Abortion

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Cap

Re: Abortion

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am
Your party actively enacts these policies into law through bills and court decisions. It's not on the fringe if you actually get it made into law in many parts of the country.
Prohibiting birth control?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:37 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Your party actively enacts these policies into law through bills and court decisions. It's not on the fringe if you actually get it made into law in many parts of the country.
I still think this is silly. The people that are doing it, are nefariously trying to do it, so that they sabotage the party itself, imo. It's not going to pass that birth control gets taken away.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:40 am
Cap wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
I still think this is silly. The people that are doing it, are nefariously trying to do it, so that they sabotage the party itself, imo. It's not going to pass that birth control gets taken away.
I don’t think it’s an attempt to sabotage the party. A lot of Republicans have found extremism to be a path to success. She’s most likely doing it because she thinks it will lead to personal success, or because she’s a true believer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 am
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
I don’t think it’s an attempt to sabotage the party. A lot of Republicans have found extremism to be a path to success. She’s most likely doing it because she thinks it will lead to personal success, or because she’s a true believer.
Recap me on(no pun intended) who "she" is? Birth control, like taking the pill is a whole lot different than abortion.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:01 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 am
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Recap me on(no pun intended) who "she" is? Birth control, like taking the pill is a whole lot different than abortion.
“She” is

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Even she seems to say that it wouldn't come to a vote on the floor.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Yes, I agree that this is not mainstream Republican policy. (Yet?)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Contraception moves into the political spotlight
By SOPHIE GARDNER 03/15/2024
https://www.politico.com/newsletters/wo ... t-00147295
“The very socially conservative, religious right within the party tends to be a louder portion of the party, and they certainly are directing a lot of the agenda right now,” says Ariel Hill-Davis, co-founder and director of policy at Republican Women for Progress. “And the natural next step — that they’ve been saying they’re going to target — is contraception.”

SINGH: Take Project 2025 seriously
https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2024/03/ ... seriously/
“Conservatives have to lead the way in restoring sex to its true purpose, & for…ending recreational sex & senseless use of birth control pills.” That is a direct quote from the Heritage Foundation’s X account on May 27, 2023. Personally, I would not want these people anywhere near government. As it happens, I like recreational sex. If you don’t, that’s just fine; don’t have any.

Project 2025: The Right’s Dystopian Plan to Dismantle Civil Rights and What It Means for Women
https://msmagazine.com/2024/02/08/proje ... rump-woke/
Wealthy right-wing think tank The Heritage Foundation has published a detailed plan for the next Republican president to use the executive branch of the federal government to attack the rights of women, LGBTQ people and the BIPOC community, by eliminating the agencies and offices responsible for enforcing civil rights laws and placing trained right-wing ideologues in staff positions throughout the federal government.

To develop this plan, the Heritage Foundation organized a broad coalition of over 90 conservative organizations—a who’s-who of groups that have led attacks on reproductive rights and bodily autonomy, gender studies, the Equal Rights Amendment and #MeToo initiatives.

A GOP Talking Point Suggests Birth Control Is Not at Risk. Evidence Suggests Otherwise.
https://kffhealthnews.org/news/article/ ... lse-claim/
“In no way, shape, or form is access to contraception limited or at risk of being limited.”

It is true that, so far, no state has banned forms of contraception. But the threat appears very real. And the absolute nature of Cammack’s statement — saying there’s “no way, shape, or form” that access to contraception is at risk — is not accurate. We rate the statement

False.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Contraception is not at risk, because as soon as it is, those who pushed it will be thrown out of office in their primaries and most Reps will agree with Dems on that particular issue.

Project 2025 is to get rid of the unelected partisan workers that will obstruct the administration. Biden doesn't need to do this, but he does at every moment that someone gets in the way or could get in the way. He's lucky that 99% of the people are partisan to his party and don't need to obstruct him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Project 2025 aims, among other things, to fire a bunch of genuinely nonpartisan people and replace them with Republican / MAGA partisans.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:44 pm
Project 2025 aims, among other things, to fire a bunch of genuinely nonpartisan people and replace them with Republican / MAGA partisans.
The plan isn't to get rid of the "genuinely nonpartisan people", but to get rid of the ones that think their job is fight for the left from the inside. And, since most of the people are exactly that, purely partisan, there is no reason for Biden to look to get rid of them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

4/17/2023
Arizona House Republicans again block repeal of 1864 abortion ban
https://www.axios.com/2024/04/17/arizon ... ban-repeal

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.project2025.org/
The most comprehensive policy agenda will have only limited impact without the right people in place to implement it. The project will cast a net across the country to identify conservatives from all walks of life to serve in the next conservative Administration.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack's quote is straight from the Project 2025 web site. They explicitly state that their goal is to put conservative partisans into supposedly non-partisan governmental roles.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Unfortunately, they aren't as nonpartisan as they seem. Lots of activists in nonpartisan positions.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

One of Trump's top VP candidates, Kristi Noem, says she doesn't support abortion, not even in cases of rape or incest. But I was told this was not the mainstream GOP position???

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:12 am
One of Trump's top VP candidates, Kristi Noem, says she doesn't support abortion, not even in cases of rape or incest. But I was told this was not the mainstream GOP position???

And I can put forth many prominent Dems that believe abortion up to birth an further should be allowed as "women's health". You feel like this is the mainstream position of the Dems?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:03 pm
And I can put forth many prominent Dems that believe abortion up to birth an further should be allowed as "women's health". You feel like this is the mainstream position of the Dems?
Okay. Please do that, then. Please show me interviews or quotes where "many prominent Dems" express support for that.

Cap

Post by Cap »

“an further”? Post-birth abortion?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:17 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:03 pm
Okay. Please do that, then. Please show me interviews or quotes where "many prominent Dems" express support for that.
Here is former Gov. Northam.

If you want to attempt to paint all Reps in one light, let's look at these polls.

Why can't so many Democrats answer where their line is at in terms of abortion? What's your red line on abortions, Mori?

Here is another Dem that can't say they support a limit.

Another example of Dems wanting no limits on abortion.

Heck, we already know the legislature that the Dems in AZ are pushing has no limits on abortion.
No limits abortion bill again.

Democrats Sponsor Bill for Abortions Up to Birth That Eliminates Every Pro-Life Law Nationwide
National

Mat Staver
Apr 22, 2024 2:59PM
Washington, DC
https://www.lifenews.com/2024/04/22/dem ... ationwide/
When the Dobbs ruling overturned Roe v. Wade, we knew the abortion industry would not go away quietly without a fight. As you know, after our amicus brief was cited by the U.S. Supreme Court in overturning Roe, Liberty Counsel has been fighting the abortion industry’s attempts to make killing an unborn child a “right” in state constitutions across the country.

Beyond barbaric …

Now, the abortion industry is going for a bigger prize — federal legislation to force every state to wipe away all abortion restrictions. The bill even goes so far as to overturn the federal ban on gruesome partial birth abortion, which murders a viable, full-term baby before its head leaves the mother’s womb.

Late-term abortion murders viable babies who could, if given the chance, live outside their mother’s womb. In a typical procedure, everything except for the baby’s head is outside the mother’s body. Then, just before the child’s head comes out, the abortionist drives a spike through the child’s skull, literally scrambling the baby’s brain to kill the child.

Instead of a spike to the brain, some abortionists, like the demonic Kermit Gosnell, use heavy duty scissors to sever the child’s spinal cord once the legs, torso, and neck, but not head, are outside the birth canal.

Eric Adams blasts pro-life 'radical extremists,' says women have 'right' to abortions up until day of birth
Adams attended a pro-abortion rally in New York City on Saturday

By Andrew Mark Miller , Teny Sahakian Fox News
Published May 14, 2022 8:40pm EDT
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/eric-a ... -day-birth
New York City Mayor Eric Adams slammed the pro-life movement as "radical" on Saturday and pledged that he would "fight" to ensure there are "no" limitations on abortion.

"Abortion is health care. It’s that simple. And New York City won’t let a group of radical extremists take away health care or any human right without a fight," Adams tweeted Saturday using the hashtag "BansOffOurBodies."

Adams attended a pro-choice protest in New York City on Saturday and said that he doesn't believe there should be any limitations on abortion.

My guess is that you aren't going to answer my question and then are going to pick and choose which article or post that you want to attack or attack the source, but ignore the substance.