Israel / Palestine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Israel / Palestine

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:05 am
I hate Twitter posts by people I never heard of telling me how to feel. I refuse to even have Twitter/X. I rarely see posts with links to any news site I ever heard of. There are a ton of X accounts of foreigners posing as Americans with super patriotic titles trying to sway our views.
I'm happy to post only links to legit news sources. This is from NYT. Note the photos of the Israeli precision bomb blasts on the aid workers' vehicles.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

IDF ends active ground invasion, completely withdraws from southern Gaza
https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/art ... e_vignette

Cap

Post by Cap »

Thank God. Now feed those people.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Is that true? I can't find it yet anywhere else. Not trying to shoot the messenger, I just am trying to find more info.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Israel withdraws most troops from south at six-month mark of Gaza war
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/is ... r-BB1lcgpI

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Does this mean it's over for the time being?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Or a pause to rearm.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s the Sun a total tabloid but,

ISRAELI PM Benjamin Netanyahu faces a wave of mutiny in his ranks as senior ministers demand a fresh invasion of Gaza after the withdrawal of IDF troops.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/27190673/ ... -hostages/
Yesterday, exactly six months after horrific Hamas massacre of 1,200 Israelis on October 7, the IDF almost completely withdrew from southern Gaza.

The unexpected move is reportedly linked to a possible ceasefire deal - demanded by tens of thousands of Israelis who took to the streets on the weekend in protest.

But Israel's national security minister Ben-Gvir slammed the decision, calling on Netanyahu to begin a fresh ground assault in Rafah where over 1.4million Palestinians are sheltering.

He suggested Netanyahu would not be able to continue as PM after the decision.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nothing is over.

Trying to find the positive in "we are pulling out. Here is your land, your cities laid to waste and bodies strewn about in rubble and homes. Please don't turn against us and join Hamas, especially young Palestinians that have lost friends and family".

The cycle will always continue.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes, it will. It will outlive our children’s children.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Israeli settlers storm West Bank village, setting cars and homes ablaze
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/12/middleea ... index.html
CNN

Hundreds of armed Israeli settlers stormed a village in the occupied West Bank on Friday, setting fire to several homes and cars in one of the largest attacks by settlers this year, according to Palestinian officials.

According to Abu-Alia, Israeli security forces had informed Palestinian officials that the settlers were looking for an Israeli teenager who had gone missing earlier in the day.

He estimated that between 1,000 and 1,200 settlers surrounded the village, and around 500 stormed it just after midday local time on Friday, blocking all the roads in the area.

The settlers attacked the village, raided homes, and fired guns at residents, he said. Videos obtained by CNN show parts of the village burning, with smoke billowing over several buildings and settlers lobbing rocks. Houses and cars are seen completely burned up, with sounds of gunfire and clashes heard in the background.

According to Abu-Alia, the Israeli military arrived at the scene at around 3 p.m. local time, but did not stop the settlers from attacking the village. Instead, Israeli soldiers allowed them to raid homes, prevented Palestinian residents from moving around and blocked ambulances from reaching the injured, he alleged.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So we're on the brink of WWIII, and nothing is here to show it?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Fuck Mario Nahwal, but, yeah the Iranian strike on Israel is a big deal. POTUS will be making an address to the nation about it soon. In the meanwhile, this made me laugh sadly:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes that was funny.

Why do you have your panties in a bunch over Mario Nahwal? What is your outrage about?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Will be interesting to see the response to this strike on Israel. It is so weird to me how we immediately hop to it when Israel is attacked (good) but can't agree to give aid to Ukraine.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If Trump wanted aid to Ukraine Republicans would be for it. He is the party. He makes up all of their stances and he doesn’t hold any office. Besides if he was President, Russia wouldn’t have attacked Ukraine and Iran wouldn’t have attacked Israel. At least that’s what he said. I guess he controls Russia and Iran now too. So powerful.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Israel says it will retaliate. The US says it will not participate in retaliation against Iran. The GOP demands the US retaliate and calls Biden weak. Trump blames Dems for Iran’s attack. War ships by everyone taking up positions including Russia. Israel seems like it’s ready to take on the world and doesn’t care what the repercussions are. The US is trying to urge restraint. WWIII coming or just saber rattling?

Cap

Post by Cap »

I urge proportional retaliation: Israel should send Iran a bunch of drones to shoot down, then call it even.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not that crazy of an idea. It’s all about saving face.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:50 pm
Not that crazy of an idea. It’s all about saving face.
I doubt a Netanyahu government would perceive an ineffective attack as “saving face,” even if it’s in retaliation for an ineffective attack.