Canada trucker protests

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Canada trucker protests

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:37 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:35 pm
Who said she is a dangerous violent offender?
You basically did by comparing it to the Patriot Act, which means she's a terrorist.
wow you keep making jumps of logic that aren't there. I said if she is charged with a crime, and the judge thinks she will keep committing that crime if she is released on bail, he shouldn't release her. It doesn't matter if the crime is violent, or even benign. I am not saying the law is right. I am saying the judge has a responsibility to only use bail for accused offenders that show remorse for their crime and don't plan to keep committing the crime.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:39 pm
I am not saying how the police are handling the protestors, or the rhetoric by Canadian leadership, is good. They are doing an awful job with it. I just don't see it as a dictatorship.

Also, thought this was interesting:

ADL Finds 1,100 People Donated to Both Canada Freedom Convoy and Jan. 6 Demonstration

https://www.adl.org/blog/adl-finds-1100 ... onstration
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:41 pm
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
You basically did by comparing it to the Patriot Act, which means she's a terrorist.
wow you keep making jumps of logic that aren't there. I said if she is charged with a crime, and the judge thinks she will keep committing that crime if she is released on bail, he shouldn't release her. It doesn't matter if the crime is violent, or even benign. I am not saying the law is right. I am saying the judge has a responsibility to only use bail for accused offenders that show remorse for their crime and don't plan to keep committing the crime.
I don't believe that's how it's suppose to work. I think remorse comes when you've been found guilty or pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing. Then the judge makes the determination of remorse. I could be absolutely wrong, and probably am, but that's my understanding. Why should someone that believes they are innocent show remorse? Would that even be expected?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I cannot imagine seeing the world in such a way that I thought Canada's current government was anything remotely close to a dictatorship. For Pete's sake, Trudeau offered to resign or call for a new election if they voted down his emergency powers act stuff. That's about as Canadian as it gets.

All of this is just so, so, so, silly. I have had it with all of these whining crying babies who are so afraid of a vaccine needle that they have to make a huge stink and block entire cities from functioning. Just get the darn jab, or get out of the way. The absolute height of ignorance and self-centeredness to fight so sternly over something so stupid.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:14 pm
I cannot imagine seeing the world in such a way that I thought Canada's current government was anything remotely close to a dictatorship. For Pete's sake, Trudeau offered to resign or call for a new election if they voted down his emergency powers act stuff. That's about as Canadian as it gets.
Could that possibly be because he knew the outcome of the vote prior to making that offer? Could that possibly be the case?
I just don't trust anything out of that dude.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lol.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Some truckers don’t want a jab or any other anti-Covid measures forced upon them. They made their point. Over 75% of the people in Canada support vaccines. All this other stuff is just over the top for me.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:05 am
Some truckers don’t want a jab or any other anti-Covid measures forced upon them. They made their point. Over 75% of the people in Canada support vaccines. All this other stuff is just over the top for me.
And all the measures that are being taken in response to the Truckers like the Emergancies Act is like using dynamite to kill a fly. Yeah, it's completely over the top.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

From your perspective at least.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sure, ok, but it's not just my opinion. It's a lot of people in Canada's opinion too, and not just "25%" of Canada.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

COVID-19 vaccine willingness among Canadian population groups
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45- ... 11-eng.htm

Very or somewhat willing to receive the COVID-19 Vaccine
Canada Total (excluding territories) 76.9 %

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So you're equating this poll to who is and who isn't for the Truckers and against the Emergancies Act?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:46 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
I don't believe that's how it's suppose to work. I think remorse comes when you've been found guilty or pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing. Then the judge makes the determination of remorse. I could be absolutely wrong, and probably am, but that's my understanding. Why should someone that believes they are innocent show remorse? Would that even be expected?
Yes, that is a fair point. If she thinks what she did was not a crime, then of course she won't have remorse. But if she plans to keep doing what she was doing, and the DA (or the Canadian equivalent) thinks it is a crime, and she doesn't want to stop doing it, she shouldn't be released.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:49 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:46 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Yes, that is a fair point. If she thinks what she did was not a crime, then of course she won't have remorse. But if she plans to keep doing what she was doing, and the DA (or the Canadian equivalent) thinks it is a crime, and she doesn't want to stop doing it, she shouldn't be released.
In theory, I agree if it is a violent crime and you are considered a dangerous criminal.

If you are charged and arrested with loitering in front of your own business, and you believe that you are innocent because you don't believe that you are loitering, are you going to say that you won't do it again? You might be belligerent enough to tell them you are absolutely going to be standing in front of your own business when you want, because you aren't loitering or committing a crime. Should you be held without bail, because they believe that you will do what they consider breaking the law?

Indy

Post by Indy »

That is up to each and every judge, but imo, yeah. I wouldn't release someone if they said what I did wasn't wrong, and I am going to keep doing it and you can't stop me. I would feel different if that "crime" only impacted, them, though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Isn't that what's expected?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm hearing the convoy plans on moving to Washington DC.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't think the US convoy is a good idea, and going to DC is a horrible idea.