Cancel Culture

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 15642
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Cancel Culture

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought it might be good to have a thread to discuss the various miscellaneous instances of what some folks call "cancel culture." So, for example, people getting in trouble for things they say, for old tweets, and so on. Are the actions upsetting? Should the person be fired / cancelled? What do we think about the broader trend going on here?

Let's discuss.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 15642
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's a recent cancel-culture-ish story. Newly hired Teen Vogue editor-in-chief Alexi McCammond resigned from her new position there because old tweets and social media messages surfaced where she made light of Asians. Some folks said the firing was excessive because the tweets were made 10 years ago when she was 16.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/03/teen-vo ... weets.html
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/a ... illiberal/

One thing I hadn't seen included in some of the stories / discussions about McCammond is that she previously was a reporter covering the White House and got into a romantic relationship with a WH Deputy Press Secretary, which is a compromise of her journalistic ethics. This came out about a month before her Teen Vogue EIC hiring.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/controver ... teen-vogue

Was Alexi's removal as EIC reasonable or an example of cancel culture run amok?

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 9407
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by In2ition »

I think the Cancel Culture and censorship is the new norm. I've heard it described as paying the cannibals to eat you last. I give you credit Marty, this isn't a subject and idea that would get you further in life. Canceling someone for something they did when they were 16 is a bad precedent. Holding them to only being pure and without sin as a teenager seems weird to me, as I know I've probably done stupid stuff at that age and I imagine everyone has. I think 3rdside talked about this a little while back.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 9407
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by In2ition »

Does this qualify as Cancel Culture-ish? Seems silly/hypocritical to fire these people when the VP admitted to it herself.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 15642
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Mori Chu »

Firing people over marijuana use is dumb. They should just legalize it already, nation-wide. I got the sense that they felt they had to fire them because it was against the federal governmental policies, but still, bleh, it's dumb.

User avatar
BAMF
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by BAMF »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 am
I think the Cancel Culture and censorship is the new norm. I've heard it described as paying the cannibals to eat you last. I give you credit Marty, this isn't a subject and idea that would get you further in life. Canceling someone for something they did when they were 16 is a bad precedent. Holding them to only being pure and without sin as a teenager seems weird to me, as I know I've probably done stupid stuff at that age and I imagine everyone has. I think 3rdside talked about this a little while back.
Its always been the norm whether it is the canceling of D&D, Proctor&Gamble (satanic logo scare) and Heavymetal from back in my day or today's Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Suess Btw the Right also tried to Boycott Dr. Suess in the past as well for the Lorax and its Environmental message. I think taking one side or another on this issue just shows ones susceptibility to conforming to narratives, manipulation and subjective validation to that narrative.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 9407
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by In2ition »

BAMF wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 am
I think the Cancel Culture and censorship is the new norm. I've heard it described as paying the cannibals to eat you last. I give you credit Marty, this isn't a subject and idea that would get you further in life. Canceling someone for something they did when they were 16 is a bad precedent. Holding them to only being pure and without sin as a teenager seems weird to me, as I know I've probably done stupid stuff at that age and I imagine everyone has. I think 3rdside talked about this a little while back.
Its always been the norm whether it is the canceling of D&D, Proctor&Gamble (satanic logo scare) and Heavymetal from back in my day or today's Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Suess Btw the Right also tried to Boycott Dr. Suess in the past as well for the Lorax and its Environmental message. I think taking one side or another on this issue just shows ones susceptibility to conforming to narratives, manipulation and subjective validation to that narrative.
I remember that P&C scare when I was a kid, haha. Damn, that was quite awhile ago. I am not for canceling one side or the other. Both, I think are weak.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
BAMF
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by BAMF »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 am
BAMF wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 am
I think the Cancel Culture and censorship is the new norm. I've heard it described as paying the cannibals to eat you last. I give you credit Marty, this isn't a subject and idea that would get you further in life. Canceling someone for something they did when they were 16 is a bad precedent. Holding them to only being pure and without sin as a teenager seems weird to me, as I know I've probably done stupid stuff at that age and I imagine everyone has. I think 3rdside talked about this a little while back.
Its always been the norm whether it is the canceling of D&D, Proctor&Gamble (satanic logo scare) and Heavymetal from back in my day or today's Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Suess Btw the Right also tried to Boycott Dr. Suess in the past as well for the Lorax and its Environmental message. I think taking one side or another on this issue just shows ones susceptibility to conforming to narratives, manipulation and subjective validation to that narrative.
I remember that P&C scare when I was a kid, haha. Damn, that was quite awhile ago. I am not for canceling one side or the other. Both, I think are weak.
Agreed again. I think a moral majority should never put their thumb on a society as it tends to lead to things like abolition and the Salem witch hunt. But who am I just some guy on a keyboard not in any position of power what so ever.

User avatar
BAMF
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by BAMF »

BAMF wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:31 am
In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 am
BAMF wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 am
I think the Cancel Culture and censorship is the new norm. I've heard it described as paying the cannibals to eat you last. I give you credit Marty, this isn't a subject and idea that would get you further in life. Canceling someone for something they did when they were 16 is a bad precedent. Holding them to only being pure and without sin as a teenager seems weird to me, as I know I've probably done stupid stuff at that age and I imagine everyone has. I think 3rdside talked about this a little while back.
Its always been the norm whether it is the canceling of D&D, Proctor&Gamble (satanic logo scare) and Heavymetal from back in my day or today's Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Suess Btw the Right also tried to Boycott Dr. Suess in the past as well for the Lorax and its Environmental message. I think taking one side or another on this issue just shows ones susceptibility to conforming to narratives, manipulation and subjective validation to that narrative.
I remember that P&C scare when I was a kid, haha. Damn, that was quite awhile ago. I am not for canceling one side or the other. Both, I think are weak.
Agreed again. I was a kid too. I think a moral majority should never put their thumb on a society as it tends to lead to things like abolition and the Salem witch hunt. But who am I just some guy on a keyboard not in any position of power what so ever.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 15642
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Mori Chu »

Resurrecting this thread. There have been stories lately about books being banned or removed from school curricula. In TN they held a literal book burning where they set ablaze such evil works as Harry Potter and Twilight:


User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 9407
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by In2ition »

If they really want to do it right in today's day and age, they need to get all the online book sellers to delete the books off of their stores. Otherwise, this is just for show for his congregation, and does nothing other than create fodder for those that create tweets calling him names.

I haven't seen the Tennessee Holler being admitted as an approved twitter source, so this is a first. Maybe there is a database on the site that I can reference and an approval process, so as to not be out of favor? Or is this is a good example of a source that gives exactly what you agree with, so no need to disparage the source. There's a word for that somewhere...I can't think of it right now, but maybe someone can jog my memory.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 6363
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Nodack »

I used to live in Mount Juliet Tenn. right outside of Nashville. We moved there partly through my junior year of HS. Charlie Daniels lived close to us. It was very pretty. We had a creek that ran right by our house. So different than Phoenix. Unfortunately we hated the place. Dad hated his job. He was a helicopter mechanic for the Police in Phoenix forever and at his new job doing the same thing on commercial aircraft they made him clean the toilets and he wasn’t having that. I was a little worried. My HS in Phoenix had one black kid and the new HS was over 50% black. As it turned out my only friends were black and they were very cool to the new guy. I was harassed by the white kids and almost got into a few fights. They found out I was from AZ and asked if I rode a horse to school and got our water out of a well. Stereotypes right?

Both sides are into cancel culture and accuse the other of it. I just think it makes people want what you don’t want them to have more. Tell me I can’t read a certain book and I’ll go out of my way to read it. Tell me not to eat at a place that does or doesn’t allow whatever and I might go there just because. I am guilty of cancel culture too. A food chain decides to make a stand against something I am not against and I will probably stop eating there. I guess it’s our way of making a stand against whatever injustices in the world make us angry that we are supposed to be angry at.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 9407
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by In2ition »

It's protesting with your money, which is probably the only type of protest that really makes changes to businesses, tbh.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 15642
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:44 am
If they really want to do it right in today's day and age, they need to get all the online book sellers to delete the books off of their stores. Otherwise, this is just for show for his congregation, and does nothing other than create fodder for those that create tweets calling him names.

I haven't seen the Tennessee Holler being admitted as an approved twitter source, so this is a first. Maybe there is a database on the site that I can reference and an approval process, so as to not be out of favor? Or is this is a good example of a source that gives exactly what you agree with, so no need to disparage the source. There's a word for that somewhere...I can't think of it right now, but maybe someone can jog my memory.
I agree that it's totally fair to question the source on a tweet or story. Here's a second source from the local Fox-17 News:

https://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee- ... cs-twitter

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 9407
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:10 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:44 am
If they really want to do it right in today's day and age, they need to get all the online book sellers to delete the books off of their stores. Otherwise, this is just for show for his congregation, and does nothing other than create fodder for those that create tweets calling him names.

I haven't seen the Tennessee Holler being admitted as an approved twitter source, so this is a first. Maybe there is a database on the site that I can reference and an approval process, so as to not be out of favor? Or is this is a good example of a source that gives exactly what you agree with, so no need to disparage the source. There's a word for that somewhere...I can't think of it right now, but maybe someone can jog my memory.
I agree that it's totally fair to question the source on a tweet or story. Here's a second source from the local Fox-17 News:

https://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee- ... cs-twitter
You don't get it. I am not questioning the validity of the news reported in the tweet, and who the tweet came from made no difference to me. It could have came from your dog, and I can see clearly that he's burning books. I just pointed out how silly it is for you to do that, while attempting to discredit @disclosetv. It's exactly as I said, if the news aligns with your world view, it wouldn't make a difference where the news came from. That's just facts, and you confirmed it so quickly. 3rdside got his answer, even though he was trying to stick up for you.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18190
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Indy »

He wasn't attempting to discredit disclosetv. they have done that themselves, numerous times. Just do a search for "fake news sites" and it continues to pop up. I realize it must be a major news source for you, since you have cited/reposted them over a dozen times, but they are not a news organization. If what you are sharing is accurate, there should be dozens of options to use that aren't muddied by the numerous false things they post.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 9407
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by In2ition »

Was anything I posted by them false? If not, then this is mute to me. If any of it was, then I will gladly delete it from here.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18190
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Indy »

You don't get it. If I posted a clip of Epstein telling you the weather report for yesterday, you wouldn't have any faith in it, regardless of if it were accurate.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 9407
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by In2ition »

I'm having trouble visualizing that scenario, but off the top of my head I think it's a pretty silly equivalence. Please explain your analogy.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18190
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Indy »

the source matters, even if the source is correct *this time*

Post Reply