Cancel Culture

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:01 pm
You don't get it. I am not questioning the validity of the news reported in the tweet, and who the tweet came from made no difference to me. It could have came from your dog, and I can see clearly that he's burning books. I just pointed out how silly it is for you to do that, while attempting to discredit @disclosetv. It's exactly as I said, if the news aligns with your world view, it wouldn't make a difference where the news came from. That's just facts, and you confirmed it so quickly. 3rdside got his answer, even though he was trying to stick up for you.
It's about defaults. If a news site is generally trying to post credible information, one would perhaps treat their next article or headline with some seriousness. As in, that is likely to be true since they wrote an article about it; maybe I'll read further and try to get other sources on this topic. But if a news site is clearly garbage and has a history of posting fake crud and conspiracy theories and is making no attempt to present factual news, my default read on anything they post is going to be, "I don't trust this source; I am not going to believe or even investigate this story unless a better source corroborates it first."

That's how I feel about your crap sources like Breaking911 and DiscloseTV. I never click the links and consider all of it to be suspect. Sure, maybe some of the things they say turn out to be true. But I won't give them the benefit of the doubt on this and assume that every article they tweet out is true until debunked. They are bunk by default. I could choose to listen to the hobo on the street who claims he can predict the weather. He's even likely to be right a decent fraction of the time by dumb luck. But that doesn't mean that he's a reliable or reputable or informed news source.

Sure, you may think that CNN or BBC or NPR or whatever other media site is just as bad or worse. But this is simply factually incorrect. While those sites sometimes show bias and sometimes get things wrong, any sort of quantitative analysis of what fraction of their stories are generally "true" and "factual" compared to some crud like DiscloseTV is no contest. And BBC News / NPR / etc. were not explicitly started as conspiracy theory or UFO rumor web sites, which counts for something in my book.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Twitter suspends US Senate candidate for hateful conduct
https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm ... 2fa102b6a7
Twitter suspended Vicky Hartzler ’s personal account on Monday.

Hartzler’s tweet, posted in mid-February, said: “Women’s sports are for women, not men pretending to be women,” and included her TV ad targeting transgender people in sports and particularly University of Pennsylvania swimmer Lia Thomas.

I am totally fine with LGBT and transgender people. They should have all the rights everyone else does. I happen to agree that woman’s sports are for women and not men who feel like they are women trapped in a mans body. I think it is very unfair to women. They should either compete as men or compete as transgender but, not as women. The swimmer is breaking all kinds of records and dominating women. Not cool.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:55 pm
Twitter suspends US Senate candidate for hateful conduct
https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm ... 2fa102b6a7
Twitter suspended Vicky Hartzler ’s personal account on Monday.

Hartzler’s tweet, posted in mid-February, said: “Women’s sports are for women, not men pretending to be women,” and included her TV ad targeting transgender people in sports and particularly University of Pennsylvania swimmer Lia Thomas.

I am totally fine with LGBT and transgender people. They should have all the rights everyone else does. I happen to agree that woman’s sports are for women and not men who feel like they are women trapped in a mans body. I think it is very unfair to women. They should either compete as men or compete as transgender but, not as women. The swimmer is breaking all kinds of records and dominating women. Not cool.
Idk, you could be suspended for hate speech with this kind of view.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I could.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is a game. I don't get the outrage.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You're right, it's just a game or competition. It's literally why we have a separation of men's and women's sports, but you've got a point that games and competitions mean nothing here on a Phoenix Suns board.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

People take sports seriously and none more than the athletes themselves. They spend a lot of time training. I was in track in JH and HS and it was a lot of work. We spend hours a day just talking about athletes. I see the outrage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender
Transgender people have a gender identity or gender expression that differs from the sex that they were assigned at birth.[1][2][3] Some transgender people who desire medical assistance to transition from one sex to another identify as trans

These are women trapped in a mans body competing against women who are trapped in a woman’s body. It’s not fair to women. It’s cheating. It’s worse than steroids to me. Compete as men or compete against other transgender.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The sports/trans issue is a tough one. I support LGBT rights and think trans people should not face discrimination. But I don't know what is fair to do with them in terms of sports. If they have recently transitioned, they may have a huge advantage over other athletes of their new gender. You could base it on hormone levels (testosterone < X% competes with women, etc.) but now you're asking a bunch of K-12 schools to test such things? Doubtful. I'm not sure that there is a solution that's fair for everyone.

I don't think my view on this is the most PC/lib, but in general I would say that I care more about preserving the integrity of women's sports than ensuring that every trans female can compete in women's sports. I would tend to lean towards asking people to compete in men's sports unless they are cis female. That goes against the "trans women are women" mantra that many folks say, I know, but I don't want the majority of cis women to lose the space they have to compete in sports on a level playing field.

I know that isn't a great solution, and I'd be happy to hear about better ideas. I don't want to discriminate or treat anyone differently, but you sort of have to choose somebody to not quite get what they want in this situation.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Women have been screwed over enough already by men in our civilization. To allow men basically to compete as women is totally unfair to women. My wife competed and teaches sports and she totally agrees with me. What women wants to compete against a man? Mentally they might be women but, physically they are men. Just suppose Lebron James decided he was trans and switched to the wnba?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Lol. I was laughing so hard thinking about trans Lebron dominating the WNBA. Multiple 100 point games.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:30 pm
Lol. I was laughing so hard thinking about trans Lebron dominating the WNBA. Multiple 100 point games.
I’m surprised he went with the long red hair wig.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

you don't just decide you are trans, just like you don't just decide you are straight or gay.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

True. Still not fair to women.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:28 pm
you don't just decide you are trans, just like you don't just decide you are straight or gay.
How does this work exactly? I'm curious how true this is for all trans.

I have a friend that I've known since my oldest was very young. So about 20 yrs. My wife's bff's husband, had a very active libido according to her. To her it may have been a bit too much. Grew up a guys guy, played football, was the same all the way through his life. They moved to Oregon. He went to the doctor there to get some help on possibly cutting down his libido a little bit. The Dr. prescribed him estrogen. It worked very well in that sense. He was much more sensitive and attentive to her, and it curbed his libido quite a bit. It might have worked too well, as he didn't want to have sex with her any more, and she caught him dressing up in her clothing. When she suggested that he possibly stop taking them or limit his dosage, he didn't want to as he liked how it made him feel. Eventually, he started dressing up and wearing make up and going out to bars with his/her new identity and name. Later, sadly she couldn't handle it any longer and they got a divorce after being married over 25 yrs and being HS sweethearts. He continues to live as a trans.

I'm sure this is a one off, and absolutely isn't the story for everyone or even most trans. Everyone's story is their own.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My nephew is gay. My wife told me he was going to be gay when he was five years old.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I don't think there's only one way to be gay (I wouldn't say). You hear stories of people being molested when they were young possibly as the reason that they like the same sex. I also have been told that everybody is in a range of sexuality. Some are more one way than the other. So I don't know. I've always been 100% heterosexual and I'm only saying that as I don't know about this range of sexuality in humans but that's what I've been told. And there are people that are bi so maybe that helps explains that.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am no doctor or expert but I have my own opinion. Plenty of doctors have opinions too and they vary greatly. There have been gay people as long as there have been people. Why are we even attracted to other people sexually? Why are any animals attracted to their mates? It’s built into us. We really don’t know why, it just is. As a result of mating an animal is born. Men and women are real close to being the same. Sometime after the sperm meets the egg it get’s decided on it’s sex. Sometimes things go wrong and people can be born with all kinds of birth defects. They are tall or short or smart or not so smart. Some are born male and are attracted to males. Some are born female and are attracted to females. Some are born and are attracted to people of either sex. Most are born and are straight.

I don’t worry about trying to figure it out. People love who they love and it’s none of my business who they love. Writing laws trying to prevent people from becoming gay is silly. I do think teaching about sex in kindergarten is a little early. I remember sex education in high school. I do think children should be taught sex ed right around puberty before they have a chance to get into trouble. I don’t care about teaching them about gay or straight but, they should be taught that having sex unprotected is a good way to ruin your life. They should know that that leads to unwanted pregnancies or diseases. Let them decide who they like on their own.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:55 am
I am no doctor or expert but I have my own opinion. Plenty of doctors have opinions too and they vary greatly. There have been gay people as long as there have been people. Why are we even attracted to other people sexually? Why are any animals attracted to their mates? It’s built into us. We really don’t know why, it just is. As a result of mating an animal is born. Men and women are real close to being the same. Sometime after the sperm meets the egg it get’s decided on it’s sex. Sometimes things go wrong and people can be born with all kinds of birth defects. They are tall or short or smart or not so smart. Some are born male and are attracted to males. Some are born female and are attracted to females. Some are born and are attracted to people of either sex. Most are born and are straight.
You don't think experiences can change a person's sexuality? You think it's all decided by birth? It doesn't seem like a coincidence that many gay people have been molested as a child.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would imagine it’s a mix of genetics and environment like most things are

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:00 pm
Nodack wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:55 am
You don't think experiences can change a person's sexuality? You think it's all decided by birth? It doesn't seem like a coincidence that many gay people have been molested as a child.
I do think experiences can change a person’s sexuality. Being molested as a child is a horrible thing and can mess up a person the rest of their lives. I think some people were gay or bisexual the whole time and repressed it for a long time until one day they decided to not care what other people thought or one day they met someone of the same sex that they were attracted to and had no control over their feelings. Testosterone levels and estrogen can have a great effect on sexuality. Some say we are all born a little bisexual. All I know is that if I see a naked man and a women my eye will go right to the woman. The thought of kissing another man grosses me out. I get a little freaked out when I see these photoshop makeovers of guys and girls changed into the opposite sex. Some of these men made up as women are actually attractive and that scares me. It makes me see how little difference there is between a man and a woman.

Tom Brady