School / education stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: School / education stuff

Post by Mori Chu »

Do average people in these states really want books banned and government encroaching into schools this much? Has all the anti-"CRT" stuff sunk in that deeply?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Now don't go thinking I'm posting this as some confirmation of some conspiracy theory. I'm not.

I had no idea it was this high, but at the same time there are over 3 million teachers, so...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

Indy

Post by Indy »

the 3.2 million number is just teachers, not including aides. So 0.004% of people that chose a profession to be close to kids were accused of child sex-related crimes (not found guilty or even brought into court).

Now do cops. Or politicians. Or IT workers. Or clergy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, I know it's a small number as a whole. It was just surprising, tbh. It was a big deal when the Mary Kay Letourneau case came up. You just never heard of such things. That's why it's surprising that it's 135 and it's only May.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Between Covid and being demonized, teachers are getting out of the teaching profession. I feel like our education system is being torn apart by politics. One party is all in on publics schools. The other party wants to abolish public schools and go to all private schooling. This has had a negative effect on our teachers and students and cash starved school districts without supplies or teachers. This fight for control has hurt students and teachers.

Why teachers are burning out and leaving districts scrambling to fill jobs
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/us/teach ... index.html
"I've never had a school year start where we've had so many vacancies, and it's really sad," Kortsen said. "We have it posted, we've gone to job fairs, and there's simply no teachers out there to be had right now."
After two years of weathering pandemic health concerns, learning loss, and tense public scrutiny, teacher burnout is surging nationwide.

Student test scores plummeted in math and reading after the pandemic, new assessment finds
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/01/us/stude ... index.html
Math and reading scores for 9-year-olds in the US fell between 2020 and 2022 by a level not seen in decades, a foreboding sign of the state of American education two years after the Covid-19 pandemic began.