Abortion

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Abortion

Post by In2ition »

I heard that a leak from the Supreme Court on decisions and drafts has literally never happened in the 230 years of the Supreme Court. I don't know if that is true or not, but it I can't remember it ever happening in my nearly 50 years.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I mean, the leak ain't great, but the leak isn't the real problem. The problem is a radical Court, with multiple justices appointed under questionable circumstances, making opinions that are not in line with the values of the vast majority of the American people without even hearing arguments in the relevant case.

Also it's interesting that the Roberts memo does confirm that the leaked document is authentic.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:57 am
I mean, the leak ain't great, but the leak isn't the real problem. The problem is a radical Court, with multiple justices appointed under questionable circumstances, making opinions that are not in line with the values of the vast majority of the American people without even hearing arguments in the relevant case.

Also it's interesting that the Roberts memo does confirm that the leaked document is authentic.
Lots of good jobs out here in Hong Kong. We'll see if the new Chief Executive here is good at anything except beating up protesters.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:

The leak is rather seismic in the proportion. This is the lead, not the ruling(which isn't even final, and they could easily change this to the other side after arguments are heard). They think it came from a clerk of Justice Sotomayor. This completely undermines the confidence and trust between the Justices and their staff, since these rulings aren't final, nor are they even close to anything of complete.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What in the fuck is going on? We're now going back in time? The chaos, the protesting that's going to follow this. Be prepared.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:06 am
Mori Chu wrote:

The leak is rather seismic in the proportion. This is the lead, not the ruling(which isn't even final, and they could easily change this to the other side after arguments are heard). They think it came from a clerk of Justice Sotomayor. This completely undermines the confidence and trust between the Justices and their staff, since these rulings aren't final, nor are they even close to anything of complete.

(tweet)
I think it's super irresponsible to post tweets about the name and identity of a possible leaker. A), it could be the wrong person, and B), it could be endangering his safety.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

And THANK FUCKING GOD he leaked it (or she, whoever they are). You are implying the leak is extremely concerning and problematic In2ition when the decision is literally setting back society and the rights of women decades.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The NYMag article linked in my previous tweet is pretty darn good.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/05 ... ually.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:48 pm
And THANK FUCKING GOD he leaked it (or she, whoever they are). You are implying the leak is extremely concerning and problematic In2ition when the decision is literally setting back society and the rights of women decades.
How dare somebody LEAK details about how our shitty partisan justices are being partisan shills? I notice that "leaks" are a problem only if they make Republicans look bad. But, say, hacking and "leaking" entire email servers worth of content is okey-dokey if it makes the evil Democrat look bad.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:58 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
How dare somebody LEAK details about how our shitty partisan justices are being partisan shills? I notice that "leaks" are a problem only if they make Republicans look bad. But, say, hacking and "leaking" entire email servers worth of content is okey-dokey if it makes the evil Democrat look bad.
I don't have a problem with making Republicans look bad, lol. Do you know who leaked the email server? I'm sure if they found out who it was, they would prosecute them, no? Are we not worried about the illegal shit that was happening on there? Or are we upset that this would go back to States rights issue in this case, that was ruled based on a lie to begin with?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:37 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I don't have a problem with making Republicans look bad, lol. Do you know who leaked the email server? I'm sure if they found out who it was, they would prosecute them, no? Are we not worried about the illegal shit that was happening on there? Or are we upset that this would go back to States rights issue in this case, that was ruled based on a lie to begin with?
We might as well just become 50 countries I guess. You can see how well legalizing marijuana worked out early on and until now with "up to the state" in place. People still violating federal law and that being upheld. Now they are moving to federally legalize. Are we the United or Divided States of America?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:44 pm
We might as well just become 50 countries I guess. You can see how well legalizing marijuana worked out early on and until now with "up to the state" in place. People still violating federal law and that being upheld. Now they are moving to federally legalize. Are we the United or Divided States of America?
The problem is that America isn't as simple as "red" states and "blue" states. In every deep red state there are bright blue cities, and in every true blue state there are large red swaths as well. Any system to try to split up red and blue will infuriate tons of people whose city or area doesn't happen to be the same as their state's color.

But, yeah, we're reaching the point where the kind of country, government, and policies that red folks want to have is fundamentally not at all the same as what blue folks want. And it's a problem.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:44 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:37 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Idk if legalizing marijuana is the best comparison. Is there a federal law banning abortion? BTW, I don't think there should be a federal law banning marijuana. I see that as a personal choice.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You are pro-smoking-marijuana-choice? But what about the rights of the joint? I think it becomes marijuana at the moment it is harvested, not the moment it is smoked. :-)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:25 pm
You are pro-smoking-marijuana-choice? But what about the rights of the joint? I think it becomes marijuana at the moment it is harvested, not the moment it is smoked. :-)
I've never smoked marijuana myself, but that doesn't mean that I think it should be illegal. I'm sure you thought the other point was hilarious.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mandatory related viewing from George Carlin.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Collins: Draft Roe decision ‘completely inconsistent’ with what Gorsuch, Kavanaugh said
https://thehill.com/news/3475255-collin ... h-told-me/
Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said on Tuesday that a leaked Supreme Court draft ruling was “completely inconsistent” with what Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch told her during their private conversations as Supreme Court nominees.

Well Susan, they were trying to become Supreme Court justices and they knew exactly what to say to you to put your mind to rest on abortion during their confirmation hearings. Now that they are confirmed for life they don’t have to pretend they will protect abortion rights anymore and can do exactly what Trump said he picked them to do and that is end abortion. They both lied right to your face Susan.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Susan Collins will be "shocked and prayed" but completely complicit. That's what she does.

I liked this article on SCOTUS.