Abortion

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Abortion

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am 100% not apposed to Americans protesting what they perceive as injustices. I don’t like when they go to someone’s house and do it. That is a line they shouldn’t cross. It happens from both sides and adds an element of violence and fear. The justices trying to end abortion don’t think they are taking away rights. They probably think they are saving lives. Protestors should protest. They should protest in front of the Supreme Court. Protest, not break in and destroy things.

The country is split on this subject. The Republicans managed to stack the courts with Republicans and now they can rule the country how they see fit unless Americans decide differently and vote enough Dems in office to stop Republicans from stealing more Supreme Court spots in the future.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:08 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:09 pm
Just want to say that i am 100% opposed to this. Justices and all public figures should be entitled to feel safe in their own homes.

I am 100% not opposed to this. If you are an elected official or a person in authority and are actively looking to make life harder to live, removing rights from people, you should expect people to protest you. Protesting doesn't mean threatening their safety.
As long as no one goes rogue and actually commits threats to the safety of the Justices and their families, protests are fine. Thank goodness no one ever took it too far by doxxing, or showing up at their homes, their families schools or anywhere else associated with the family. Good thing no one actually passive aggressively made the suggestion that someone that was terminally ill, take the law into their own hands, target and assassinate the Justices.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The incentive for some loon to kill a SCOTUS Justice will be high if people continue to be angry. I really hope they stay safe.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

There is no Republican or Democrat protesting techniques when it comes to issues that come to a head. There will be people who protest in peace and there will be people who are angry enough to cause violence. We have seen it from both sides throughout our history.

The thing that set Jan 6th apart from any other protest was that it was instigated, inspired and led by the President of the United States built upon his lies.

This protest is over an age long issue that will never be resolved. Republicans stacked the courts and are making abortions illegal because they can. It doesn’t matter what any of the justices said during their conformation hearings. Of course they just lied or deflected when asked about overturning Roe vs Wade. Supreme Court Justices don’t need to be honorable and honest do they? Of course not.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SCOTUS is doing all of this in private. They issue more shadow docket opinions than open hearings. So there is no where to protest them. It isn't like they are showing up to work each day or living in the White House so you can show up and protest there. Standing in front of the Supreme Court building doesn't do anything to dissuade or persuade justices because they are not there anymore.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Relevant:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

There you go. It’s precedence that they set themselves. Some would call that Karma. I changed my mind. It is ok for protesters to go to Supreme Court justices houses if the Supreme Court thinks it’s ok for protestors to go to abortion clinic employees homes.

I still think a large protest in front of the Supreme Court is the same whether they are in the building or not. They aren’t there to threaten violence against the court. They are there to show the cameras the number of people willing to go to the Supreme Court and protest. It’s a statement. This many Americans are upset with your decision and are willing to do something about it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wait. I'm confused. I thought the point of repealing Roe was to let each state decide?? Huh.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Increased security for SCOTUS Justices.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:15 pm
There you go. It’s precedence that they set themselves. Some would call that Karma. I changed my mind. It is ok for protesters to go to Supreme Court justices houses if the Supreme Court thinks it’s ok for protestors to go to abortion clinic employees homes.

I still think a large protest in front of the Supreme Court is the same whether they are in the building or not. They aren’t there to threaten violence against the court. They are there to show the cameras the number of people willing to go to the Supreme Court and protest. It’s a statement. This many Americans are upset with your decision and are willing to do something about it.
I take that back. Just because the Supreme Court voted to allow protesting at homes doesn’t make it right to do so. People went after abortion clinic employees and more recently election officials causing some of them to have to move several times to escape being stalked. You should feel safe at home and your neighbors shouldn’t have to deal with a protest on their front yard.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:41 pm
Nodack wrote:

I take that back. Just because the Supreme Court voted to allow protesting at homes doesn’t make it right to do so. People went after abortion clinic employees and more recently election officials causing some of them to have to move several times to escape being stalked. You should feel safe at home and your neighbors shouldn’t have to deal with a protest on their front yard.
Nobody has to do that. They are using public space to protest, unless a neighbor has allowed them access to their yard.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:27 am
Nodack wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:41 pm
Nodack wrote:

Nobody has to do that. They are using public space to protest, unless a neighbor has allowed them access to their yard.
I did see an instance that the neighbors said that they were the ones that organized the protest outside the houses of the Justices.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Did you all see that the DOJ and FBI issued a warning that violence was being organized by the right-wing after the leak came out? Supposedly, they were going to attack abortion clinics. Have there been any reports of violence committed to the abortion clinics recently to confirm that?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I still don't like protesting at people's homes. If it's about what they do in their "job" for the government, I think you should protest at their workplace, like outside the Supreme Court building or whatever. But, I will say, I'm pleased that at least the protestors outside the Justices' homes seem to be behaving in a calm and civil way. Fox News coverage said they were "thugs" and a "mob" and so on, but I saw footage of them just standing there and calmly holding signs and/or chanting. It did not seem even close to violence to me.

I do find it hilarious that people who think January 6 was a peaceful protest (lmfffffffffao) now are also saying that these calm protests at Justices' houses are horrible violent mobs. Sure, sure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:31 am
Did you all see that the DOJ and FBI issued a warning that violence was being organized by the right-wing after the leak came out? Supposedly, they were going to attack abortion clinics. Have there been any reports of violence committed to the abortion clinics recently to confirm that?
Well of course. Anti-abortion folks have committed acts of violence against abortion-providing medical facilities for decades. There are many examples of it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:58 am
In2ition wrote:
Well of course. Anti-abortion folks have committed acts of violence against abortion-providing medical facilities for decades. There are many examples of it.
I think he means, have they done it this week yet.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:57 am
I still don't like protesting at people's homes. If it's about what they do in their "job" for the government, I think you should protest at their workplace, like outside the Supreme Court building or whatever. But, I will say, I'm pleased that at least the protestors outside the Justices' homes seem to be behaving in a calm and civil way. Fox News coverage said they were "thugs" and a "mob" and so on, but I saw footage of them just standing there and calmly holding signs and/or chanting. It did not seem even close to violence to me.

I do find it hilarious that people who think January 6 was a peaceful protest (lmfffffffffao) now are also saying that these calm protests at Justices' houses are horrible violent mobs. Sure, sure.
I get what you are saying, but it is protected speech (at least according to SCOTUS).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:05 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:58 am
In2ition wrote:
I think he means, have they done it this week yet.
Yes, the word "recently" was the key, but it seems it's subjective too. I meant since the leak came out. Sorry for confusing you, Mori.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Dems try to pass a law legalizing abortion at the federal level, but it fails to beat the filibuster in the Senate. All Rs plus Manchin vote No. Regular reminder that the filibuster is completely stupid.