The US Economy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

The US Economy

Post by Mori Chu »

So, are we in a recession? Some of the latest numbers are pretty grim.

Indy

Re: The US Economy

Post by Indy »

I think you kind of have to pick a side (not you specifically, Marty). Inflation/Recession are two sides to a coin, although not exactly inverses. If inflation is getting too much, a recession brings that back down.

Although it is really weird to see hundreds of thousands of jobs being added quarter after quarter, but still be in a recession.

All I know is that when I do my monthly analysis of my retirement portfolio on August 1st, I will likely have 300-400k less than I did earlier this year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Strong jobs report. 528K new jobs. Unemployment rate drops to 3.5%, wages accelerate to 5.2% YOY. Economists had expected 25K new jobs and the unemployment rate to hold steady at 3.6%. Even Fox News begrudgingly has to admit that it is good news, LOL.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:14 am
Strong jobs report. 528K new jobs. Unemployment rate drops to 3.5%, wages accelerate to 5.2% YOY. Economists had expected 25K new jobs and the unemployment rate to hold steady at 3.6%. Even Fox News begrudgingly has to admit that it is good news, LOL.
250k were expected.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I can’t believe FOX would ever admit something good happened under Biden. That person is probably fired by now.😎

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lost in all the crazy news this week, some economic numbers came out today and it looks like inflation is capping out. Gas prices are down a bit. Things may be leveling off.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And since June the stock market has been climbing.