Abortion

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Abortion

Post by Mori Chu »

I can see that you took a lot of time to post a lengthy answer with several examples and videos and tweets and quotes. Thank you for that. I don't want to ignore your message. After looking at your message here are my thoughts.

You made a very specific claim in your message, which is that many major Dems support abortion in all cases, including after birth. Which isn't even an abortion; it would be a killing of a live baby, an infanticide. I was curious to see any support for that specific idea, of killing babies AFTER they have been born. For some reason Republicans keep repeating that Dems support doing that, support killing of already born babies, and I'm here to tell you that that is not true.

In your several examples you gave, I'm looking for examples of the AFTER birth aspect. The only part that seems close to it is the short clip from Northam, where he talks about a discussion between a mother and a doctor after a baby has been born? But out of context, I'm not sure what he is saying exactly. I don't hear him saying he supports murdering born babies.

In fact, when I google this specific clip and claim from Northam, I find many sites saying that Northam has been widely misquoted and misleadingly mischaracterized on viral social media posts. It sounds like he's talking about when a women goes into unexpected labor and gives birth to a basically brain-dead baby that can only be kept technically alive on a ventilator and other equipment and is not going to survive for any length of time. Examples:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN27D2GS/
A meme shared by over 70,766 on Facebook misrepresents comments made by Virginia Governor Ralph Northam in 2019 when he was asked about a bill that, among other things, aimed to ease restrictions for third trimester abortions in the state. The meme falsely suggests that Northam is in favor of legalizing infanticide by leaving out some key contextual references in his remarks.

Northam was referring to “third-trimester abortions” that are done in cases “where there may be severe deformities. There may be a fetus that’s non viable” he said. “If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother,” Northam stated.

This comment was quickly addressed by Republican commentators who, as reported by Vox here , took his words as “an endorsement of infanticide”.
At the time, a spokesperson for Northam told Vox the “governor had ‘absolutely not’ been referring to the euthanasia of infants born after a failed abortion” and that he was talking about a “tragic and extremely rare case in which a woman with a nonviable pregnancy or severe fetal abnormalities went into labor.”
Another source:

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-r ... 2598071326

So, I am still not seeing any evidence that any noteworthy Democrat has said that they support "aborting" babies AFTER they are born. Do you have any?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for wading through that for us, Marty.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 pm
I can see that you took a lot of time to post a lengthy answer with several examples and videos and tweets and quotes. Thank you for that. I don't want to ignore your message. After looking at your message here are my thoughts.

You made a very specific claim in your message, which is that many major Dems support abortion in all cases, including after birth. Which isn't even an abortion; it would be a killing of a live baby, an infanticide. I was curious to see any support for that specific idea, of killing babies AFTER they have been born. For some reason Republicans keep repeating that Dems support doing that, support killing of already born babies, and I'm here to tell you that that is not true.

In your several examples you gave, I'm looking for examples of the AFTER birth aspect. The only part that seems close to it is the short clip from Northam, where he talks about a discussion between a mother and a doctor after a baby has been born? But out of context, I'm not sure what he is saying exactly. I don't hear him saying he supports murdering born babies.

In fact, when I google this specific clip and claim from Northam, I find many sites saying that Northam has been widely misquoted and misleadingly mischaracterized on viral social media posts. It sounds like he's talking about when a women goes into unexpected labor and gives birth to a basically brain-dead baby that can only be kept technically alive on a ventilator and other equipment and is not going to survive for any length of time. Examples:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN27D2GS/
A meme shared by over 70,766 on Facebook misrepresents comments made by Virginia Governor Ralph Northam in 2019 when he was asked about a bill that, among other things, aimed to ease restrictions for third trimester abortions in the state. The meme falsely suggests that Northam is in favor of legalizing infanticide by leaving out some key contextual references in his remarks.

Northam was referring to “third-trimester abortions” that are done in cases “where there may be severe deformities. There may be a fetus that’s non viable” he said. “If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother,” Northam stated.

This comment was quickly addressed by Republican commentators who, as reported by Vox here , took his words as “an endorsement of infanticide”.
At the time, a spokesperson for Northam told Vox the “governor had ‘absolutely not’ been referring to the euthanasia of infants born after a failed abortion” and that he was talking about a “tragic and extremely rare case in which a woman with a nonviable pregnancy or severe fetal abnormalities went into labor.”
Another source:

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-r ... 2598071326

So, I am still not seeing any evidence that any noteworthy Democrat has said that they support "aborting" babies AFTER they are born. Do you have any?
I listened to the entire interview myself, and it wasn't about brain dead babies exclusively. That's just the water carrying that goes on with the press, trying to cover for a racist idiot like Black Face Northam.

Nearly every Dem politician believes in or won't speak against 'No limits' abortion, which is extreme in itself. Where is your line?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm fine with abortion all the way till just before the end, if it's to protect the life of the mother or the fetus is terminal. I don't know of any Dems who are at all relevant who ask for more.

If the mother's and baby's life/health are not at issue, I'm fine with a limit somewhere in the late 2nd trimester.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Well, at least you have a line, which is more than some Dems.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Arizona's state house has voted to repeal the 1864 abortion ban law. Now it goes to the state senate.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My line is it’s the woman’s body, not mine. Let the woman decide what is right for herself. The only stance the Dems need in this election is hands off women’s body’s. The Republicans have beat their stance into the ground and won. They banned abortion. Now they are paying the price in votes and backtracking as fast as they can. They built their bed. Now they get to lie in it.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Will never understand why anyone thinks they should be able to tell a woman what to do with their body. It's gross.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You think the baby is the woman's body and not a whole separate body?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's a fetus. A fetus is not a baby.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

A fetus is not a lump of cells. It's not going to turn into a fish or dog, it's a human being, an infant child, and a baby.

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:49 pm
A fetus is not a lump of cells. It's not going to turn into a fish or dog, it's a human being, an infant child, and a baby.
If it came out as that, no it wouldn't. It's not a baby until it can sustain life. I hope you you don't have any daughters.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:17 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:49 pm
If it came out as that, no it wouldn't. It's not a baby until it can sustain life. I hope you you don't have any daughters.
At what month of pregnancy are you speaking of? Perhaps we are talking about two different things.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Arizona lawmakers vote to undo near-total abortion ban from 1864, with Gov. Hobbs expected to sign
https://apnews.com/article/arizona-abor ... 4bcaf4aa01
PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona Legislature approved a repeal of a long-dormant ban on nearly all abortions Wednesday, sending the bill to Democratic Gov. Katie Hobbs, who is expected to sign it.

Two Republicans joined with Democrats in the Senate on the 16-14 vote in favor of repealing a Civil War-era ban on abortions that the state’s highest court recently allowed to take effect. The ban on all abortions — which provides no exceptions for survivors of rape or incest, and only allows for procedures done to save a patient’s life — would still be active until the fall.

“Across the country, women are living in a state of chaos and cruelty caused by Donald Trump,” Vice President Kamala Harris said in a statement on Wednesday. “While Arizona Democrats have worked to clean up the devastating mess created by Trump and his extremist allies, the state’s existing ban, with no exception for rape or incest, remains in effect.”

If the repeal bill is signed, a 2022 statute banning the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy would become Arizona’s prevailing abortion law. Still, there would likely be a period when nearly all abortions would be outlawed, because the repeal won’t take effect until 90 days after the end of the legislative session, likely in June or July.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

GOP war on abortion continues.