School / education stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: School / education stuff

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought this was interesting. Law students at Stanford recently protested a talk by a conservative judge on campus, leading to the cancellation of the talk. The Stanford DEI dean seems to have supported the protestors and told the judge to leave. Now some conservative judges are saying they won't hire any law clerks from Stanford in the future. Dueling cancel culture?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is so dumb and counterproductive. Eliminating tenure in TX and FL will just guarantee that no profs ever want to go work at their universities. They're setting back their own educational system. Amazed that they would eagerly push their best and brightest out of their states like this.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Makes sense to me. First get rid of the libraries. Then get rid of education. Then control the idiot masses. It's a recipe for success.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Texas pushes church into state with bills on school chaplains, Ten Commandments
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/te ... r-AA1byUEy
AUSTIN — Texas lawmakers are scheduled to vote Tuesday on whether to require that the Ten Commandments be posted in every classroom in the state, part of a newly energized national effort to insert religion into public life.

Supporters believe the Supreme Court’s ruling last summer in favor of a high school football coach who prayed with players essentially removed any guardrails between religion and government.

David Donatti of the Texas ACLU said that right now there is a “particular aggressiveness that’s unique” among conservatives pushing Christianity into public places. It’s fed, he said, “by the perception that the courts will allow this right-wing Christian nationalism to take root, that, now the doors are wide open.”

One bill, which is scheduled Tuesday for the House floor, is one of about a half-dozen religion bills approved this session by the Texas Senate, including one that would allow uncertified chaplains to replace trained, professional counselors in K-12 schools.

Those who object to the bills say they reflect a country that is tipping into a new, dangerous phase in its church-state balance, with people in power who want to assert a version of Christian dominance.

Said Talarico: “Representative Noble, you are devout, and so am I. This bill to me is not only unconstitutional, not only un-American, I think it is also deeply un-Christian.”

A sixth-generation Texan, Freeman grew up in a religiously conservative part of the state where prayers were common at public school events. “I don’t have a problem with anyone’s private expression, but Jesus said, ‘Go in a room and pray privately.’ That’s what these bills are, false Christianity, presenting an exterior that doesn’t match the interior. It’s presented as though it’s to include Christians, and what it does is exclude everyone else.”

After 23 years in Texas, Sravan Krishna plans to move his family out of the state before his two young children start school in the fall. A practicing Hindu who attended Christian schools as a boy, Krishna said the departure will bring a “lot of pain” in the short term. But an accumulation of things — from growing opposition to diversity and anti-racism education, as well as book bans and what he calls “Christian nationalism” — forced his hand, he said.

State Rep. Gene Wu (D), one of the lawmakers whose amendments Hefner rejected, said later in his office that he believes bills this session are part of the reason Christianity is declining in the United States.

“We constantly kick the poor in the teeth, tell the sick to go just die and never take care of prisoners. The hypocrisy is not a bug, it’s a feature.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL, this is pretty ridiculous. A governor specifically line-item vetoes a couple of characters to make a bill effective through the year 2425. Seems like that won't hold up in court, but we'll see.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Tennessee is passing all sorts of restrictive laws blocking what teachers can talk about. Specifically they are trying to stop teachers from talking about the racist history of the South. But some teachers are fighting back.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I found this interesting. Apparently most of the people who complain loudly about schools don't even have kids. Actual parents are mostly pretty happy with their kids' schools and not nearly as riled up about all the wokeness / political stuff.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My family moved to Tennessee my junior year of HS. We moved back to Phoenix seven months later. Nuff said…

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:46 am
My family moved to Tennessee my junior year of HS. We moved back to Phoenix seven months later. Nuff said…
Now we’re one of the poorest per student spending in the nation…. This state is the worst for education and we can all thank the republicans for that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It has been very clear to me for some time that Republicans are trying to kill off public schooling in favor of private schools.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

It would be one thing if private schools were better, but they’re not… in fact, charter schools don’t even require you to have a degree and just haven’t your state certification good enough. They don’t play by the same guidelines that public schools do not to mention, they can refuse any student they want… where public schools can’t.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:38 pm
It has been very clear to me for some time that Republicans are trying to kill off public schooling in favor of private schools.
Maybe there’s a correlation between the uneducated and the maga crowd? Lmaorof

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It just seems like Republicans hate anything connected to the government in any way. State or Federal. They don’t like any US institution. Any employee for any government institution is obviously a bad person.

They don’t want their kids going to a public school. They want them to go to a private school and they want tax dollars to pay for some of it. They don’t want to pay for private school and pay taxes for public schools too.

The plan always seems to be to starve public schools of money, talk shit about them, screw with the teachers and then pump up private schools as the future. Stop taxing for public schools and give tax breaks for private schooling. Win win for them.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

My wife and I have discussed this a lot over the course of the last 12 years or so this has been going on. She has about 22 years in public education and I’ve asked her if we’re dumb for not jumping to a charter school because the pay was marginally better over the last several years. It always comes back to the fact she has built up a great reputation at her school district and worked her butt off to get where she’s at, where most charters are very clicky or favor a certain religious group over anyone else. Not to mention, it’s disturbing to us that charters can pick and choose which kids they take and shove off their problems back to public schools…. Then factor in the teachers not needing to have degrees to teach there, when so many others worked hard and went to college to be a teacher and learn the way kids learn.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I always wanted my kids in public schools. I wanted them to interact with a diverse group. Not with everybody that looks and talks the same. They turned out great. A lot of it is on the parents though as it should be.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Interesting article about the GOP's escalated efforts to cause conflict in classrooms between schools/teachers and parents.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I definitely would not want to be a teacher today. The GOP has made them into the enemy of the people like they tend to do with ALL US institutions.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:19 pm
It just seems like Republicans hate anything connected to the government in any way. State or Federal. They don’t like any US institution. Any employee for any government institution is obviously a bad person.

They don’t want their kids going to a public school. They want them to go to a private school and they want tax dollars to pay for some of it. They don’t want to pay for private school and pay taxes for public schools too.

The plan always seems to be to starve public schools of money, talk shit about them, screw with the teachers and then pump up private schools as the future. Stop taxing for public schools and give tax breaks for private schooling. Win win for them.
Wait, so who are the elitists? Sounds like the Republicans.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Hundreds of US Universities Accused of Taking $13 Billion in 'Undocumented Contributions from Foreign Governments': Report
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hu ... ocialshare
The shocking anti-Semitism revealed on elite college campuses since the Hamas terrorist attacks on Israel on Oct. 7 has suddenly opened people's eyes to the agenda being pushed on impressionable minds in these so-called bastions of learning.

On Monday, the Network Contagion Research Institute released a study titled “The Corruption of the American Mind: How Concealed Foreign Funding of U.S. Higher Education Predicts Erosion of Democratic Values and Antisemitic Incidents on Campus.”

The report showed the clandestine flow of money from countries such as Qatar, Saudi Arabia, China and the United Arab Emirates into the coffers of more than 200 U.S. universities to the tune of approximately $13 billion in "undocumented contributions from foreign governments" between 2014 and 2019.

A major portion of the donations funds came from "authoritarian regimes," the NCRI report said.

The scale of the financial influx is staggering, with Carnegie Mellon University leading the list at $1.47 billion, followed closely by Cornell University with $1.29 billion, Harvard with $894 million, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with $859 million.

Qatar was the largest contributor, providing $2.7 billion, which raises questions about the motivations behind such financial support.

Qatar’s capital, Doha, is the location of one of the headquarters of Hamas.

It raises "the sobering possibility" that international actors are funneling large sums of money into colleges and “elite institutions that often have outsized influence on American culture and politics” for reasons that are "harmful to the democratic norms of pluralism, tolerance, and freedom," the report said.

The sheer scale of undisclosed money raises the alarming question: Are American universities selling out our country's values to the highest bidder?

Whether intentional or not, the report also points to a broader concern — the contamination of the "American" mind by a globalist contagion promoting anti-American, anti-Christian and anti-capitalist ideologies.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like the President of Harvard, Claudine Gay, is under fire and under pressure to resign, both for her tone-deaf Senate hearing where she seemed tolerant of anti-Semitic protests on campus, and now a scandal where she may have plagiarized some of her past work.