World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Cap

Re: World Politics

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:30 am
Cap wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:15 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:49 am
Cap wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:35 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:11 am

You're speaking of a hypothetical situation, but not something that would even be possible. What did he do when he was President for 4 years?

Then, we are supposedly talking about Trump coordinating with prosecutors all over the country to start prosecuting news agencies? I don't think that could even happen, let alone Trump willing to do it. The whole thing is nonsense, unless we recognize what is being done by Joe and his administration. We already know that lawfare was used against Fox and they bent over and took it up the ass by settling with Dominion.
Again, I asked you whether the threat is authoritarian. Your response is that you don’t think Trump could pull it off. That wasn’t the question.

OK, I’ll stop asking. It’s obviously a question you’re unwilling to answer.
It's not a threat if it's not possible. If I say that "I am going to toss my pool onto your car at Zipps", do you consider that a threat? I can't possibly pick up my pool and I have no idea what your car is or looks like.
If Biden tried to have Fox News charged with treason, would you shrug it off as no big deal because he won’t succeed, or would you be outraged?
If he 'tried to have', then that's different than if he said he would, but at the same time, he has proven to do things like that so I would take it seriously.
Trump’s declared intention to enforce an authoritarian agenda is OK because you think he’s lying? That’s a beaut.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:27 pm
In2ition wrote:
So who is the authoritarian? The one that threatened to make sure that Trump can't win the Presidency, by every means legally, and is currently using lawfare all over the country on their opponents and supporters, or one that said something that can't possibly happen?
Biden has not "threatened to make sure that Trump can't win the Presidency." Nor does Biden control the various prosecutors and judges currently interacting with Trump in his various cases. Several of these cases are state trials, completely separate from the Executive Branch of the federal government. But I guess puppet-master Biden is behind it all? I thought he was senile old Sleepy Joe? He's sleepy with dementia but also an evil fascist mastermind?
I don't know what to tell you. They've all been to the WH and talked to WH counsel. They are all Dems coordinating this, and trying their best to get other states involved. Get Trump! is their goal and motto, and it's pretty plain to see for everyone that doesn't have their eyes shut because of partisaness.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SbPkVppXOEk
Last edited by In2ition on Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:35 pm
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:35 am

Again, I asked you whether the threat is authoritarian. Your response is that you don’t think Trump could pull it off. That wasn’t the question.

OK, I’ll stop asking. It’s obviously a question you’re unwilling to answer.
It's not a threat if it's not possible. If I say that "I am going to toss my pool onto your car at Zipps", do you consider that a threat? I can't possibly pick up my pool and I have no idea what your car is or looks like.
If Biden tried to have Fox News charged with treason, would you shrug it off as no big deal because he won’t succeed, or would you be outraged?
If he 'tried to have', then that's different than if he said he would, but at the same time, he has proven to do things like that so I would take it seriously.
Trump’s declared intention to enforce an authoritarian agenda is OK because you think he’s lying? That’s a beaut.
For some reason you think he said he is going to enforce an authoritarian agenda, but I contend that he did not and will not.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I see nothing in that Matt Shirley Youtube video that is upsetting. Honestly it's been edited a ton to try to ridicule Biden, funny sound FX and zooms and such, but really he says nothing alarming or bad at all.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:09 pm
I see nothing in that Matt Shirley Youtube video that is upsetting. Honestly it's been edited a ton to try to ridicule Biden, funny sound FX and zooms and such, but really he says nothing alarming or bad at all.
He's telling you that they plan on using every type of lawfare against Trump. And, we are seeing it every single day.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:02 pm
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

For some reason you think he said he is going to enforce an authoritarian agenda, but I contend that he did not and will not.
He says he will have his critics prosecuted for treason. That’s not authoritarian?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:44 pm
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:

He says he will have his critics prosecuted for treason. That’s not authoritarian?
I could make an argument that they were treasonous, but we'll have to let the Military tribunals do that if it comes to treason.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:54 pm
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I could make an argument that they were treasonous, but we'll have to let the Military tribunals do that if it comes to treason.
Negative coverage of Trump is treason?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:57 pm
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:

No, not negative coverage. Anyone can have disagreements and criticism. I don't think you could try the media for treason, but I think that some of the media was tried for crimes against humanity after WWII, no?

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:04 pm
Cap wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:57 pm
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

No, not negative coverage. Anyone can have disagreements and criticism. I don't think you could try the media for treason, but I think that some of the media was tried for crimes against humanity after WWII, no?
Trump says he can and will try them for treason, and you seem OK with it. As to the second point, are you suggesting that MSNBC is guilty of crimes against humanity?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So Trump trying to overthrow the election by asking for an additional 11,000 votes in Georgia makes him a what exactly?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:09 pm
So Trump trying to overthrow the election by asking for an additional 11,000 votes in Georgia makes him a what exactly?
He didn't try to overthrow anything other than an already overthrown election. There are still a ton of unanswered problems with the election results in Georgia. I still think that this is going to come out, and the whole country will see who the real insurrectionists were.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
He didn't try to overthrow anything other than an already overthrown election. There are still a ton of unanswered problems with the election results in Georgia. I still think that this is going to come out, and the whole country will see who the real insurrectionists were.
OK, In2. I'm not going to talk politics with you any longer.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:25 pm
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yeah, I said it. And if you've seen what I'd seen, you would say it too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

When a court of law finds Trump guilty during a Biden administration that means Biden is a tyrant, even if it’s a state court.

If a military tribunal under Trump made up of loyal Trump appointees finds his critics guilty of treason, that’s something we should accept and not authoritarian.

Do you not see a double standard here?

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:35 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Reynolds wrap enthusiast.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:53 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:35 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Reynolds wrap enthusiast.
😆 ok

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

BRAZIL IS ON THE BRINK

I’m reporting to you from Brazil, where a dramatic series of events are underway.

At 5:52 pm Eastern Time, today, April 6, 2024, X corporation, formerly known as Twitter, announced that a Brazilian court had forced it to “block certain popular accounts in Brazil.”

Then, less than one hour later, the owner of X, @ElonMusk announced that X would defy the court’s order, and lift all restrictions.

“As a result,” said Musk, “we will probably lose all revenue in Brazil and have to shut down our office there. But principles matter more than profit.”

At any moment, Brazil’s Supreme Court could shut off all access to X/Twitter for the people of Brazil.
It is not an exaggeration to say that Brazil is on the brink of dictatorship at the hands of a totalitarian Supreme Court Justice named Alexandre de Moraes.

President Lula da Silva is participating in the push toward totalitarianism. Since taking office, Lula has massively increased government funding of the mainstream news media, most of which are encouraging increased censorship.

What Lula and de Moraes are doing is an outrageous violation of Brazil’s constitution and the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights.

At this moment, Brazil is not yet a dictatorship. It still has elections and the Brazilian people have other means at their disposal to confront authoritarianism.

But the Federal Supreme Court and the Superior Electoral Court are directly interfere in those elections through censorship.

Three days ago I published the Twitter Files for Brazil. They show that Moraes has violated the Brazilian Constitution. Moraes illegally demanded that Twitter reveal private information about Twitter users who used hashtags he considered inappropriate. He demanded access to Twitter's internal data, violating the platform's policy. He censored, on his own initiative and without any respect for due process, posts on Twitter by parliamentarians from the Brazilian Congress. And Moraes tried to turn Twitter's content moderation policies into a weapon against supporters of then-president Jair Bolsonaro.

I say this as an independent and non-partisan journalist. I'm not a fan of either Bolsonaro or Trump. My political views are very moderate. But I know censorship when I see it.

The Twitter Files also revealed that Google, Facebook, Uber, WhatsApp and Instagram betrayed the people of Brazil. If such evidence is proven, the executives of these companies behaved like cowards: they provided the Brazilian government with personal registration data and telephone numbers without a court order and, therefore, violating the law.
When Twitter refused to provide Brazilian authorities with private user information, including direct messages, the government attempted to sue Twitter's top Brazilian lawyer.

When I lived in Brazil in 1992, I was very left-wing. At the time, Lula and the PT's slogans were “Without fear of being happy”.

In recent days, I have spoken to dozens of Brazilians, including professors, journalists and respected lawyers. Everyone tells me they are shocked by what is happening. They told me that they are afraid to speak their mind and that the Lula government is complicit in creating this climate of fear.

Brazil belongs to the Brazilians. It is not my country. As such, there are limits to what I am capable of doing.

But I can say things that many Brazilians do not feel safe saying: Alexandre de Moraes is a tyrant. And the only way to deal with tyrants is to confront them. It is up to Brazil’s senators to confront the tyrant. And it is up to the people of Brazil to demand that their senators do so.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Source? Who is Michael Shellenberger?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Michael Schellenberger is a longtime respected journalist.