Russia/Ukraine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Russia/Ukraine

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:31 pm
I saw this and thought I would share, but I haven't verified any of it or checked with the state fact checkers on this, so I don't know how much truth there is on this. Seems farfetched, since we've been talking about the country of Ukraine since the USSR disbanded.

The Secretary-General of the United Nations has stated that Ukraine has not applied for border registration since 1991, so the state of Ukraine does not exist....
And we don't know about it!!!
04/07/2014 UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon made a stunning statement, the distribution of which in Ukrainian media and the Internet is banned. The conflict between the two countries was discussed at the session of the UN Security Council. From this, the following conclusion was drawn:
Ukraine has not registered its borders since 12/25/1991. The UN has not registered the borders of Ukraine as a sovereign state.
Therefore, it can be assumed that Russia is not committing any rights violations in relation to Ukraine.
According to the CIS Treaty, the territory of Ukraine is an administrative district of the
USSR. Therefore, no one can be blamed for separatism and forcibly changing the borders of Ukraine.
Under international law, the country simply has no officially recognized borders.
In order to solve this problem, Ukraine needs to complete the demarcation of borders with neighboring countries and obtain the agreement of neighboring countries, including Russia, on their common border. It is required to document everything and sign treaties with all neighboring states.
The European Union has pledged its support to Ukraine on this important issue and has decided to provide all technical assistance.
But will Russia sign a border treaty with Ukraine? No of course not
Since Russia is the legal successor of the USSR (this is confirmed by the decisions of international courts on property disputes between the former USSR and foreign countries), the lands on which Ukraine, Belarus and Novorossiya are located belong to Russia, and nobody has the right to be without them Russia's consent to dispose of this area.
Basically, now all Russia has to do is declare that this area is Russian and that everything that happens in this area is an internal matter of Russia.
Any interference will be seen as a measure against Russia. On this basis, they can annul the elections of May 25, 2014 and do what the people want!
According to the Budapest Memorandum and other agreements, Ukraine has no borders. The state of Ukraine does not exist (and has never existed!).
Alexander Panin
So why share it then? I have a great idea. When you feel this way about something you are about to post, don't share it. Pretty simple. You're the kind of guy that floods his own Facebook with misinformation and garbage without doing any fact checking. Dad, is that you? I didn't know you were on .net. (I love my dad, by the way. Bless his heart. He's a great guy just like you likely are. But come on...)
Yeah, I didn't think I should share it, but I was curious what everyone's thoughts on it were, if hypothetically it was true.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:31 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:58 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am
Many would argue that most Dems nowadays are Communist, but Russia isn't anymore. Just saying that's what many could argue. I'm not there yet, but seeing the fascist and totalitarian sympathies here on this forum, it's not surprising. I'll just say, that if Trump was doing the things that Trudeau is doing right now, there would be very very different attitude going on here.
Why don't you just stop making stupid general labels about a political affiliation? What you just said is beyond absurd. Democrats are communist? This is the problem with political parties. Folks stake their claim to one party or the other and throw out stupid ass labels towards the other party.
com·mu·nism
/ˈkämyəˌnizəm/

noun
a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs.
I personally don't know a single person (and unfortunately, according to my wife, I know WAY too many people), Democrat, Republican or Independent, that has ever argued that all property should be publicly owned and that we should all be paid according to our abilities and needs. We should all get paid based on our experience, skills and ability to negotiate our salary. Just because my budget says that I need to make $3,000 a month to support my family's needs doesn't mean I'm going to negotiate a salary of $36,000.

It would do you a lot of good to look up the actual definition of the labels you throw around about people. And who the hell is many anyway? "Many would argue, but not me (yet)". You always do that. You share a nonsense Tweet or post to rile up everyone and then you quickly back pedal saying "I didn't fact check or read the article". So stop posting garbage to create a stink. It's not that hard.

While you're at it, go look up the definition of fascism and totalitarianism.
Fascism - a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.
Yeah. That sure sounds like the folks on this forum alright!
to·tal·i·tar·i·an
/tōˌtaləˈterēən/

adjective
relating to a system of government that is centralized and dictatorial and requires complete subservience to the state.
You nailed it. I think we're all advocating for and in favor of a dictator along with obeying others unquestioningly. Folks like you and many others LOVE rehashing labels but never take the time to really understand what those words mean. You're a smart guy, even if you like to hide the fact with the dyslexia excuse (which doesn't jive considering your sometimes lengthy and quick responses without errors). Be better. I don't take you seriously most of the time when you start making outlandish posts like the above or sharing utter garbage off Twitter without doing your due diligence.
You're right, I am not helping matters here and shouldn't throw around labels like that. You're really coming here singling me out though? So that's fun. I'll do better not to continue down that path, but I'm not going to hold my breath until you single out others and admonish them over the same thing. BTW, I didn't actually call anyone these names and I try to not call anyone names here. I definitely hit a nerve with you, so for your sake, I won't even say that other people claim this.

There are degrees of dyslexia, and I work hard all the time to cover for them, so kindly...
I also have argued against others that aren't willing to listen to other views and objectives simply because of the source (Joe Rogan, etc.). I'm trying my best to take an equal approach to things. My response was directed at you because it was nonsense that you were stating. To be fair, I don't go through all the conversation in Politics because everyone loves to throw out labels and share Tweet or headlines without any meaningful insight directly from the poster. That doesn't just apply to you. Critical thinking is a lost art and I'd love to see it make a comeback.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:38 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:31 pm
I saw this and thought I would share, but I haven't verified any of it or checked with the state fact checkers on this, so I don't know how much truth there is on this. Seems farfetched, since we've been talking about the country of Ukraine since the USSR disbanded.

The Secretary-General of the United Nations has stated that Ukraine has not applied for border registration since 1991, so the state of Ukraine does not exist....
And we don't know about it!!!
04/07/2014 UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon made a stunning statement, the distribution of which in Ukrainian media and the Internet is banned. The conflict between the two countries was discussed at the session of the UN Security Council. From this, the following conclusion was drawn:
Ukraine has not registered its borders since 12/25/1991. The UN has not registered the borders of Ukraine as a sovereign state.
Therefore, it can be assumed that Russia is not committing any rights violations in relation to Ukraine.
According to the CIS Treaty, the territory of Ukraine is an administrative district of the
USSR. Therefore, no one can be blamed for separatism and forcibly changing the borders of Ukraine.
Under international law, the country simply has no officially recognized borders.
In order to solve this problem, Ukraine needs to complete the demarcation of borders with neighboring countries and obtain the agreement of neighboring countries, including Russia, on their common border. It is required to document everything and sign treaties with all neighboring states.
The European Union has pledged its support to Ukraine on this important issue and has decided to provide all technical assistance.
But will Russia sign a border treaty with Ukraine? No of course not
Since Russia is the legal successor of the USSR (this is confirmed by the decisions of international courts on property disputes between the former USSR and foreign countries), the lands on which Ukraine, Belarus and Novorossiya are located belong to Russia, and nobody has the right to be without them Russia's consent to dispose of this area.
Basically, now all Russia has to do is declare that this area is Russian and that everything that happens in this area is an internal matter of Russia.
Any interference will be seen as a measure against Russia. On this basis, they can annul the elections of May 25, 2014 and do what the people want!
According to the Budapest Memorandum and other agreements, Ukraine has no borders. The state of Ukraine does not exist (and has never existed!).
Alexander Panin
So why share it then? I have a great idea. When you feel this way about something you are about to post, don't share it. Pretty simple. You're the kind of guy that floods his own Facebook with misinformation and garbage without doing any fact checking. Dad, is that you? I didn't know you were on .net. (I love my dad, by the way. Bless his heart. He's a great guy just like you likely are. But come on...)
Yeah, I didn't think I should share it, but I was curious what everyone's thoughts on it were, if hypothetically it was true.
If you want to share something that has facts backing up the claim, I'm all ears. I don't want to dive into hypotheticals because my thoughts on those aren't grounded in reality, in many cases. It's the same reason I avoid the threads and conversations around fantasy trades and other nonsense. It's a waste of time.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Now you are just spewing russian propaganda?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:45 pm
Now you are just spewing russian propaganda?
Sheesh, lay off AIG. ;)
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2, that post you shared was ridiculous. I really think you should exercise better sense about passing along ridiculous stuff like this without making any effort to figure out whether it is plausible.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Perhaps. Note taken.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump is an authoritarian, full stop. Here he is specifically praising Putin for "taking over a country." Not "peacekeeping" or any such BS. For taking over a country. This is as un-American as you can get.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump calls Putin 'genius' and 'savvy' for Ukraine invasion
The former president's praise for Putin comes at a perilous geopolitical moment in Europe.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/2 ... n-00010923

Trump Insists Vladimir Putin Is 'Genius' After President Biden Says Russia Began Ukraine Invasion
"As a matter of policy, we try not to take advice from anyone who praises President Putin and his military strategy," the White House said in response
https://people.com/politics/donald-trum ... ne-crisis/

It's time to admit the obvious: Donald Trump sure is acting like a Russian agent
Trump's remarks praising Putin's military aggression against Ukraine should be the last straw for anyone inexplicably holding out hope he's not driven in part by Russian interests.
https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reido ... -rcna17328

Trump praises Putin as 'savvy' amid new escalations on Russia-Ukraine border
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/22/10824787 ... ine-border

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Russian attacks on Ukraine, unprovoked, continue

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Steve Bannon is a Russia/Putin fan because they aren't woke and don't tolerate LGBTQ people.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Statement by President Biden on Russia’s Unprovoked and Unjustified Attack on Ukraine
FEBRUARY 23, 2022

The prayers of the entire world are with the people of Ukraine tonight as they suffer an unprovoked and unjustified attack by Russian military forces. President Putin has chosen a premeditated war that will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering. Russia alone is responsible for the death and destruction this attack will bring, and the United States and its Allies and partners will respond in a united and decisive way. The world will hold Russia accountable.

I will be monitoring the situation from the White House this evening and will continue to get regular updates from my national security team. Tomorrow, I will meet with my G7 counterparts in the morning and then speak to the American people to announce the further consequences the United States and our Allies and partners will impose on Russia for this needless act of aggression against Ukraine and global peace and security. We will also coordinate with our NATO Allies to ensure a strong, united response that deters any aggression against the Alliance. Tonight, Jill and I are praying for the brave and proud people of Ukraine.

###
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:58 pm
Steve Bannon is a Russia/Putin fan because they aren't woke and don't tolerate LGBTQ people.
When people say they're a fascist, it's OK to believe them.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

This is one part of a plan popularized in Russia since Dugin wrote The Foundation of Geopolitics in 1997. This book has influence within the Russian military, police and foreign policy elites and has been used as a textbook in the Academy of the General Staff of the Russian military

Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics".

Also includes:

The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe.

Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics".

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Putin just issued a warning: “Anyone who tries to interfere with us, or even more so, to create threats for our country and our people, must know that Russia’s response will be immediate and will lead you to such consequences as you have never before experienced in your history.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

On Fox, Trump blames Biden's "weakness" for Putin's attacks.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ya, Biden is a weak war monger!

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

And it depends on what it does,' Biden continued. 'It's one thing if it's a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do, et cetera.'

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

"President Obama was wrong about that and the way he actually dealt with Russia was entirely, you know, I think weak and probably has caused problems that we see right now in terms of encouraging Russia to act in this aggressive manner," Gallego said.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"It's YOUR fault I hit you, honey. It's because you were weak."