Immigration

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Immigration

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:54 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 pm
Undocumented Immigrants Have Right to Own Guns, Judge Rules
Published Mar 19, 2024 at 10:33 AM EDT
Updated Mar 19, 2024 at 3:35 PM EDT
By Nick Mordowanec
Staff Writer
https://www.newsweek.com/undocumented-i ... es-1880806

How does this make any sense? Seems insane to me. It's not just undocumented, it's illegal immigrants, who broke the law coming here, along with a criminal record.
It does not make sense as most of the current gun laws don't.
Obama appointed judge. Probably against guns in general, but then rules this way makes zero sense to me, and probably most people, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
By Nick Mordowanec
Staff Writer

How does this make any sense? Seems insane to me. It's not just undocumented, it's illegal immigrants, who broke the law coming here, along with a criminal record.
Obama appointed judge. Probably against guns in general, but then rules this way makes zero sense to me, and probably most people, imo.
From a distance, I'd guess the NRA is involved. They want EVERYBODY to buy guns.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 pm
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
By Nick Mordowanec
Staff Writer

From a distance, I'd guess the NRA is involved. They want EVERYBODY to buy guns.
You think the NRA is on bed with this Obama judge? That's hilarious 😂
They don't advocate for felons or children to buy guns, so it's silly to think that.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 pm
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
By Nick Mordowanec
Staff Writer

You think the NRA is on bed with this Obama judge? That's hilarious 😂
They don't advocate for felons or children to buy guns, so it's silly to think that.
I’d be surprised if they don’t. No gun sale is a bad sale if you’re the NRA. They’re pretty much without scruples.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

2nd Amendment uber alles.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:21 am
2nd Amendment uber alles.
So you agree with the ruling by this judge?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This needs context.

Here is the context that came out yesterday.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve seen a few of these squatters rights laws and I’d love to hear the rationale behind them…I can’t say I’m fully informed but on the surface they seem ridiculous.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:31 pm
I’ve seen a few of these squatters rights laws and I’d love to hear the rationale behind them…I can’t say I’m fully informed but on the surface they seem ridiculous.
I think in some cases they are humane. If a home is not lived in, it can easily deteriorate. If a squatter happens to find the home unoccupied and makes improvements and fixes, it can be argued that they are helping and not hurting. Then you can't just throw them out and change the locks so that they are homeless. In this woman's case, she is trying to sell the home, and isn't relying on the house for herself. If she's let it stand empty, then she's just going to have to wait as it goes through the courts. If she had just received the house, and hasn't let it sit, then the squatters would have to move on and move out. It looked like one of the squatters claimed to have done work to the home, by order of the homeowner and wasn't paid. I'm not sure that he was all that reliable though.

In the case of the immigrants, this would be helpful and probably encouraged by the government if the immigrants knew these laws and immediately occupied the homes. It seems like the homeowners would need to stay involved in these empty homes and/or give them up quickly. They shouldn't just sit on them, while they progressively get worse.

I don't know all the laws involved though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wouldn't it make it tougher to sell your house if when showing it, if squatters lived there? Or, is there some gray area if they haven't started showing it yet?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You would think.

I think they would have to clear them out first. I mean, how accommadating would a squatter be to people coming to see the house as a potential buyer?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Had multiple incidents with people trying to squat in sold houses when we finished building them but before handing the keys over. They don't put up much resistance when 20 people show up to "help" you get the fuck out.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

My boss lives in SC, and she has an open house right across the street, that's a mansion as the owner was taken to an old folks home. No heirs, from my understanding. Prime squatter situation.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Weird.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I doubt this is common.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:42 pm
I doubt this is common.
I don't think it's common either. I wonder if it would have been better to have squatters take over the homes in Detroit, instead of letting them essentially fall down?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I would be pissed if someone tried that. I would be like, This is my house and they say you can stay on as a tenant even though there is no contract signed and you pay nothing? Well I live her too an I really like death metal at high volumes so, I am going to play death metal at excruciating volumes 24/7. I hope you don’t mind…
Last edited by Nodack on Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If you actually lived there, they wouldn't be squatters and have squatter's rights. Feels like playing death metal at excruciating volumes 24/7 hurts you as much as them, unless you are deaf.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I would move in. My house. I’m half deaf already and own a really nice pair of sound blocking headphones. I would probably get arrested for breaking and entering.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Probably not arrested for breaking and entering, since you own it. I think the rule is that you would get arrested if you changed the locks and locked the squatters out. If anyone knows all the laws regarding squatters, please interject.