Russia/Ukraine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Russia/Ukraine

Post by In2ition »

I thought he had already done this.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Not clicking a disclose.tv link, so can't help ya.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Georgia’s president calls Rand Paul ‘Russian line’ on NATO, Ukraine ‘quite laughable’
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... laughable/
Georgian President Salome Zourabichvili on Thursday called statements from Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) criticizing NATO’s expansion as provoking Russian President Vladimir Putin “laughable” and said the senator was repeating Russian propaganda.

“That’s the usual Russian line,” Zourabichvili said in an interview with The Hill on Capitol Hill, where she is meeting with lawmakers.
“Anything that touches to reinforce the security of its neighbors, it’s something that is a provocation and a threat for Russia, and it’s quite laughable.”
Paul, in a hearing with Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday, sought to criticize U.S. support for Ukraine’s aspirations to join NATO as crossing a red line set by Putin — a notion rejected by Blinken, who said it undermines sovereign nations’ right to decide their own foreign policy.

Blinken rejected Paul’s proposition, saying “it is the fundamental right of these countries to decide their own future and their own destiny.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:13 am
Not clicking a disclose.tv link, so can't help ya.
Here is a longer version. Just talking about seizing Russian Oligarchs' assets, which I thought they already did.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

LONDON — As Russia’s invasion of Ukraine hits its 64th day, a former NATO commander urged the West to prepare for a “worst case” scenario: war with Russia.
https://news.yahoo.com/russia-ukraine-w ... 33397.html

Indy

Post by Indy »

From what I read before, they froze some assets and seized some from specific individuals. It sounds like this is a bigger swath and allows it to be sold and the money used against them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:17 am
From what I read before, they froze some assets and seized some from specific individuals. It sounds like this is a bigger swath and allows it to be sold and the money used against them.
Thanks, Indy. I was curious how they decided who was good and who was bad, but it's now a much bigger net.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This is a big win for the Military Industrial Complex. More on that later.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Raytheon Will Not Resume Mass Production of Stinger Missiles Until 2023
STAFF WRITER WITH AFP APRIL 26, 2022
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/04/ ... -missiles/

Raytheon Technologies will not be able to accelerate the production of Stinger anti-aircraft missiles before 2023 due to a lack of available parts, the defense company’s chief warned on Tuesday.

Western countries have been sending Ukraine thousands of the surface-to-air missiles and their shoulder-mounted launchers, which are effective against helicopters and low-flying planes. Washington has promised 1,400.

But stocks have dwindled and replenishing them will take time.

Raytheon had stopped manufacturing the missile prior to a $340 million order placed last summer by the Pentagon on behalf of an international client.

The defense contractor is in the process of restarting the production line, “But we have a very limited stock of material for Stinger production,” CEO Greg Hayes said during a call with analysts.

The manufacturer has been working with the US Defense Department on the issue but “unfortunately, DoD hasn’t bought a Stinger in about 18 years, and some of the components are no longer commercially available,” he said.

As a result, Raytheon will have to redesign some of the electronics.
Spoiler: show/hide

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Defending Ukraine without getting into a hot war seems like a pretty good investment to me.

Indy

Post by Indy »

That would mean about $45 per American citizen. Seems like a good investment

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

And if it pushes a hot war, that's good too? Especially with not being able to replenish the stock piles of weapons for the US?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see any evidence that letting Ukraine fall to Russia is better than modestly investing in protecting an ally nation from an enemy trying to attack and invade it. We don't have any shortage of weapons; our "stockpiles" are just fine. We are sitting on by far the largest military in the history of human civilization.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's amazing to me how Republicans without fail manage to be on the "evil" side of almost every issue.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You misspelled Democrats.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:51 am
The GOP actively supports making it harder for people to live in this country. And I don't mean "have a good life" I actually mean remain alive. They fight medical care. They fight education. They fight studying leading causes of death. They fight the existence of LGBTQ people. They fight voting rights (which leads to all of these previous issues).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:03 am
In2ition wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:51 am
The GOP actively supports making it harder for people to live in this country. And I don't mean "have a good life" I actually mean remain alive. They fight medical care. They fight education. They fight studying leading causes of death. They fight the existence of LGBTQ people. They fight voting rights (which leads to all of these previous issues).
Did you actually sit down and think of this nonsense before you typed it out? The establishment GOP is full of really awful people for sure, but you are parroting talking points, wild conspiracy theories, and hyperbole.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think Indy said anything exaggerated or untrue. The GOP is little more than a white Christian authoritarian cult at this point. They are actively trying to attack American democracy and fight ardently to reduce the rights and privileges of those in other groups.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:14 am
I don't think Indy said anything exaggerated or untrue. The GOP is little more than a white Christian authoritarian cult at this point. They are actively trying to attack American democracy and fight ardently to reduce the rights and privileges of those in other groups.
I can't say I'm surprised by your response. You have little glimpses of sanity and reason, and then the hyperbole and demagoguery come roaring back. So when you try to, if you even do, put yourself in Conservatives thought process to see things from their point of view, you immediately think you have to think like the worst person you can imagine and the worst motives behind their thought process, right?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The GOP isn't even particularly conservative.