World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: World Politics

Post by Mori Chu »

Finland will officially join NATO. This is good.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Chinese spy balloon gathered intelligence from sensitive U.S. military sites, despite U.S. efforts to block it
The intelligence China collected was mostly from electronic signals, which can be picked up from weapons systems or include communications from base personnel.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nation ... -rcna77155

The balloon entered U.S. airspace over Alaska on Jan. 28, according to the Biden administration, which said it was tracking it as it moved. Within the next four days, the balloon was flying over Montana — specifically Malmstrom Air Force Base, where the U.S. stores some of its nuclear assets.

China was able to control the balloon so it could make multiple passes over some of the sites (at times flying figure-eight formations) and transmit the information it collected back to Beijing in real time, the three officials said.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu aka Trump II has been brought up on corruption charges, got a pace maker and just stripped their Supreme Court of power to appose anything the government does. People in Israel aren’t happy. The opposition didn’t even vote. They walked out. Thousands of military reservists are now refusing to serve. Thousands protesting in the streets. Biden has condemned the move. I haven’t heard from Trump but, pretty sure he will think it was great.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Netanyahu is trying to be a dictator. A real leader in the Trump mold, as you say. It's become polarizing to criticize Israel's government (some people say doing so is antisemitic), but they're doing some frightening things. I don't really have a dog in that fight, but it does seem to me like the Palestinian people are not being treated very well by the government of Israel, and that makes me sad.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Israel/Palestinian debate has been ongoing since the end of WWII. I won’t bother commenting on that anymore.

Netanyahu does seem like he is attempting major power grab and that is troubling to many. It does seem like he has gone Trump. Both accused of corruption and both saying screw you to Democracy. It could have major implications with the US if he succeeds. Biden will object to it. Trump will praise it.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

U.S. Hunts Chinese Malware That Could Disrupt American Military Operations

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/29/us/p ... roid-share
The malware—described by one official as a “ticking time bomb”—is designed to interrupt military operations and would allow China to cut off power, water and communications to U.S. military bases, officials told the Times, though it could also affect homes and businesses across the country.
Not good.

I hated being spot on early with my concern regarding COVID. I hope I'm wrong this time.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:11 pm

The malware—described by one official as a “ticking time bomb”—is designed to interrupt military operations and would allow China to cut off power, water and communications to U.S. military bases, officials told the Times, though it could also affect homes and businesses across the country.
Not good.

I hated being spot on early with my concern regarding COVID. I hope I'm wrong this time.
Unfortunately wars are being fought now in cyberspace…. Our infrastructure has been targeted for years now and has been getting worse.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:54 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

Not good.

Unfortunately wars are being fought now in cyberspace…. Our infrastructure has been targeted for years now and has been getting worse.
I was telling my wife that we 99.9% likely have malware and other things on our enemies and adversaries computers and electronics all over the world.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:45 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:54 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

Not good.

I was telling my wife that we 99.9% likely have malware and other things on our enemies and adversaries computers and electronics all over the world.
Amazing documentary called “zero days” about how we have the netanz nuclear plant in Iran that was “air gapped” …. Meaning no internet access what so ever and how they got around that was amazing.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pentagon bets on quick production of autonomous systems to counter China
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/2 ... a-00113083
The Pentagon is about to make a huge bet that it can field thousands of autonomous systems within two years — an attempt to use technological innovation to counter China’s much larger stockpile of traditional weapons.

The plan: With Replicator, the Pentagon aims to have thousands of autonomous systems across various domains produced and delivered in 18 to 24 months.

Hicks declined to discuss what specific platforms might be produced under the program — such as aerial drones or unmanned ships — citing the “competition landscape” in the defense industry as well as concerns about tipping DOD’s hand to China. The Pentagon will instead “say more as we get to production on capabilities.”

Defense leaders are also fighting an arduous battle to quickly ramp up the industrial base to replenish military inventories of missiles and other weapons that have been sent to Ukraine, but that could also be of use in a China-Taiwan conflict.

Why this tech: Autonomous weapons are seen as a potential way to counter China’s numerical advantages in ships, missiles and troops in a rapidly narrowing window. Fielding large numbers of cheap, expendable drones, proponents argue, is faster and lower-cost than exquisite weapons systems and puts fewer troops at risk.

Why now: The Pentagon is pushing to counter threats posed by China in the Pacific amid concerns that Beijing may accrue the military might needed to invade Taiwan before the decade is out.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’m not the only one concerned.

China preparing for war with US, Air Force secretary says
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4199 ... tary-says/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I found this thread (on Mastadon!) interesting. A guy makes a web app as a hobby that checks grocery prices in Austria. After running the numbers, he discovers a huge price fixing / collusion scandal by all the country's major grocery retailers.

https://mastodon.gamedev.place/@badlogi ... 6799790275

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:52 am
I found this thread (on Mastadon!) interesting. A guy makes a web app as a hobby that checks grocery prices in Austria. After running the numbers, he discovers a huge price fixing / collusion scandal by all the country's major grocery retailers.

https://mastodon.gamedev.place/@badlogi ... 6799790275
That’s freaking crazy…. Solid work too.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think that stuff happens all over the place in many sectors. Some are more open about it. I think of OPEC. “If we all raise our prices together we all make more money”.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Russia and US both test their nationwide emergency warning systems on same day. Kind of scary. I’m sure it’s nothing…

Chilling moment ‘nuke incoming’ sirens sound & schoolkids wear gas masks in war drills as Putin readies Russians for WW3
https://www.the-sun.com/news/9246685/nu ... putin-ww3/
It was Russia's first nationwide civil defence exercise as Putin indoctrinates his people about the danger of the West triggering nuclear war.

An emergency alert test sounded today on all U.S. cellphones, TVs and radios. Here's what happened.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/emergency- ... vs-radios/
Most Americans with wireless cellular devices should have received an emergency alert message on their phones. Those whose televisions or radios were turned on when the test occurred should have seen or heard an alert message, too.

Russia tested its own emergency public warning system on Wednesday, sounding sirens across the country and interrupting some television and radio broadcasts, Reuters reported.

Wednesday's test was conducted to evaluate the technological capabilities of the national alert system to reach and inform as many people as possible in case of a widespread emergency.

Exactly what kind of emergency are we talking about?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:55 pm
Exactly what kind of emergency are we talking about?
Typically EBS is used for storm warnings and Amber Alerts. Theoretically it could also be used for invasion, air raids, tsunamis, or black swan events we can’t think of.

Can’t imagine why it would be used nationally, short of nuclear war. What else could threaten the whole nation at once?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My whole point. We tested it the same day Russia tested theirs. Russia made it clear they are practicing for nuclear war. We just said it was test of the National Emergency system in typical generic terms. Almost as if they were upping the defcon level.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Anti-Vaxxers Think an Emergency Phone Alert Will Cause a Zombie Apocalypse

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The end is near! It would be better to end yourselves than let the deep state turn you into a zombie it with their evil 5g devil rays. They could have had all the anti-vaxxers take the vaccine if they just told them they weren’t allowed to get it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Let them die of their own ignorance.
"Be Legendary."