Bitcoin, crypto, NFTs

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Bitcoin, crypto, NFTs

Post by Mori Chu »

This Sam Bankman-Fried guy is now doing interviews and media where he discusses his collapsed FTX crypto company. It's surreal. Isn't this guy in massive legal trouble? Shouldn't he be zipping his lips? I don't know. He apparently made lots of donations to various politicians. He is known as a prominent Democrat donor, but apparently he also donated to some Republicans, too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pretty interesting interview with this fraudster.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The fraudster got busted roughing it in the Bahamas.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This made me laugh.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LOL. That recorder music was a nice touch.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes, the Titanic music. I wonder if the last guys on the truck were musicians.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Paul Pierce among many folks busted for pump-n-dump crypto scam.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Crypto is so stupid that I basically don't ever bother to post about it here any more. But this made me laugh:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't think it's stupid. I think blockchain technology will be important moving forward.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:07 pm
I don't think it's stupid. I think blockchain technology will be important moving forward.
Agreed... technology is very useful; the humans behind it... Not so much.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Humans have been around for less than 200,000 years. Planet earth has been around for 4,500,000,000 years. We will become extinct at some point and most likely it will be from our own doing IMO.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

No doubt

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

IMO we're probably < 100 years away from a near-extinction level of change to the planet. Every year we set record temperatures; ice caps are melting; forests are dying or lighting on fire. We're running out of time and we're doing very little to stop it. I think the world my children will live in as adults will be very different than the one today.

I love me some AZ but I would not be living in a place that hot going forward. I think places like Phoenix will become impractical to live in in about 20-30 years and that folks will migrate further north. I'd invest in some northern US or Canadian real estate if I didn't already own a place up here in Seattle.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I deal with heat much better than cold. 110 or 0 degrees? I’ll take the 110 any day. Jump in the pool on a hot windy day and enjoy the cool water. You are almost chilled when you get out for a few minutes. When it’s 0 degrees there is no such thing as comfortable or anything near it no matter what you do.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:28 am
I love me some AZ but I would not be living in a place that hot going forward. I think places like Phoenix will become impractical to live in in about 20-30 years and that folks will migrate further north. I'd invest in some northern US or Canadian real estate if I didn't already own a place up here in Seattle.
Or put a giant bubble over it. I decided against moving to Arizona in retirement. Why deal with that heat if I can continue to afford to live in San Diego.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

No pain no gain. 🥵

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

San Diego is a tough place to leave once you land there. Literally perfect weather, beautiful, sun, sand, beach, lots to do, close to LA, ... It's just about as close to paradise as you're gonna get, save the high cost of living.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Paradise isn’t free.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:29 am
San Diego is a tough place to leave once you land there. Literally perfect weather, beautiful, sun, sand, beach, lots to do, close to LA, ... It's just about as close to paradise as you're gonna get, save the high cost of living.
It's not particularly close. Count on 3+ hours to drive to stuff in downtown LA if you want to take in sports or cultural activities in the bigger city, more if the freeways are badly overstressed, which they almost always are. I just made three trips from South Orange County up to UCLA, two over the weekend and one after rush hour traffic yesterday, and the combined mileage and time taken felt worse than some of the multi-state trips I've been on. San Diego would be another hour or more in both directions.

I'd agree with you about the rest though. San Diego's a nice place to live, and you would want to visit there, too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I mean, fine, it's a few hours in traffic. But there aren't many other cities that close to LA is all I'm saying. A few hours away and you get access to everything LA has to offer, if that's your thing.