Israel / Palestine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Israel / Palestine

Post by Mori Chu »

Israeli soldiers keep shooting innocent Palestinian civilians.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

US military aircraft airdrop thousands of meals into Gaza in emergency humanitarian aid operation
https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas ... 78bc70a084

TOO

Post by TOO »

Tomorrow you'll read how hundreds died because the air drops landed in civilians heads.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's so funny that we have to airdrop aid to get around the behavior of an ally. Really dumb and pathetic.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

US says Israel has agreed to the framework for a Gaza cease-fire. Hamas must now decide
https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas ... f7b11ce394

Netanyahu rival’s visit to U.S. highlights cracks within Israel’s wartime leadership
https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas ... e7973795e7
TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rebuked a top Cabinet minister heading to Washington on Sunday for talks with U.S. officials, according to an Israeli official, signaling widening cracks within the country’s leadership nearly five months into its war with Hamas.

The trip by Benny Gantz, a centrist political rival who joined Netanyahu’s wartime Cabinet following Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack, comes as friction between the U.S. and Netanyahu is also rising over how to alleviate the suffering of Palestinians in Gaza and what the postwar plan for the enclave should look like.

An official from Netanyahu’s far-right Likud party said Gantz’s trip was planned without authorization from the Israeli leader. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Netanyahu had a “tough talk” with Gantz and told him the country has “just one prime minister.”

U.S. priorities in the region have increasingly been hampered by Netanyahu’s Cabinet, which is dominated by ultranationalists. Gantz’s more moderate party at times acts as a counterweight to Netanyahu’s far-right allies.

The U.S. wants to see progress on the creation of a Palestinian state, envisioning a revamped Palestinian leadership running Gaza with an eye toward eventual statehood.

That vision is opposed by Netanyahu and the hard-liners in his government.

Gantz has remained vague about his view of Palestinian statehood. Polls show he would earn enough support to become prime minister if a vote were held today.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's good that the admin is now using the phrase "cease-fire." But the problem is, I think the cease-fire they're all proposing is that Israel/Hamas will agree not to attack each other for 60 days, in return for which Hamas will release 100% of Israeli hostages. The problem is, that agreement says nothing about day 61, when Hamas may fear that Israel will just resume attacking. And then with no hostages, they'll have no qualm about bombing any Palestinian area. So it may actually not be a good deal for them.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:00 pm
It's good that the admin is now using the phrase "cease-fire." But the problem is, I think the cease-fire they're all proposing is that Israel/Hamas will agree not to attack each other for 60 days, in return for which Hamas will release 100% of Israeli hostages. The problem is, that agreement says nothing about day 61, when Hamas may fear that Israel will just resume attacking. And then with no hostages, they'll have no qualm about bombing any Palestinian area. So it may actually not be a good deal for them.

From this post it appears you’re pro-hostage taking as a tactic, which is pretty wild. Or are you just concerned for the wellbeing of Hamas? I think you’re also giving Hamas a level of credit for caring about the lives of ordinary Palestinians that they don’t deserve.

Here is what’s going on with the hostages, many of them young women, if you care:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not pro-hostage-taking. I'm just saying that this headline is being twisted to fit a certain narrative. The framing seems to be, "Israel and US want cease-fire, but Hamas says no." But Israel is asking Hamas to give up all of their leverage in return for only 2 months of cease-fire, then they can freely begin bombing them again.

I don't know why you think I am pro-Hamas or pro-hostage-taking. I loathe Hamas and have said many times that their attack on 10/7 was abhorrent. But Israel since then has eclipsed the savagery of 10/7 and is now more in the wrong than Hamas ever was in the current conflict. Their genocide of innocent Palestinians must stop.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I'm just saying that this headline is being twisted to fit a certain narrative.
True for anything political. Most of your posts on this are certainly trying to paint a certain narrative. If the ministry of health in Gaza reports something, you take it as the ministry of health reporting. The ministry of health is Hamas. I take anything from them with a grain of salt since it comes from terrorists who clearly hate Israel and want to paint them in as negative a light they can.

I think if Hamas agreed to stop trying to wipe Israel off the map, Israel might be willing to agree to a cease fire a little easier. So far Hamas hasn’t indicated as far as I know any intentions of stopping their violence against Israel ever. If the Palestinian people picked leaders to lead them who weren’t terrorists funded by Iran who keep trying to wipe Israel off the map, they might not be in this situation.

I wonder myself if Israel is doing all they can to keep casualties down. I wonder if the plan is to rid Gaza of all Palestinians so Israel can make more condos there. I just do not know.
Last edited by Nodack on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I feel like the lack of a two-state system is a problem. I’m not defending all the actions of Palestine over the years, but I can understand having a feeling like you don’t have adequate representation. It’s unfortunate they’ve turned to terrorists, but I also don’t think that is necessarily on the citizens. At least not all of them.

I can’t say that I’m super familiar with the politics there, but why hasn’t a two-state solution happened yet? Who’s against it? I’d guess it’s probably about how to split up the territory, but that seems like the most likely solution to provide some semblance of stability that doesn’t also wipe one of them off the face of the earth.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think it’s a long story with many chapters along the way. I think the various players have tried and failed at different times throughout the decades this has been going on and I think many have given up on a two state solution.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:52 am
I think it’s a long story with many chapters along the way. I think the various players have tried and failed at different times throughout the decades this has been going on and I think many have given up on a two state solution.
Oslo was the last chance for a two state solution. When that failed, it sentenced us all to a permanent state of war.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:53 pm
Nodack wrote:
Oslo was the last chance for a two state solution. When that failed, it sentenced us all to a permanent state of war.
What does Norway have to do with it?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:56 pm
Cap wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:53 pm
Nodack wrote:
What does Norway have to do with it?
Not much. They just happen to be the place where the negotiations took place.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Oslo Accords, from 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_Accords#Criticism

I don't know a ton about it, but I believe it was a start of a peace process between Israel and Palestine. It seemed to imply a two-state solution would be coming, but it never happened. And various folks on either side were not satisfied with the deal, and the peace didn't last. Notably Hamas committed some atrocious acts of violence not long afterward.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:46 pm
The Oslo Accords, from 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_Accords#Criticism

I don't know a ton about it, but I believe it was a start of a peace process between Israel and Palestine. It seemed to imply a two-state solution would be coming, but it never happened. And various folks on either side were not satisfied with the deal, and the peace didn't last. Notably Hamas committed some atrocious acts of violence not long afterward.
Hmm. Seems like a pattern.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You think?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

At least 5 killed after airdropped aid falls on them in Gaza
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/08/middleea ... index.html
In a video obtained by CNN on Friday, an airdrop goes wrong when the parachute on a pallet malfunctions. The pallet and its contents can be seen falling at a high speed towards a residential building near the Fairoz Towers in western Gaza.

Hamas Sees Biden's Gaza Aid Plan as 'Positive Step'
https://www.newsweek.com/hamas-biden-ga ... ep-1877336
The plan, unveiled by Biden during his annual speech delivered Thursday evening at the Capitol, would see the U.S. military establish a temporary pier off the coast of Gaza in order to ramp up humanitarian assistance to the war-torn Palestinian territory.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This will be a real test for Biden.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:20 pm
This will be a real test for Biden.
► Show Spoiler
What do you think he should do about it?
"Be Legendary."