Abortion

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Abortion

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:37 pm
Collins: Draft Roe decision ‘completely inconsistent’ with what Gorsuch, Kavanaugh said
https://thehill.com/news/3475255-collin ... h-told-me/
Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said on Tuesday that a leaked Supreme Court draft ruling was “completely inconsistent” with what Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch told her during their private conversations as Supreme Court nominees.

Well Susan, they were trying to become Supreme Court justices and they knew exactly what to say to you to put your mind to rest on abortion during their confirmation hearings. Now that they are confirmed for life they don’t have to pretend they will protect abortion rights anymore and can do exactly what Trump said he picked them to do and that is end abortion. They both lied right to your face Susan.
I am a little suspicious that they spoke to her about how they would rule in any particular case, as they are very guarded on these matters(as has been the case historically). Could it have happened and they lied to her? I suppose it's possible. Could Susan Collins be lying? Well, she is a politician.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They were all asked about it in detail during their Supreme Court confirmation hearings. They all said it was settled law and precedent that has been strengthened by subsequent rulings. Gorsuch said he'd "walk out the door" if anybody suggested overturning Roe.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The only reason Trump picked them was to overturn Roe versus Wade. Trump made that quite clear. During the conformation hearings they tried real hard to avoid stating a position on abortion but, all of them stated that Roe versus Wade was a set precedence upheld by the courts for fifty years.

They and Trump knew they would vote to overturn Roe versus Wade. They had to BS their way through the confirmation hearings and assure nervous lawmakers that they wouldn’t be messing with Roe versus Wade if confirmed but, that was bs too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Trump doesn't care about RvW. He just cares about what the Federalist Society says because that got him elected. And he was extremely transparent in saying he wasn't picking judges, they were.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If that's what Gorsuch said, than it is hilarious in today light. It's not hilarious that the Justices would lie, there is nothing honorable about that. Just the thought that he would make a stand like that and get up in a huff and storm out of the room. It seems to be clear that the Supreme Court is compromised by leakers and Justices that aren't honorable.

I don't think the Federalist Society got him elected, but they are the ones that offer up the suggestions of judges that he used to make appointments.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:44 am
Trump doesn't care about RvW. He just cares about what the Federalist Society says because that got him elected. And he was extremely transparent in saying he wasn't picking judges, they were.
I agree. Trump only cares about Trump. If someone offered him a deal to put his name on windmills that generate electricity for a fee he would all of the sudden be pro windmills.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:02 am
Indy wrote:
I agree. Trump only cares about Trump. If someone offered him a deal to put his name on windmills that generate electricity for a fee he would all of the sudden be pro windmills.
Lol, as if any one of us would turn that down. Funny though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They aren't going to stop at Roe / abortion. They'll come for things like gay marriage next.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I honestly think this is the clearest sign that the Democrats are doomed. Any laws they try to pass that are liberal will just be challenged in court and overturned by the partisan GOP Supreme Court. And if the Dems can't actually make change, voters won't turn out for them.

I think the GOP has won. It's going to be their country for a generation or more.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:43 am
I honestly think this is the clearest sign that the Democrats are doomed. Any laws they try to pass that are liberal will just be challenged in court and overturned by the partisan GOP Supreme Court. And if the Dems can't actually make change, voters won't turn out for them.

I think the GOP has won. It's going to be their country for a generation or more.
That happened already after SCOTUS gave the presidency to Bush.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:14 am
Nodack wrote:
Indy wrote:
If you publicly say you are against something hundreds of times, you don't change your mind because someone gives you money. That just means you have no moral compass.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's a nice supercut of all the Justices basically lying about Roe. I understand that they carefully phrased their answers to give wiggle room, but it's clear that what they did say was BS and that they have wanted to overturn this for a long time.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Indy wrote:
If you publicly say you are against something hundreds of times, you don't change your mind because someone gives you money. That just means you have no moral compass.
Or are easily bought. Good thing I never said I was against windmills.

About 35 yrs ago, my dad worked for a company that made and sold what are now modern windmills in Garden City, KS.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Birds fly into those things, you monster!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:17 am
Here's a nice supercut of all the Justices basically lying about Roe. I understand that they carefully phrased their answers to give wiggle room, but it's clear that what they did say was BS and that they have wanted to overturn this for a long time.

They've been plotting for years and years, just waiting until Trump was gone for their chance to overturn it? Or they just want to see the world burn.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:28 pm
Birds fly into those things, you monster!
Birds aren't real. ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Okay, I have to admit, that was a good retort and it made me chuckle.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:26 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Indy wrote:

About 35 yrs ago, my dad worked for a company that made and sold what are now modern windmills in Garden City, KS.
How are those different?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:26 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

How are those different?
Can't you be for or against windmills and it not be a moral issue?