World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: World Politics

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:25 am
Do we have any better sense of how many trucks and people are showing up to this protest yet? I read that they were being rowdy, taking food intended for homeless people from a shelter, and defiling a monument or something. But how many were there?
I am curious about this too. Sounded like they were actually feeding the homeless and polished the statue. But, how many are there? I haven't gotten a firm count from anyone. Maybe it doesn't matter. Does seem to be spreading though and however many are there, they are certainly being heard, outside of the judge calling for a stop of honking for 10 days. Now, instead of honking, they are revving their engines, which is probably worse. I'm surprised this hasn't been bigger news on here. We are going to start feeling the effects of this in the supply chain too very soon.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

As if the supply chain wasn’t already messed up enough from Covid. A protest is a protest. They think vaccines are bad for whatever reasons and are protesting against mandates. The whole idea of a protest is to draw attention to your issue and they succeeded. I am ok with lifting vaccine mandates now. Everyone who wanted to get the vaccines has already done so. The only people dying now for the most part are the anti-vaccine people. Let them die if their Liberty is more important to them than living.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Give me liberty or give me death!

Sure, go for it. Just don't kill others along the way.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:57 pm
Give me liberty or give me death!

Sure, go for it. Just don't kill others along the way.
Or continue to be incubators for new variants that might kill us all one day.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I found this article informative

What created the new, more aggressive Putin
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/12/politics ... index.html
Michael Kimmage, a professor at the Catholic University of America. He specializes in US-Russia relations and is a voice for engagement with Russia and a more nuanced view of the country.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Russian invasion of the Ukraine on Wednesday? That seems to be the best guess. Commercial airlines just stopped service and airlines have been warned not to fly over the Black sea or they might get shot down.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:38 pm
Russian invasion of the Ukraine on Wednesday? That seems to be the best guess. Commercial airlines just stopped service and airlines have been warned not to fly over the Black sea or they might get shot down.

We'll see. I kind of think Putin may be playing at brinksmanship but will back off right before invading, but not without gaining some kind of concession. If not a literal diplomatic concession, he might at least cause Ukraine to show fear or show a spectre of Russia's supposed strength. I don't think Putin actually wants a multi-national war; they aren't strong enough to fare well in that scenario.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think Putin is afraid of the Ukraine getting to comfy with NATO and fears them joining NATO. They are like China and want countries along their border to be pro Russia/China.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Can't say that I'm surprised that little Castro jr. is showing his dictator like hunger for power more openly as he is getting more and more people go against his tyranny. God forbid the country has peaceful nationwide protests and civil disobedience against his tyrannical edicts as he believes himself to be all powerful and therefore demands to be obeyed.

Trudeau plans on invoking the Emergencies Act: sources
PM looking at 'further actions the government can take'
CBC News · Posted: Feb 14, 2022 7:54 AM ET | Last Updated: 10 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.6350734

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has told his caucus he will invoke the never-before-used Emergencies Act to give the federal government extra powers to handle the protests across the country, according to sources.

Those sources, who were not authorized to speak publicly, said the prime minister will inform the premiers of his decision later today.

In a meeting with the Liberal caucus Monday morning, Trudeau said there were no plans to deploy the military, the sources said.

Government considering emergency powers with 'appropriate caution,' federal minister says
Opportunity to end convoy protest peacefully is slipping away, experts say
The move follows a meeting Sunday of the federal cabinet and its Incident Response Group (IRG).

Trudeau tweeted late Sunday that the IRG discussed "further actions the government can take to help end the blockades and occupations."

Earlier that day, Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair told CBC's Rosemary Barton Live that the federal government has discussed invoking special emergency powers to deal with ongoing protests in Ottawa.

Blair described the attitude around invoking the Emergencies Act as "appropriate caution" rather than "reticence."

The law gives the federal government carte blanche to cope with a crisis.

The legislation, which replaced the War Measures Act, defines a national emergency as a temporary "urgent and critical situation" that "seriously endangers the lives, health or safety of Canadians and is of such proportions or nature as to exceed the capacity or authority of a province to deal with it."

While Blair emphasized it was important to make sure that "the appropriate authorities that are with the provinces are fully utilized," he said the federal government was "prepared to do everything necessary."

The War Measures Act was most famously used by Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau during the October Crisis.

Interesting how Musk had a tweet that was appropriate for this.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

that tweet from Musk is so... Musk. Talk to anyone that works for him directly (or even indirectly) and it is clear he doesn't believe a word of it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That may be correct. I do not have access to everyone that works for him directly (or even indirectly) like you must, but it doesn't make his tweet untrue. It just makes him saying it, insincere.

Indy

Post by Indy »

agreed, but I don't see what it has to do with the Emergencies Act in Canada.

And to address your snark, I never said I know everyone that has worked for him. I just have colleagues that have worked for him directly. Sure, maybe he doesn't treat everyone that way, but he is pretty open about what an asshole he is.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:15 am
agreed, but I don't see what it has to do with the Emergencies Act in Canada.

And to address your snark, I never said I know everyone that has worked for him. I just have colleagues that have worked for him directly. Sure, maybe he doesn't treat everyone that way, but he is pretty open about what an asshole he is.
I can not say whether he is or he isn't. It also wouldn't surprise me if this is entirely true, and I kind of expect it to be true.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Can't say that I'm surprised that little Castro jr. is showing his dictator like hunger for power more openly as he is getting more and more people go against his tyranny. God forbid the country has peaceful nationwide protests and civil disobedience against his tyrannical edicts as he believes himself to be all powerful and therefore demands to be obeyed.

And here I thought he was just trying to get a handle on saving lives in his country. Turns out he is just an evil dictator who just wants to hurt his people on purpose to quench his lust for power. Thanks for clarifying that. Pfft

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like Trudeau is living rent-free in your head!!1

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:07 am

And here I thought he was just trying to get a handle on saving lives in his country. Turns out he is just an evil dictator who just wants to hurt his people on purpose to quench his lust for power. Thanks for clarifying that. Pfft
Happy to clear that up for you, even though it seems obvious.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:22 am
Right, I have TDS(Trudeau Derangement Syndrome), haha.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:35 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:22 am
Right, I have TDS(Trudeau Derangement Syndrome), haha.
You got my joke exactly. :-) I'm just pulling your leg, and thanks for being a good sport about it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You give or gave $25 or more to GoFundMe or GiveSendGo for the truckers, you are now considered a terrorist and they will freeze your bank accounts. Authoritarians are putting the boot on your face with the quickness.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Well, it didn't stop Trudeau from doing it, so here we are.