Trump 2024

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
3rdside

Re: Trump 2024

Post by 3rdside »

*from a large institution POV .. can’t speak for smaller firms.

I hired two people on the same day once and kept the “less good” one for my team as she was Chinese and we had a Chinese guy already onboard. It raised a few eyebrows on that basis but the end result was win-win for everyone.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Just to add … you can definitely have a “best” candidate, but I agree there are other factors than just a CV that go into it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think this interesting discussion might be good in its own thread. It doesn't seem very related to Trump 2024.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Lincoln Project is comprised of a bunch of has-been establishment pedos trying desperately to be relevant again. In all seriousness, if you are moved by one iota of what they project, I would seriously look to do some self-reflection. No side should be moved by them. They are the POS group of criminals and murderers from the Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, & George W. Bush days. I have a 100 times more respect for AOC and the squad.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:40 am
The Lincoln Project is comprised of a bunch of has-been establishment pedos trying desperately to be relevant again. In all seriousness, if you are moved by one iota of what they project, I would seriously look to do some self-reflection. No side should be moved by them. They are the POS group of criminals and murderers from the Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, & George W. Bush days. I have a 100 times more respect for AOC and the squad.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:40 am
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
shitty people are still shitty people.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:00 am
I agree that the founders of The Lincoln Project seem problematic. I don't trust them any further than their efforts to help bring down GOP politicians.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:24 am
Indy wrote:
I agree that the founders of The Lincoln Project seem problematic. I don't trust them any further than their efforts to help bring down GOP politicians.
They hold no sway over anyone that knows about them or is even moderately aware politically. There is no way this group is going to bring down anyone but themselves, and the ones they want to prop up.

The known pedos who are the enemy of my enemy and should be my friend, is not a good look. You shouldn't want any type of agreement or side with them in any way.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:24 am
Indy wrote:
they don't want to bring down GOP politicians. They wanted to bring down Trump, and anyone that fellated him. They are totally fine with no health care for you. And they are totally fine with insulin being 1k a month when it costs $5 to make. They are totally fine with suppressing votes from non white folks. They are totally fine with a trillion dollar tax cut for wealthy people. They are totally fine with a likely rapist (or least sexual molester) on the Supreme Court.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

They are against fascism.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I support them only insofar as American democracy itself is in grave danger. Anyone on the side of our country is my ally in that effort. I disagree with them on almost every issue, and 1-2 of them have bad personal issues, but if the GOP gets power again the country may never recover. Once we stop Trump and the bad guys, the Lincoln folks can buzz off.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Georgia DA investigating Trump asks FBI for security help
https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... 21e7fe66ca

ATLANTA (AP) — The prosecutor who’s investigating whether Donald Trump and others broke the law by trying to pressure Georgia officials to overturn Joe Biden’s presidential election victory is asking the FBI for security help after the former president railed against prosecutors investigating him.

“If these radical, vicious, racist prosecutors do anything wrong or illegal, I hope we are going to have in this country the biggest protest we have ever had in Washington, D.C, in New York, in Atlanta and elsewhere, because our country and our elections are corrupt,” Trump said.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another day, another Republican encouraging people to brandish their guns and threaten voters.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sheesh, the rhetoric gets ramped up to 11. That's not good at all, and disturbing.. No need for guns at polling places by the citizens.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

New York’s Proposed Congressional Map Is Heavily Biased Toward Democrats. Will It Pass?
By Nathaniel Rakich

Filed under Redistricting

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ne ... l-it-pass/

One of the biggest takeaways from the congressional redistricting process thus far has been that neither party has made major gains. But the congressional map that New York legislators just introduced is so skewed toward Democrats that it could single-handedly change that.

New York is, of course, a blue state; it gave President Biden 61 percent of the vote in the 2020 presidential election. But if it becomes law (a good possibility but far from a certainty; read on), this map would put Democrats in position to win between 77 percent and 85 percent of New York’s congressional seats. The map creates 20 districts with a FiveThirtyEight partisan lean1 of D+5 or bluer and only four districts with partisan leans of R+5 or redder. There would also be only two highly competitive districts (between D+5 and R+5), and both of those would tilt toward Democrats too (with partisan leans of D+3 and D+4).

That’s three more Democratic-leaning seats, and three fewer Republican-leaning seats, than the current congressional map has — a pretty big shift for just one state! Right now, nationally, seven additional Democratic-leaning seats and one additional Republican-leaning seat have been created from redistricting. (The number of highly competitive seats, though, has dropped by six.) If this map is enacted, it would dramatically widen the gap between the two parties to +10 seats for Democrats and minus two seats for Republicans.

I had previously calculated that redistricting alone would hand Republicans two new House seats (give or take) in the 2022 midterms, while Democrats would roughly stand pat. (This is before accounting for the likely Republican-leaning national political environment.) Add this map to the mix, though, and Democrats would be poised to gain about three seats nationally and Republicans would be poised to lose around two.
Spoiler: show/hide

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So let's ban gerrymandering so that nobody can goof around with maps like these.

In the current environment there is no incentive to draw "fair" maps for either party. If the other guys are going to gerrymander, you have to gerrymander too, else you end up with a knife at a gunfight.

This tweet captures it pretty well:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:30 pm
So let's ban gerrymandering so that nobody can goof around with maps like these.

In the current environment there is no incentive to draw "fair" maps for either party. If the other guys are going to gerrymander, you have to gerrymander too, else you end up with a knife at a gunfight.

This tweet captures it pretty well:

But I was told that only the evil GOP gerrymanders. Dems would never, so this is fake news and propaganda. How dare you, Mori? I need that Greta Thunberg meme.

Indy

Post by Indy »

No, you were told only the GOP openly supports a man that tried to overturn free and fair elections in America.

Gerrymandering has been deemed legal by SCOTUS and both parties do it. That is why several states have passed laws to use a 'non-partisan' committee to do that. I put that in quotes because we all know the people on the committees are not non-partisan, but simply do not list party affiliations on their ballot/application.