World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: World Politics

Post by In2ition »

At least the electric power was still running. Glad they got it fixed.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The power temporarily goes out in places all over the world all the time for various reasons. Why are you singling out Germany as if it proved some right wing conspiracy?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wasn't singling out Germany, it just showed up on my feed, and in the news, as was the shutting down of the nuclear power stations a week earlier, and it just so happened to be in the winter. Not a great time for all that to happen, but just a coincidence, not a wing nut conspiracy, haha.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Germany has been going green. Republicans are against going green. I just figured you were saying it to show green is bad.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

A Tsunami hitting Germany is unlikely, so you would think that Nuclear is much more green than either Solar or Wind. There is a lot of damage to the environment done in creation of solar panels, and they don't last forever. Same with Wind, so you have to replace many parts in them over time, and I'm no expert, but I don't think wind generators have generally been healthy for the bird population overall.

Even without the latest changes coming in with Nuclear, it's by far the cleanest and most green of all energy sources right now. At least that's my understanding. I can't speak for everyone, but I think going cleaner, cheaper and longer lasting is better.

Indy

Post by Indy »

nuclear waste that remains radioactive for thousands of years is the same as birds flying into propellers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

There is a company that is using radioactive waste material to make batteries, which would help this problem if perfected.

Idk how many birds have died of the radioactive waste, but it's probably higher than zero. I'm not even saying that radioactive waste isn't a problem, as we know they are creating 3 headed fish and 4 winged birds and such. ;) I'm not sure that we know the exact problems with the waste storage. Are we sure it's worse than the used masks are creating now?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He mentioned Germany having a power outage because it aligned with right-wing taking points. No more and no less. That's why he saw it on social media, which is why he shared it here.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wrong, but it's not worth fighting with you. It's silly.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Russia and the United States maintain globally significant and strategic foreign-relations ties. Both nations have shared interests in nuclear safety and security, nonproliferation, counterterrorism, and space exploration.[1] The relationship was generally warm under the Russian President Boris Yeltsin (1991–99) until the NATO bombing of Yugoslavia[2][3] in the spring of 1999, and has since deteriorated significantly. In 2014, relations greatly deteriorated further due to the Russia's annexation of Crimea and Russian military intervention in Ukraine. It was reinforced by the Russian military intervention in the Syrian Civil War, and from the end of 2016 over Russia's interference in the 2016 U.S. elections and alleged interference in the 2020 elections. Mutual sanctions imposed in 2014 remain in place.

U.S. goods and services trade with Russia totaled an estimated $34.9 billion in 2019. Exports were $10.9 billion; imports were $24.0 billion. ... Goods exports totaled $5.8 billion; goods imports totaled $22.3 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Russia was $16.5 billion in 2019.

Russia and the US do not like each other. I think Russia especially hates us. Putin severing ties? We weren’t exactly close before.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

We were pretty close a few years ago. I'd argue closer than any time since Regan and Gorbachev.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I do think we need to start building nuclear plants like crazy, the occasional meltdown isn't as bad as the consequences of climate change.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If the salt water nuclear plants are as safe as they claim, it's a no brainer unless something even better comes along.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Not salt water, liquid sodium. And thorium might he even better. The only reason we are not using Thorium, which produces 1/100th the radioactive waste, is that the US Navy needed breeder reactors to produce nuclear weapons fuel in the 1970s.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Edit: you were right, it is called molten salt reactors. And it turns out that molten salt architecture and thorium fuel is a perfect combination. Regardless who is in power, and where in the world we are, we should be shutting down all the coal plants as soon as we build gazillions of these reactors.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I posted an article about this not long ago in the New Tech thread. Aren’t they building the very first one these right now? It seems a few years away from being a proven thing. They will want to build one and see it operate safely for awhile before building a whole bunch more won’t they? I am in though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oof, this is a tough watch.

Indy

Post by Indy »

A shitty human.

How many billionaires care about slave labor and concentration camps?

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:08 pm
I posted an article about this not long ago in the New Tech thread. Aren’t they building the very first one these right now? It seems a few years away from being a proven thing. They will want to build one and see it operate safely for awhile before building a whole bunch more won’t they? I am in though.
It is a conservative industry and with good reason. I am good with this.