Russia/Ukraine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Russia/Ukraine

Post by Nodack »

I lost a brother to suicide. You only get one life. It’s a gift. Don’t waste it. Ask for help.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Russia seems to have fired missiles at a shopping mall full of innocent Ukranians. :-/

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:59 pm
I lost a brother to suicide. You only get one life. It’s a gift. Don’t waste it. Ask for help.
Have you never received a gift that you didn’t want and didn’t do you or anyone else any good?

Lucky you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:45 pm
Nodack wrote:
Have you never received a gift that you didn’t want and didn’t do you or anyone else any good?

Lucky you.
I think Dack was just trying to say that if you feel your life isn't worth living, you should talk to someone and see a professional. It likely means an illness because the primary purpose of your brain is to keep you alive. So if it is telling you not to do that, it is important to look for the reasons it keeps telling you that.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:14 pm
Cap wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Lucky you.
I think Dack was just trying to say that if you feel your life isn't worth living, you should talk to someone and see a professional. It likely means an illness because the primary purpose of your brain is to keep you alive. So if it is telling you not to do that, it is important to look for the reasons it keeps telling you that.
My existence is utterly devoid of joy, purpose, or hope. What more reasons do I need?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s still a gift. There are almost 8,000,000,000 people on the planet and none of them asked to be here. We are programmed to like sex and that causes babies to be born. One day there you are, a baby. Every baby goes on it’s own journey. Some die at birth. Some last to 100+. We each have to find our way and try to make sense of the whole life thing. Each person’s situation and journey is different.

Sometimes things in our life go south. We break up. We get fired. We go bankrupt. We get sick. People we know die. We get old and deteriorate.

Sometimes things in our lives go north. We find new love. We get a new job. We prosper. We get well. We’re still here.

Everyone here is your friend cap. That’s reason enough to stick around.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:34 pm
Sometimes things in our lives go north. We find new love. We get a new job. We prosper. We get well.
Maybe in your life. Maybe in most peoples’ lives. Not mine.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:21 pm
My existence is utterly devoid of joy, purpose, or hope. What more reasons do I need?
Then you know what you need to work on. Nothing in this life is given to us. We have to work at it. The journey is what should give you joy. If you're not doing things you enjoy, then stop doing them and do something else. Join some groups that do hobbies that you enjoy.

I'm currently on a health kick. I've been overweight for a long, long time now. I had a heart attack a year ago. I'm determined to get into great shape. I'm down 31 pounds from my all-time high and working on another 17 pounds to get to my ideal weight. I'm also gaining muscle. I'm starting my eighth straight week of not missing a workout. Six days a week. 3 days of weight training interspersed with 3 days of cardio. I've changed my diet.

What about family? I know you lost your dad. I did too. Do you still have your mom? Siblings? Cousins?

Do you work? Do you like your job? If not, have you thought about doing something else?

At the very least you should be talking to a psychiatrist.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:14 pm
Cap wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Lucky you.
But you decide what is joyous. Or to be hopeful, and what you want your purpose to be. This is not the best way to put it, but if you have none of those things, that isn't "normal" behavior for your brain. If you are not talking to anyone about this, you really should. If it is an insurance/coverage situation, there probably isn't anything you are spending money on that is more important right now. And if you are really in a bind, PM me.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And based on a lot of real-life experience I have had with me and/or close people in my family feeling similarly, I would recommend you find a therapist before finding a psychiatrist.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:17 pm
And based on a lot of real-life experience I have had with me and/or close people in my family feeling similarly, I would recommend you find a therapist before finding a psychiatrist.
I admittedly have hardly any experience in this area but I'm curious why and what's the difference? Also, what would be the best way for Cap to find a good therapist?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Psychiatrists (like all mental health professionals) are in extreme demand. From my experience, the psychiatrist do a lot more of managing medications than actual therapy. Therapists can be people with all types of education. And they are in high demand, too, but usually spend all their time doing therapy. And they can recommend a psychiatrist to help with any types of meds you should be trying.

The best way I know of to find a therapist is to start with your insurance company's portal. Because of the high demand, you may find that none of the ones covered by your insurance are seeing new patients (or even have appointment times for current patients). So you may need to go to https://www.psychologytoday.com/us to find therapist in your area that are accepting new patients, even if they aren't covered by insurance. Many will bill you in a way that helps you file claims with your insurance, and I have found that you can get them to reimburse you (although it does usually take a couple calls and using the right billing codes).

If you need help with any of that Cap, let me know.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 pm
Cap wrote:
Then you know what you need to work on. Nothing in this life is given to us. We have to work at it. The journey is what should give you joy. If you're not doing things you enjoy, then stop doing them and do something else. Join some groups that do hobbies that you enjoy.

I'm currently on a health kick. I've been overweight for a long, long time now. I had a heart attack a year ago. I'm determined to get into great shape. I'm down 31 pounds from my all-time high and working on another 17 pounds to get to my ideal weight. I'm also gaining muscle. I'm starting my eighth straight week of not missing a workout. Six days a week. 3 days of weight training interspersed with 3 days of cardio. I've changed my diet.

What about family? I know you lost your dad. I did too. Do you still have your mom? Siblings? Cousins?

Do you work? Do you like your job? If not, have you thought about doing something else?

I hear you. After my open heart surgery I went on an exercise and practice kick. It kind of wakes you up to appreciating life more when it’s almost taken away from you. Playing music for people and giving them joy gives me joy. That’s always been my calling since I was in the crib with a pair of paper towel drum sticks. It pays crappy, but I wouldn’t trade my job for anything. Everyone has something they are into. If you love it you will get good at it if you work at it. It’s not the destination, it’s the journey that matters.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

I hear you. After my open heart surgery I went on an exercise and practice kick. It kind of wakes you up to appreciating life more when it’s almost taken away from you. Playing music for people and giving them joy gives me joy. That’s always been my calling since I was in the crib with a pair of paper towel drum sticks. It pays crappy, but I wouldn’t trade my job for anything. Everyone has something they are into. If you love it you will get good at it if you work at it. It’s not the destination, it’s the journey that matters.
I might be joining you, man! I'm looking into if I can pull off retirement soon. When I do, I'm going to start practicing every day until I'm good enough again to join a band. I'll be moving to AZ too to be able to spend more time with family.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:15 pm
Nodack wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

I might be joining you, man! I'm looking into if I can pull off retirement soon. When I do, I'm going to start practicing every day until I'm good enough again to join a band. I'll be moving to AZ too to be able to spend more time with family.
Awww, it is nice to know you think of us that way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:25 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:15 pm
Nodack wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

Awww, it is nice to know you think of us that way.
Prepare the guest bedroom!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Maybe get you on a few gigs with me.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If the GOP wins control of the House in 2022, they explicitly intend to halt our aid to Ukraine.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Kremlin wants people to call Putin ‘Our Ruler’ instead of president
https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/11/russia-k ... -16976400/

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:13 pm
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
Hang in there. I haven't been in AZ for a long time now, and am unlikely to return this year, but hope that we can grab a drink at Zipps sooner rather than later.