Abortion

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Abortion

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans want to force you to have a baby, with no provision for taking time off if you have a job.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:51 am
Republicans want to force you to have a baby, with no provision for taking time off if you have a job.

Women should be at home in the kitchen.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This seems like a First Amendment violation.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kansas! Fuck yeah!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:35 pm
Kansas! Fuck yeah!

Nobody saw this coming and it speaks to the possibility of a better-than-expected Democratic showing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:47 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Kansas! Fuck yeah!

Nobody saw this coming and it speaks to the possibility of a better-than-expected Democratic showing.
I think I saw that 20% more people voted for that than for the candidates running. So a huge number of people came out JUST to vote on abortion and wouldn't have come out otherwise. It would be very helpful if similar props and referendums could get on the ballot for the mid-terms.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Trump endorsed Republicans seem to be winning their primaries in AZ. Lake up by two points and said she sensed some fraud.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

No, no, the results are only fraudulent if the MAGA candidate loses! If they win, the results were completely fair and square!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:20 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Kansas! Fuck yeah!

I think I saw that 20% more people voted for that than for the candidates running. So a huge number of people came out JUST to vote on abortion and wouldn't have come out otherwise. It would be very helpful if similar props and referendums could get on the ballot for the mid-terms.
If (and a big if) the Dems can get a campaign together in time, this could be a massive wedge issue. But from what I have been told, there just isn't enough time (or competence). Pelosi's foolhardy stunt may help, though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:52 am
No, no, the results are only fraudulent if the MAGA candidate loses! If they win, the results were completely fair and square!
Makes perfect logical sense.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:57 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:20 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Kansas! Fuck yeah!

If (and a big if) the Dems can get a campaign together in time, this could be a massive wedge issue. But from what I have been told, there just isn't enough time (or competence). Pelosi's foolhardy stunt may help, though.
She’s a pretty calculating woman who has always been a big critic of China. She had the blessings of Mitch McConnell, which somehow didn’t make it to FOX News. China promised fire and brimstone if Pelosi came. She came and now China is scrambling to come up with some sort of punishment for the US. They didn’t shoot her plane down or start WWIII. She called their bluff and they folded.

McConnell, 25 GOP senators back Pelosi Taiwan trip
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... iwan-trip/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They "back" her trip in the sense that they love how it makes the Dems look like they are in disarray. And they likely wouldn't mind if Pelosi were imprisoned or killed.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t think I agree with that statement. It would be much easier for them to say she was crazy and trying to cause WWIII than to support her decision.

“We support Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Taiwan,” the statement reads.

“For decades, members of the United States Congress, including previous Speakers of the House, have travelled to Taiwan,” it continues. “This travel is consistent with the United States’ One China policy to which we are committed. We are also committed now, more than ever, to all elements of the Taiwan Relations Act.”

There wasn’t even a hint of partisanship in that statement, which says a lot.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think Republicans got a serious wake up call with the Kansas vote. They went too far and now there is a serious backlash that could influence the next elections. Republicans have already started to recalibrate. Some have begun to soften their tone on their abortion stances because they care about being re-elected more than their convictions on abortion.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:02 am
I think Republicans got a serious wake up call with the Kansas vote. They went too far and now there is a serious backlash that could influence the next elections. Republicans have already started to recalibrate. Some have begun to soften their tone on their abortion stances because they care about being re-elected more than their convictions on abortion.
Actions speak louder than words, though. They may be "softening their tone" in terms of how they talk about the abortion issue, but they're still advancing all these statewide bans and restrictions. It's not totally clear to me whether Kansas is a huge wakeup call, though. The way the abortion ban was phrased in the Kansas law was kind of questionable and confusing. I think a reasonable person could have read the ballot measure and thought it was an abortion legalization law, and/or some kind of "government is going to take away my freedom" type of thing. So it may have confused some voters. Also they held the vote in the primary rather than in the general election in November; if they had put it on the November ballot, I think it would have passed since many more Republican voters would have turned out to vote.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Some Republicans who have stated that there should be no exceptions to abortion under any circumstances have changed their stance since the Kansas vote to add rape, incest and special medical circumstances in allowing abortion. Their stance will probably change a few dozen more times in the next couple of years depending on the direction of the wind.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I remain convinced that this Roe repeal is going to help the Dems in this fall's midterm elections. A supermajority of people don't want abortion banned in the US. I think it will especially matter in swing / rustbelt states the GOP desperately wants to win.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Now that we're past the primary season, look at how fast Republicans are pivoting to try to seem moderate on abortion so they won't get walloped this November.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This anti-abortion stuff, like the SCOTUS Dobbs decision, the rush of state laws banning all abortions, and now Graham's 15-week nationwide ban bill, it's going to backfire on the GOP extremists, isn't it? He says hopefully.