Israel / Palestine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Split T

Re: Israel / Palestine

Post by Split T »

Horses don’t like ostriches?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not one bit. They are scared shitless of them. We had horse property way back and a couple of Arabians my grandparents owned. They sold the horses and eventually passed away leaving empty horse stalls. An ostrich owner asked if he could use the space for his ostriches and just pay a monthly fee. My parents said yes. I remember a guy on a horse riding up the ally behind us and when the horse saw the ostriches it refused to go any further. The guy was pissed and kept trying to get the horse to go past them and it wouldn’t have it and just refused.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is stupid to me. Congress shouldn't be spending its time passing bills condemning or banning free (if reprehensible) speech. 1st Amendment and all that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The phrase seems to imply that they want to be free. From the river to the sea is the land between Jordan and the sea, which is Gaza and Israel combined. It says to me they won’t consider themselves free until Israel no longer exists. Maybe that’s why they keep saying they want to wipe Israel off the map.

Antisemitic? Can see where some might consider that Antisemitic. A law saying we condemn that phrase? That seems a little silly.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like Biden is saying behind the scenes that he wants a two-state solution but does not want Palestine to immediately become a member of the United Nations. I don't really know all the implications of that, but here we are.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I can understand not wanting to give Hamas a seat. If the people of Palestine ever have a legitimate government, and I hope but don’t expect they will, then they deserve a seat.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

At some point the Palestinians will have to say out loud that they are cool living side by side with Israel instead of vowing to wipe them off the map before they would ever be added to the boys club. Israel could have wiped them off the map many years ago if that was their goal and didn’t. I don’t think even Israel wants a two state solution anymore. They all just hate each other and now after the Hamas attack Israel is pretty much wiping Gaza off the map.

I like that they are at least talking.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Big walkout at Columbia in response to the arrest of pro-Palestinian protestors.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another protest, this one at Cal Poly Humboldt. To be clear, while I vigorously support the right to peaceful protest, I don't support shoving or hitting cops like they're doing in this clip.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I heard Columbia is going to go completely virtual for the rest of the year now. It makes sense that they would.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:51 am
I heard Columbia is going to go completely virtual for the rest of the year now. It makes sense that they would.
I haven't seen that yet. But I am seeing that they have suspended 53 students for the protests:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:44 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:51 am
I haven't seen that yet. But I am seeing that they have suspended 53 students for the protests:

From searching online, it was reported yesterday, but that may have changed a little to hybrid.

Columbia classes go virtual as tensions mount over Israel-Gaza conflict
President of Columbia University said leaders would work together to ‘bring this crisis to a resolution’

Ariana Baio
1 day ago
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 32617.html
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for that info.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hundreds of dead Palestinians dumped into mass graves after Israeli air strikes.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These armed takedowns of student protests are concerning. I hope nobody gets hurt.

Cap

Post by Cap »

What ever happened to the right to peaceful protest?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is the kind of shit they are protesting about.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

USC sending in the armed cops now, too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Have any of these cracked-down-on protests been anything other than peaceful?