Social media

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Social media

Post by Mori Chu »

In2's favorite Twitter account got suspended today

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Well that doesn't seem like him...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is a completely random shitpost, but it cracked me up and so I'm sharing it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

HardDrive has been roasting Musk lately.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Uh oh.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy

Post by Indy »

He has 10 kids, right?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

“There's a fine line between genius and insanity.”

Indy

Post by Indy »

Meh. I don't know of anything he has done that is near the category of genius. He inherited tons of money from slave labor and bought existing companies like Tesla and SpaceX. He is all bluster and no substance, like our former president.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

But, but, ... he must be smart, because he has so much money!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Facebook / Meta is in trouble. First Zuckerberg has a company meeting where he tells employees to work harder and expect layoffs and fewer raises / less hiring. Then I read that they're going to change their main page to be like Tiktok. That's always the sign you're on the way out, when your only ideas are bad copies of more popular companies' ideas and products.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Everything is always constantly changing and evolving. All those social media companies are just fads until something newer comes along that “everyone is using now”. It’s only a matter of time before Facebook/meta gets added to the graveyard of previously hip companies. The next big thing is lurking in the back of the mind of some 14 year old kid somewhere.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

More of traditional media than social, but I find this interesting. OAN network is struggling and will be booted off of Verizon soon.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This cracked me up.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The latest update seems like they're trying to get me to stop using their application, which I'm already doing less of each day.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:07 pm
The latest update seems like they're trying to get me to stop using their application, which I'm already doing less of each day.
I quit about a year ago when the report came out that their internal data showed pre-teens/teens were killing themselves more frequently after using their new algorithm and they said, but it drives better engagement, so we are keeping it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Instagram is undoing its TikTok-like changes you hated so much

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/in ... endations/

Mind you, this isn’t a permanent retreat, and Mosseri clarifies that Instagram plans to “work through” and learn from the changes to “come back with some sort of new idea or iteration.” For now, the social media service is phasing out the full-screen test version of the app and temporarily reducing the number of recommended posts and accounts. However, the goal is to fine-tune its personalization algorithms and try again with a feed that will delight users by providing more relevant recommendations.

I have low expectations but at least they're not just ignoring users.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Very interesting. Maybe they noticed that the feedback was overwhelmingly negative.

I think if they want to take a bite out of Tiktok they should just launch their own ripoff app, not ruin Instagram. But mostly I think they should try to innovate rather than just copy more successful networks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Facebook or whatever they call themselves now isn't known for innovating. They just buy stuff like Instagram or WhatsApp or Oculus. They just can't buy TikTok...