Immigration

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
TOO

Re: Immigration

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:41 pm
Which makes it all about them rather than the American people.
Politicians in a nutshell.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really liked this article about immigration by Matt Yglesias. He's a liberal, but he credits several things Trump did on immigration and sends to offer a balanced take imo.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:04 am

It seems to me that blowing up the immigration deal just to say on the campaign trail that Biden didn’t do anything is easily countered with “We tried to do something but Trump and the GOP killed the deal just to make Biden look bad and obviously aren’t serious about fixing the border.”
That may be an easy counter, but I’m not convinced it’s an effective counter. They can just admit it. “You’re damn right we killed the deal, and we’ll kill it again if Biden is re-elected. The only way to secure the border is to elect Trump.”
Reminds me of when Nixon killed the Vietnam peace talks to help his chances of being elected. US soldiers paid the price.
And Nixon never did pay the price. And Trump probably won’t either.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I once heard a rule of thumb in politics: "If you're explaining, you're losing." It's an oversimplification, but I think it often helps me understand situations like these. Yes, the Dems have a pretty good explanation here: "We want to improve things with immigration / the border, but the bipartisan deal we've created is being blocked, etc." But a lot of voters won't buy it, or will see it as just some excuse for failure. The way a lot of people will think of it is, Biden's the President and immigration is messed up. Therefore, Biden isn't doing enough to fix immigration. Simple as that.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:25 pm
I once heard a rule of thumb in politics: "If you're explaining, you're losing." It's an oversimplification, but I think it often helps me understand situations like these. Yes, the Dems have a pretty good explanation here: "We want to improve things with immigration / the border, but the bipartisan deal we've created is being blocked, etc." But a lot of voters won't buy it, or will see it as just some excuse for failure. The way a lot of people will think of it is, Biden's the President and immigration is messed up. Therefore, Biden isn't doing enough to fix immigration. Simple as that.

Yup everything is your fault if your the president at the time..

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The central argument being made here by Abbott and the GOP governors is that the DHS and their Secretary Mayorkas are refusing to do their duty by apprehending and detaining migrants seeking asylum. But Trump and his DHS didn't do that, and it is completely cost-prohibitive to do that. They're asking for something completely infeasible that they don't expect even from their own party.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

More political theatre for the cult.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Instead of obeying the courts, Greg Abbott declared an “invasion” at the southern border, asserting Texas has a constitutional authority to protect itself. He invoked Article 4, Section 4 of the Constitution, which requires the United States to “protect [the states] against invasion.” Since Texas is being invaded and the administration won’t stop it, Abbott argued that Article 1, Section 10 of the Constitution “reserves to this State the right of self-defense.”

Except that’s not what the Constitution says. Article 1, Section 10 doesn’t mention “self-defense” at all. Instead, it says that no state shall, without the consent of Congress, engage in war “unless actually invaded.”

Additionally, as Mark Joseph Stern pointed out over at Slate, language Abbott used in his statement — that the federal government had “broken the compact” between the United States and Texas — is very similar to the language used by Southern states in their declarations of secession in 1860 and 1861.

Make no mistake, this is a genuine constitutional crisis on two fronts. Abbott is refusing to acknowledge the Supreme Court’s ruling, thereby undermining the judicial branch. He’s also refusing to recognize the executive branch's authority by saying that Texas, not the federal government, controls a federal border.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

MAGA again….

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I acknowledge that this is just a tweet from some guy. I have seen several people sharing the image. It looks like there's a small group of cars driving to the border to help TX enforce their border wires and policies.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cute

TOO

Post by TOO »

True patriots.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Smh, this is not it. Do not go to the border in some idiotic manner.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

While the Earth warms up and makes entire regions of the world uninhabitable, the developed nations of the world will use their military might to keep the brown people out by whatever means necessary. Who cares if they starve or are consumed by social unrest as long as they themselves are comfortable. White, Christian folks are welcome.

Developed Asia, with its need to repopulate, may be an exception. But these nations, too, will prefer folks that look more like them.

I know that there are relatively few resources available. But what a sorry bunch of apes we are.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

People like hanging with their own tribe and everyone else is bad.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Paranoia will destroya. The Gods Army was supposed to be 700,000 people strong and it turned into a small little caravan apparently because MAGA was so paranoid about it being a trap by the FBI that they all stayed home.

'God's Army' border truck convoy falls flat amid right-wing 'honeypot' paranoia: report
https://www.rawstory.com/gods-army-border/
The “God's Army” trucker convoy that's headed to the southern border in a "Take Our Border Back" campaign has been decimated by conspiracy theories that it's an FBI front, Vice News reported Monday.

The line of trucks that departed Virginia Beach Monday had just a few dozen participants — much less than the 700,000 organizers had promised. According to Vice's report, the less-than-stellar turnout was likely due to theories circulating in right-wing circles that the convoy could be a “psyop” or “honeypot" trap laid by the federal government to coax people into committing violence.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hear the whole border thing is a conspiracy cooked up by the FBI and Taylor Swift.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have been watching all the reports of newspapers, etc. going under left and right. People are getting their news from random people posting on Twitter nowadays. Probably a big reason we have be inundated with so many conspiracy theories. There must be a MAGA app that spits out conspiracy theories.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

My favorite is still how they’d call everyone “sheep” or say that everyone got “blue pilled” yet hang on the every whim of thr great orange dope.