Russia/Ukraine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Russia/Ukraine

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:45 pm

We signed a paper to keep Iran nuke free along with most f the world powers and we were the only country to pull out five years later. The US cannot be trusted in any agreement with anyone.
I think that has been true for a long time. We do what is in our best interest, regardless of what we said we would do.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yep, like everyone else.

China said they would protect Ukraine. Russia said they would protect Ukraine. They are invading Ukraine.

Analysis: China would back Russia, diplomatically, if it moved on Ukraine
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ch ... 022-02-19/

Why China Will Not Support a Russian Invasion of Ukraine
https://thediplomat.com/2022/02/why-chi ... f-ukraine/

China’s Ukraine Crisis
What Xi Gains—and Loses—From Backing Putin
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles ... ine-crisis

China Offers Tame Response to Russia Invading Ukraine
https://www.newsweek.com/china-offers-t ... ne-1681226

Behind China’s Warning Against a Russian Invasion Is a Desire to Protect Ties With the U.S.
After strongly supporting Moscow’s standoff with the West over Ukraine, Beijing aligns its position closer to Washington’s
https://www.wsj.com/articles/behind-chi ... 1645376565

WASHINGTON — When Wang Yi, China’s foreign minister, called on Saturday for talks to resolve the crisis in Europe, he said Ukraine’s sovereignty should be “respected and safeguarded” — but also sided with Russia in saying that NATO enlargement was destabilizing the continent.

“If NATO keeps expanding eastward, is it conducive to maintaining peace and stability in Europe?”

I get it. China and Russia are communist countries and somewhat united against the West. China wants NK to be a buffer between them and the West. Russia wants Ukraine to be a buffer between them and the West. Ukraine is being pulled apart by the two sides. Some want to join NATO and be part of the West. Some want to be part of Russia again. Putin postured and threatened to get assurances they would never join NATO. That didn’t happen so he is taking matters into his own hands.

Is there a compromise to be had?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:25 pm
Yep, like everyone else.

China said they would protect Ukraine. Russia said they would protect Ukraine. They are invading Ukraine.

Analysis: China would back Russia, diplomatically, if it moved on Ukraine
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ch ... 022-02-19/

Why China Will Not Support a Russian Invasion of Ukraine
https://thediplomat.com/2022/02/why-chi ... f-ukraine/

China’s Ukraine Crisis
What Xi Gains—and Loses—From Backing Putin
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles ... ine-crisis

China Offers Tame Response to Russia Invading Ukraine
https://www.newsweek.com/china-offers-t ... ne-1681226

Behind China’s Warning Against a Russian Invasion Is a Desire to Protect Ties With the U.S.
After strongly supporting Moscow’s standoff with the West over Ukraine, Beijing aligns its position closer to Washington’s
https://www.wsj.com/articles/behind-chi ... 1645376565

WASHINGTON — When Wang Yi, China’s foreign minister, called on Saturday for talks to resolve the crisis in Europe, he said Ukraine’s sovereignty should be “respected and safeguarded” — but also sided with Russia in saying that NATO enlargement was destabilizing the continent.

“If NATO keeps expanding eastward, is it conducive to maintaining peace and stability in Europe?”

I get it. China and Russia are communist countries and somewhat united against the West. China wants NK to be a buffer between them and the West. Russia wants Ukraine to be a buffer between them and the West. Ukraine is being pulled apart by the two sides. Some want to join NATO and be part of the West. Some want to be part of Russia again. Putin postured and threatened to get assurances they would never join NATO. That didn’t happen so he is taking matters into his own hands.

Is there a compromise to be had?
Yeah, probably just let their natural gas pipelines fuel all of Europe with very little oversight and he will do whatever you want. But to your point, there are many Ukrainians that don't want to be part of NATO and want to go back to Russia.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In an interview, Donald Trump says that Vladimir Putin is a "genius" for invading Ukraine.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 20155.html
Donald Trump has hailed Russian President Vladimir Putin as “savvy” and called his move on Ukraine “genius” in a new interview.

Mr Putin’s steps towards a possible full-on invasion of Ukraine have seen a number of Republicans seeking to blame the crisis on Joe Biden, arguing that Russia did not invade any countries while Mr Trump was president – despite the fact that he repeatedly sided with Mr Putin over the US’s military and intelligence agencies, disdained Nato, and attempted to extort the Ukrainian government into investigating the Biden family.

Mr Trump initially broke his silence on the Russia-Ukraine crisis on Tuesday morning through a tweet posted by his spokesperson in which he claimed that his relationship with Putin would have prevented the crisis.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I LMAO at this. Is this the GOP take on Biden vs Russia?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ukraine is very very important in the world right now. Far more important than Canada rn.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Canada is very important to the US. They aren’t being invaded by Russia.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:40 am
Canada is very important to the US. They aren’t being invaded by Russia.
Who said that Canada is being invaded by Russia?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:22 pm
In an interview, Donald Trump says that Vladimir Putin is a "genius" for invading Ukraine.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 20155.html
Donald Trump has hailed Russian President Vladimir Putin as “savvy” and called his move on Ukraine “genius” in a new interview.

Mr Putin’s steps towards a possible full-on invasion of Ukraine have seen a number of Republicans seeking to blame the crisis on Joe Biden, arguing that Russia did not invade any countries while Mr Trump was president – despite the fact that he repeatedly sided with Mr Putin over the US’s military and intelligence agencies, disdained Nato, and attempted to extort the Ukrainian government into investigating the Biden family.

Mr Trump initially broke his silence on the Russia-Ukraine crisis on Tuesday morning through a tweet posted by his spokesperson in which he claimed that his relationship with Putin would have prevented the crisis.
Did Putin actually invade Ukraine though? He sent in "peacekeeping forces", after the regions voted to become part of Russia, and then Russia voted to recognize those regions as independent. Did he violate any international law? I don't think he actually did, and that's why it was savvy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ LOL, so you agree with him? It's cool to just invade the largest country in Europe? Also, why is Fox News so pro-Putin? (I think I know...)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

More US sanctions.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How many patriotic and good Republicans are left in Congress? 1? 2?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:20 am
^ LOL, so you agree with him? It's cool to just invade the largest country in Europe? Also, why is Fox News so pro-Putin? (I think I know...)

I'm not saying I agree with him, but asking you what International Laws that he violated? If he didn't violate any laws and Biden can't do anything about it, other than sanctions that Russia doesn't care about, who is getting punished? The Germans are getting punished because they aren't getting the natural gas lines. We're getting punished at the gas pumps. The sanctions don't have the teeth that Biden thinks they have, and he can't push war, because no International law was broken. It was a slight of hand move, and I don't know how you can't see that.

You think you know, lol. You got more DAnon conspiracy theories? Yikes

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:37 am
How many patriotic and good Republicans are left in Congress? 1? 2?

I have no idea why you push and promote a war criminal's daughter so much. Are you a Neo Lib, is that why? Or is it the law of "an enemy of my enemy is my friend"?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought I would break this talk up with some comedy. Love this movie. One of the best all-time movies for quotes, imho.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:42 am
I'm not saying I agree with him, but asking you what International Laws that he violated? If he didn't violate any laws and Biden can't do anything about it, other than sanctions that Russia doesn't care about, who is getting punished? The Germans are getting punished because they aren't getting the natural gas lines. We're getting punished at the gas pumps. The sanctions don't have the teeth that Biden thinks they have, and he can't push war, because no International law was broken. It was a slight of hand move, and I don't know how you can't see that.

I am no expert on international law, but I think it's probably not allowed to just roll 100,000s of troops and tanks into a neighboring country under a bogus pretext of "peacekeeping" somebody else's territory without their permission? And probably not super allowed to falsely claim that two cities within another country have "declared independence" and that therefore you are going to trample into that country and occupy it?

What exactly is your limit here? In2, what if Russia occupies or attacks further regions of Ukraine? Will those parts be "declaring independence" too? Will Russia be "peacekeeping" if they sack Kyiv?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If you are pro Putin and anti-Biden I can see where you would say Putin was just sending in peacekeeping forces. To people that aren’t pro-Putin it’s an invasion.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:10 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:42 am

I am no expert on international law, but I think it's probably not allowed to just roll 100,000s of troops and tanks into a neighboring country under a bogus pretext of "peacekeeping" somebody else's territory without their permission? And probably not super allowed to falsely claim that two cities within another country have "declared independence" and that therefore you are going to trample into that country and occupy it?

What exactly is your limit here? In2, what if Russia occupies or attacks further regions of Ukraine? Will those parts be "declaring independence" too? Will Russia be "peacekeeping" if they sack Kyiv?
I don't want Russia to take over Ukraine. I don't want to see them take it over piece by piece either. What is the US or even Ukraine going to do about it? They didn't stop them, did they? Did they even try to protect those regions? Didn't seem like it to me, but maybe you have better intel that they fought valiantly to keep the "peacekeeping forces" from just moving in.

I don't want to see them encroach on any part of the country. I would rather that they just chill and stay in Russia for the rest of time. Maybe they need to change International Law, so that Putin can't exploit it. I don't have the answer to what should happen.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:12 am
If you are pro Putin and anti-Biden I can see where you would say Putin was just sending in peacekeeping forces. To people that aren’t pro-Putin it’s an invasion.
I'm not pro Putin, Mr. Strawman. I'm definitely and unapologetically anti-Biden, but not anti-US.

Define an invasion. Is it an invasion if they are welcomed in?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Welcomed in. Sounds like Jan 6 again.