Social media

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Social media

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:41 am
Facebook or whatever they call themselves now isn't known for innovating. They just buy stuff like Instagram or WhatsApp or Oculus. They just can't buy TikTok...
Facebook/Meta should just buy China. That'd solve everything.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As always, be careful what you post.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Booooooooo. Not entirely unexpected, but blech. I hate how social media companies care so little about user privacy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

One of the biggest problems we have right now is an information bubble. People only hear their own party's news. This is bad for everyone but especially so among Republicans, whose media sources are generally complete garbage as opposed to mediocre content on the center and left. I found this tweet and link interesting.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

CNN has a new boss that is stressing less partisan news supposedly. FOX is still 100% anti Dem. FOX started ditching Trump until the raid and they couldn’t help themselves and went full blown MAGA anti US Government again.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have seen Dems on my twitter feed criticizing the idea of CNN reducing its partisanship. But I think it's a good thing. I don't like how I turn on CNN and feel like I'm seeing nothing but opinion people spouting Democrat talking points. They bash Trump and the GOP relentlessly and talk about "the Big Lie" and other things that come straight from Dem messaging. I'm not at all saying they should praise Republicans or embrace THEIR garbage talking points and catch phrases. But they should just try to report the news factually and bucket the analysis to certain shows and times of day. Just be a NEWS organization, and INFORM me. Don't deeply bake in your editorialization along with it 24/7.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Not "social" media, but another example of GOP censorship. Party of free speech, I think not.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This made me laugh.

It came up in response to this survey about censoring "conservative" views:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If Sarver sold solar…

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Oops.

That may be the worst Freudian Slip I’ve ever heard.

For all we know, the guy who did it is a perfectly nice guy who has never mistreated a POC and simply got his wires crossed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

lol. can't accidentally say that word.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

One can't be certain about such things, but, I find it extremely difficult to utter the "N word." If I even encounter it, my brain and lips do not want to speak it; I lock up and it doesn't come out. The idea that it would just casually fall out of my mouth, especially when talking to a black person, seems quite unlikely to me.

My general assumption here is that it slipped out of his mouth because he has said it before. Probably says it somewhat frequently in a more private context. I see a lot of people in online video gaming who say it as a slur against their opponents, that sort of thing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

One time I was trying to remember the name of a restaurant, I knew it was either Silver Dish or Silver Spoon…but when it came out of my mouth I said a little of both and it came out Silver Douche. Not saying that’s what happened here, but douche is not a word I really ever use in my vocabulary, but it managed to come out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:08 am
I see a lot of people in online video gaming who say it as a slur against their opponents, that sort of thing.
Seriously?! That's horrible.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
I see a lot of people in online video gaming who say it as a slur against their opponents, that sort of thing.
Yeah if you ay shooter games like Call of Duty or Counterstrike, that sort of thing, they have default enabled voice chat between players. If you play for a few hours, you will likely have somebody yell at you and call you the N word, or the F word (anti gay slur) or other such lovely things.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Yeah if you ay shooter games like Call of Duty or Counterstrike, that sort of thing, they have default enabled voice chat between players. If you play for a few hours, you will likely have somebody yell at you and call you the N word, or the F word (anti gay slur) or other such lovely things.
Well, that's absolutely horrible. No thanks.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wow Bone. It's a good thing you don't game. This is why I stopped playing online with others (unless it's just with friends in small group games where we can't have outsiders). Since I was a young dude playing Halo 2 online up until trying some Rec Room in VR recently on the Quest 2, there are constantly little kids and even young adults that throw out the n-word and homophobic slurs on the regular. There are some FOUL people in the online gaming world that feel like not being actually know by anything more than their voice and avatar protects them, which it somehow must because it runs rampant.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

I've heard 2K is the worst. Good thing is that it is really easy to mute all people or mute all people that aren't in your party. It is my favorite feature of online games...

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 am
I've heard 2K is the worst. Good thing is that it is really easy to mute all people or mute all people that aren't in your party. It is my favorite feature of online games...
Agree. I mute people all the time when I rarely game online (usually Forza Horizon).
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:31 am
Wow Bone. It's a good thing you don't game. This is why I stopped playing online with others (unless it's just with friends in small group games where we can't have outsiders). Since I was a young dude playing Halo 2 online up until trying some Rec Room in VR recently on the Quest 2, there are constantly little kids and even young adults that throw out the n-word and homophobic slurs on the regular. There are some FOUL people in the online gaming world that feel like not being actually know by anything more than their voice and avatar protects them, which it somehow must because it runs rampant.
I do game. Just not online with randos. But this is really sad to hear. Especially for young kids exposed to this. This should not be allowed and this should be a bannable offense from PSN/Xbox etc.
"Be Legendary."