Canada trucker protests

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Canada trucker protests

Post by In2ition »

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/national- ... rt-5087594
Key convoy organizer Tamara Lich denied bail while Patrick King appears in court
OTTAWA — Tamara Lich, one of the most visible organizers behind protests against COVID-19 restrictions and the Liberal government near Parliament Hill, has been denied bail.
Mia Rabson and Jim Bronskill, The Canadian Press
about 2 hours ago

OTTAWA — Tamara Lich, one of the most visible organizers behind protests against COVID-19 restrictions and the Liberal government near Parliament Hill, has been denied bail.

Another key organizer, Patrick King, is in court for a bail hearing Tuesday where a woman who acknowledges she only met him four weeks ago is offering a surety of half the value of her Alberta home to guarantee his bail.

An Ontario court judge denied Lich bail in Ottawa Tuesday morning, saying she believed there was a substantial likelihood she would reoffend if released.

Justice Julie Bourgeois said the convoy's effect on the community was immense and she felt Lich was obstinate and disingenuous in her responses to the court during her bail hearing on Saturday.

"I cannot be reassured that if I release you into the community that you will not reoffend," Bourgeois said.

"Your detention is necessary for the protection and safety of the public."

Lich appeared in court via a video link, rather than in person.

Spoiler: show/hide
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:41 pm
How is it professorial to say the writing was juvenile?
Comments like that was silly, and it seems beneath you. What do you care what it seems like? Maybe the Huffington Post thought so too, but they published it.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:49 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:41 pm
How is it professorial to say the writing was juvenile?
Comments like that was silly, and it seems beneath you. What do you care what it seems like? Maybe the Huffington Post thought so too, but they published it.
It is an editorial and will drive clicks which is all they want from that side of the house.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wow people really start freaking out when white people are denied bail. I mean there are people of color sitting in jail for over a year awaiting trial on petty crimes and nobody said a word.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Canada a dictatorship.

Lol

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:25 pm
Wow people really start freaking out when white people are denied bail. I mean there are people of color sitting in jail for over a year awaiting trial on petty crimes and nobody said a word.
Who is saying that POC should be denied bail over petty crimes? All kinds of people say that denying bail for POC over petty crimes is bad. So that makes it ok in this case? This is a bit higher profile case than some other ones that you may be referencing. It is definitely coming off as politically motivated and I wouldn't even doubt that Trudeau made a call to make sure it happened.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it makes perfect sense if the judge doesn't think Lich will stop committing the crime she is charged with, he shouldn't permit bail.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:28 pm
Canada a dictatorship.

Lol
right?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:04 pm
I think it makes perfect sense if the judge doesn't think Lich will stop committing the crime she is charged with, he shouldn't permit bail.
Detained on *mischief* charges because there is “substantial risk you will… not abide by an order”. Or, she could be released on bail as she should be, and if she breaches that order, then she could be possibly understandably detained. As is, this is a patent injustice.

There have been people arrested recently with violent crimes such as attempted murder that have gotten out right away on bail.

Glad you aren't a judge, Indy. You should put in your signature, "F*** them kids!"

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:14 pm
Indy wrote:
Detained on *mischief* charges because there is “substantial risk you will… not abide by an order”. Or, she could be released on bail as she should be, and if she breaches that order, then she could be possibly understandably detained. As is, this is a patent injustice.

There have been people arrested recently with violent crimes such as attempted murder that have gotten out right away on bail.

Glad you aren't a judge, Indy. You should put in your signature, "F*** them kids!"
If you pose a "substantial risk you will... not abide by an order" and repeat the same crime you are accused of, over and over, it would irresponsible of anyone to let you out on bail. It goes against what the purpose of bail is.

I don't know the details of the case because I didn't read the police report or the accused statements. I am assuming the judge did. Maybe they did, maybe not. And I am not saying the judge was right. I am simply saying that if it is true the judge expects Lich to repeat the crime while awaiting trial, he shouldn't order her release.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Canada a dictatorship.

Lol
right?
None of these actions are Totalitarian. Give me a freaking break.

Even the former leader of Iran is calling them out on Human Rights violations.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:27 pm
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Canada a dictatorship.

Lol
right?
Did you rail against the Patriot Act as Totalitarian when it was passed (and extended) that gives the US the same powers over the last +20 years?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:14 pm
Indy wrote:

If you pose a "substantial risk you will... not abide by an order" and repeat the same crime you are accused of, over and over, it would irresponsible of anyone to let you out on bail. It goes against what the purpose of bail is.

I don't know the details of the case because I didn't read the police report or the accused statements. I am assuming the judge did. Maybe they did, maybe not. And I am not saying the judge was right. I am simply saying that if it is true the judge expects Lich to repeat the crime while awaiting trial, he shouldn't order her release.
It's over the top, and the judge's ties to Trudeau are noted. You really think this is a repeated violent offender and a danger to Canadians? If that's the case, your moral compass needs recalibrating.

Everything that Trudeau has done has been over the top, and it's hardly a surprise that his henchmen do the same. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree with that one.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:30 pm
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Canada a dictatorship.

Lol
right?
Did you rail against the Patriot Act as Totalitarian when it was passed (and extended) that gives the US the same powers over the last +20 years?
Whataboutism? Yes, I thought the Patriot Act was a gross overreach. I still think it is. It's 342 pages were ready to be implemented a day after 9/11, seems fishy to me. And you think she's going to be charged with terrorism? For parking in Ottawa, honking horns in protest? Yikes, man.
Last edited by In2ition on Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Who said she is a dangerous violent offender?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:34 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:30 pm
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Canada a dictatorship.

Lol
right?
Whataboutism? Yes, I thought the Patriot Act was a gross overreach. I still think it is. It's 342 pages were ready to be implemented a day after 9/11, seems fishy to me.
We are on the same page there.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:35 pm
Who said she is a dangerous violent offender?
You basically did by comparing it to the Patriot Act, which means she's a terrorist.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not saying how the police are handling the protestors, or the rhetoric by Canadian leadership, is good. They are doing an awful job with it. I just don't see it as a dictatorship.

Also, thought this was interesting:

ADL Finds 1,100 People Donated to Both Canada Freedom Convoy and Jan. 6 Demonstration

https://www.adl.org/blog/adl-finds-1100 ... onstration
Last edited by Indy on Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.