School / education stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Split T

Re: School / education stuff

Post by Split T »

Wish he wiped out my wifes haha

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:24 am
Wish he wiped out my wifes haha
lol same

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What is the criteria for getting your loan forgiven?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just glanced over the article, but it had to be less than 12,000 owed, been paying for 10 years, and be enrolled in the program.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is a pretty interesting article in The Atlantic. Stanford student calls for Joe Biden to be executed. The article is about the broader divide on campus in protests both for and against Israel. (Link to read the article without the paywall: https://archive.is/ZeH8C)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

An article about USC's decision to cancel their (Muslim) valedictorian's speech this year after concerns about safety / threats of violence:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Anti-Israel protests into the night at Columbia University.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like the editor who made those criticisms of NPR has resigned.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Protest at USC against the cancellation of the valedictorian's speech.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:37 pm
It sounds like the editor who made those criticisms of NPR has resigned.

Who wins in this case?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SF Bay Area schools now use an "equity grading" system with no Ds or Fs. Sounds great! Can't think of any potential drawbacks of this whatsoever. (Disclosure: I do not like it.)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 pm
Who wins in this case?
As with a lot of these types of situations, it seems like basically nobody wins. NPR doesn't "win" because their reputation is damaged, especially among right-wing media consumers. Uri doesn't win, because he has left his job. The people don't win, because we have such divergent sources of information that it remains hard to discern the actual truth of the situation and have a frank discussion about it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

An editorial from Columbia University's paper about the protests there:

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 am
SF Bay Area schools now use an "equity grading" system with no Ds or Fs. Sounds great! Can't think of any potential drawbacks of this whatsoever. (Disclosure: I do not like it.)

I’d hate to be on a college admissions board figuring out how to interpret transcripts from those schools. At other schools, a C means the student accomplished something: they gained enough of an understanding of the material to pass the class. But a C from a Dublin school proves nothing.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 pm
Who wins in this case?
As with a lot of these types of situations, it seems like basically nobody wins. NPR doesn't "win" because their reputation is damaged, especially among right-wing media consumers. Uri doesn't win, because he has left his job. The people don't win, because we have such divergent sources of information that it remains hard to discern the actual truth of the situation and have a frank discussion about it.
Right wingers don’t believe anything the mainstream news says anyway. That’s like saying Trump got caught lying and that will hurt his standing with Dems.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Bill Maher weighs in on Nickelodeon, Disney and schools.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:38 am
► Show Spoiler
I saw this and I agree with it. I do like that Maher calls out both sides. Like I've said, I'm a moderate myself. Trump has pushed me way left of center. But I don't think it's necessary for kids to have story time from drag queens, men with fake boobs. If they want to go see drag queens when they are adults, go for it!

Also, it makes a lot of sense that the child perverts go to where the children are. Those industries need to be monitored closely. Including churches and cub/girl scouts.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:41 am
In2ition wrote:
► Show Spoiler
I saw this and I agree with it. I do like that Maher calls out both sides. Like I've said, I'm a moderate myself. Trump has pushed me way left of center. But I don't think it's necessary for kids to have story time from drag queens, men with fake boobs. If they want to go see drag queens when they are adults, go for it!

Also, it makes a lot of sense that the child perverts go to where the children are. Those industries need to be monitored closely. Including churches and cub/girl scouts.
I agree that they are everywhere. Especially in Hollywood. I don't get how people were so quick to claim it was a conspiracy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:47 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:41 am
In2ition wrote:
► Show Spoiler

I agree that they are everywhere. Especially in Hollywood. I don't get how people were so quick to claim it was a conspiracy.
I hadn't heard that people were quick to claim it was a conspiracy. Seems pretty obvious to me that it could be happening. They need to have watch dogs present on these kid shows or any media with kids.
"Be Legendary."