Israel / Palestine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Israel / Palestine

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:08 am
Degree from Columbia(or any of the other schools) vs. degree from Iran? Which one is more valuable?
I think you're just trolling, but this is silly. Columbia is still a good school, and their grads will still get good jobs. This isn't a "Bud Light" situation where you and your conservative buddies can boycott something until it's genuflecting and begging for your forgiveness.
I am trolling, but only trolling Iran. Columbia is an Ivy league school and one of the most prestigious schools in the country. If they forfeit their degree from Columbia, I don't think the one from Iran is as good, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Iran is just trolling.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I could see that.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We may have a cease-fire?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like Israel is refusing to accept the cease-fire deal and intends to militarily enter Rafah? Despite a way to end the violence and get all their hostages back?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Israel announced that it plans to begin attacking Rafah today, the last remaining area of Gaza with anybody in it. This is what it looks like there. They're going for a complete wipeout of the Palestinian people.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is bizarre. 12 US Senators, all Republicans, send a vaguely threatening letter telling the ICC not to go after Bibi Netanyahu for Gaza-related alleged crimes. They say, "You have been warned" and they also mention consequences for the ICC director's family in the letter. This seems so wildly inappropriate to me. These Senators don't have any authority to speak for the US on foreign policy issues, and they shouldn't be threatening the ICC or its director.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This whole thing is so F U. I don’t even want to comment on it anymore. I can think of all the things I would do differently and none of that matters. Both sides are going to do whatever they want and couldn’t possibly care any less what we think on phx-suns.net.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. This local news interview with a student from U of Chicago about the campus protests is really striking. He speaks with such clarity about what is going on and why the students are protesting. In 5 minutes he lays it all out so simply and clearly. It's a great interview. Well done, random grad student.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That sounds like a typical police tactic, to do that when they would get the least resistance and when people would be disoriented and woken up in the dead of sleep.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sounds like a better plan than facing them all prepared. I don’t know if sending in the police is the right or wrong move. At this point on this subject, I think it’s just chaos and sad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Biden finally tells Israel there will be consequences if they attack Rafah.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

More blood on Bibi's hands as Rafah invasion begins.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:52 am
Biden finally tells Israel there will be consequences if they attack Rafah.

Some in Israel aren’t happy about that decision.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog- ... _content=3
Likud backbencher Tally Gotliv receives a mention at the US State Department briefing when a reporter asks about incendiary comments she made at the Knesset earlier today.

“The US is threatening not to give us precision missiles. Well, I have news for the US: We have imprecise missiles! So maybe instead of using a precise missile to take out a specific room or a specific building, I’ll use my imprecise missiles to flatten 10 buildings. That’s what I’ll do. If you don’t give me precise missiles, I’ll use imprecise missiles,” the Likud MK declared.

Responding to the comments, State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller calls them “absolutely deplorable,” adding that senior members of the Israeli government should refrain from making them. The freshman lawmaker is only part of the ruling coalition and is not a cabinet minister, nor does she chair any Knesset committees.

Ouch!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Makes it pretty clear why we should be cutting them off, imo. There's an unhealthy bloodlust in those comments you posted.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 11:32 am
Makes it pretty clear why we should be cutting them off, imo. There's an unhealthy bloodlust in those comments you posted.
Wait til you see Hamas’s charter.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
110% this.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:14 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wait til you see Hamas’s charter.
You may be confused. The innocent civilians of Palestine are not Hamas.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Meanwhile ... (wow)

Cap

Post by Cap »

Not a lot of details. I assume the PA is the government they intend to recognize. I wonder if they’ll open embassies in the West Bank.