School / education stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: School / education stuff

Post by In2ition »

I guess plagiarism is essentially legal in Harvard now that board is refusing to force her to resign. If you got kicked out for plagiarism, couldn't you file a discrimination suit against Harvard now?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:53 am
I guess plagiarism is essentially legal in Harvard now that board is refusing to force her to resign. If you got kicked out for plagiarism, couldn't you file a discrimination suit against Harvard now?
Could…. But from what I’ve read and heard it’s the legal cost usually far exceed any potential financial damages from plagiarism.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Just watched this doozy on it…. I’m not a YouTube video kind of guy and actually came about it through 2 articles that were written about it. After the second article I decided to watch it… in chunks. It’s damn good.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:56 am
In2ition wrote:
Could…. But from what I’ve read and heard it’s the legal cost usually far exceed any potential financial damages from plagiarism.
You would think that could be quite a bit, if you were expelled from Harvard, weren't able to finish your degree and your reputation and character was essentially ruined. I couldn't imagine that the legal cost would outweigh that, and if you collected enough people that it happened to, you could file as a class action lawsuit against Harvard. Idk. Tbh, I've never sued anyone, but I imagine that it could be quite costly.

Although, based on your video, I think that you were talking about those that Claudia Gay plagiarized from. I was speaking of the students that got expelled for plagiarism.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:01 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:56 am
In2ition wrote:
You would think that could be quite a bit, if you were expelled from Harvard, weren't able to finish your degree and your reputation and character was essentially ruined. I couldn't imagine that the legal cost would outweigh that, and if you collected enough people that it happened to, you could file as a class action lawsuit against Harvard. Idk. Tbh, I've never sued anyone, but I imagine that it could be quite costly.

Although, based on your video, I think that you were talking about those that Claudia Gay plagiarized from. I was speaking of the students that got expelled for plagiarism.

Gotchya 😉

I did litigation for the county assessor and another guy and myself handled all of our court cases…. Things can get very expensive in litigation. It’s seriously ridiculous, hence why you try to settle before trial because NOBODY wants to get stuck paying the others court/legal costs. 😉

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

More allegations against the Harvard President.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I guess we should all just forget about these, because Harvard continues to back her?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Is this really about plagiarism or is it really about the Israel/Palestinian conflict?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the folks going after President Gay do have ulterior motives (they dislike her stance on Israel / Gaza and they think she's too woke/liberal). But nevertheless they've uncovered genuinely concerning behavior from her past. I do think it's probably reached the point where she should resign. She seems to have extensively plagiarized much of her academic work to get to this point in her career. If the same conduct were discovered by students at her university, or faculty/staff, they would be dismissed or expelled. She should be held to the same standard, else their credibility and integrity as an institution doesn't mean much. It's a shame to lose a promising university leader, but if she is full of shit, it isn't much of a loss anyway.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Agreed

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So, she succumbed to the pressure of the allegations, but they don't effect a professor's ethics? Isn't Harvard basically saying the same thing in their stance on plagiarism?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I didn’t like her stance on the Israel/Palestinian issue. It seems pretty clear they went after her for that and the plagiarism thing just gave them some ammo against her.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Seems like the AP might agree with you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Book bans getting struck down:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Book bans in style again? What Republican doesn’t enjoy a good book banning party?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LMAO, Tucson's Catalina Foothills HS hired Rachel Dolezal, that white woman who pretended to be black? And she was secretly operating an OnlyFans account, and has now been fired?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:05 pm
LMAO, Tucson's Catalina Foothills HS hired Rachel Dolezal, that white woman who pretended to be black? And she was secretly operating an OnlyFans account, and has now been fired?

Speaking of...Dolezal. This happened well after she was outed as pretending to be black. It feels like we are either stupid or being punked. How does she get through and not exposed earlier in the process?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

An interesting article about the nascent conservative school, The University of Austin.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What's interesting about the article?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Biden wipes out student debt for millions: