quantitative measurement of probabilities. Stochastic Processes, BER curves down to 10^-8 that sort of thing.

Is your moral imperative stronger than your personal bias? Are you willing to enforce the rules evenly for both sides and avoid being a hypocrite?

I knew a young Republican assistant City prosecutor in Phoenix who resigned his job and was ostracized from the local Republican party because he wouldn't let a DUI charge against a sitting Republican US Senator get swept under the rug.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I insist on enforcing the rules evenly - favouritism is not too far removed from corruption, the scourge of an enlightened country, even though it will and (probably) should exist to some extent.

Could I do what your friend did?

I’d say so, although I work in banks where immoral things happen over and over again, but I’ve never encountered any bad behaviour myself, so don’t think you can say I’ve overlooked or condoned any of it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:36 pm
My sister shells out 6k a month to Google to make sure her small business appears at the top of any search that would involve it.
I don't know your sister, but this is not true. Google does not allow for paid placement or payment to move up in the search results. You can, though, pay for ads that will appear when people search for various words on Google ("AdWords"). Maybe your sister pays for an ad. That is not the same thing. The ad does appear on the page, near the top, but it is separate and is not part of the search results.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Correct Mori. She is paying for an Ad.

Are you saying that Google does not exert control or influence over its search results?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Google is a business. Every time I search for something the first several hits say AD next to them telling me that they are selling something related to the search. I have gotten used to skipping over them. When I see AD I know they paid to get their AD there at the top. I don’t think it’s evil. I just think it’s business. Skipping over them is easy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm just guessing, but if she didn't pay the AD rates, her small business could be on the 5 page or farther without amazing SEO set up on her website. How many people go to the 5th page of a search? It's probably worth it for her.

I also tend to skip the ADs, but not all the time, since it seems the large companies that usually pay for them are usually the #1 spot on the search without them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Let's be reasonable, folks. Just some examples of cognitive biases:

- Cherry picking examples that are not representative of the truth
- Misrepresenting facts with misleading interpretations
- Groupthink

It's clear that the MSM isn't perfect -- but hey, they at least pay lip service to journalistic standards unlike the likes of OANN. And Fox News purged its own news desk because they weren't afraid to tell the truth.

But let's also be clear that the elite is rotting from the inside out. You can argue that the Dems have their own sexual predators like Cuomo -- and you can also argue that at least the Dems held him accountable. But what about Bill Clinton, who was associated with Epstein? And then you have to ask who else was there, including Trump. But Mr. "Grab them by the pussy" Trump isn't ever going to be held accountable, is he? There's something terribly broken all around and I'm convinced that the roots of the decay go back at least to the 1990s, when you had the likes of Clinton -- but also the string of conservative congressmen who were molesting Congressional pages and having unprotected gay sex in airport bathrooms while castigating liberals for violating family values in the Rotunda.

I think we're so used to the Republicans being so rotten that they get a free pass for really nasty shit -- kind of the way that North Korea gets a free pass for another missile launch or another nuclear test. And then we pile on the Democrats for relatively lesser misdeeds. But does that mean that these lesser misdeeds are anything less than serious?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

CNN President Jeff Zucker Resigns, Citing Relationship With Colleague
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cnn-presid ... 1643818528
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like the woman he had the affair with was also a legal advisor for Gov. Andrew Cuomo, so the affair presented a conflict of interest related to Chris Cuomo's (and the overall network's) coverage of Gov. Cuomo's recent scandals.

Good riddance, if you ask me. Zucker was a big part of the downturn in quality of CNN and related networks over the past decade. He saw politics as sports and pushed them hard into the "lots of talking heads shouting at each other" style of news. He's brought great harm on the once-respected news network. Now CNN is mostly awful and I would never watch it. Is it possible that with him out, they could start to revert to better days? Or are they too far gone?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk the answer to these questions. This may not be the end of things at CNN, and just another domino. Sounds like Chris Cuomo is pissed and trying to burn the whole thing down. Hopefully, this is the end of it and they turn things around and become trusted once again.