The US Economy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: The US Economy

Post by Nodack »

Every single one of us except the politicians.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't think the message that the economy is doing AMAZING is really getting out to the undecideds, at least from this anecdotal sample that MSNBC did.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

At least not on right wing sites.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori smacked my fingers with the ruler, and I had to write 'I will not post anything without a link to a pre-approved source' 100 times on the chalkboard.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My man acts like I asked him to donate a kidney. You don't have to do anything; I just am less likely to read/engage with a news post if it isn't sourced. It's up to you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The economy is strong. But many Americans have been told the opposite for so long, and have such hardened biases, that they simply won't accept such information when it is presented to them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Is this information that won't be accepted?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Republicans looking for something to campaign against Biden over get inflation. Enjoy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Breaking: Democrats say that inflation has no effect on voting for or against Biden.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Which Dems said that?

Republicans can’t campaign on abortion. That’s for sure.

Can’t really campaign on immigration since they shut down the bipartisan immigration plan set to pass because Trump said it would help Biden.

Can’t campaign on Biden shutting down oil since we are pumping out more oil than at anytime in history.

Can’t campaign on high employment since it’s super low.

Can’t campaign on the stock market since it’s soaring.

Campaigning against fake elections wins over the Maga crowd and disgusts everyone else.

Campaigning against all US institutions wins over the Maga crowd and disgusts everyone else.

Campaigning against all the Trump trials wins over the Maga crowd. Everyone else says, win in court and you might have a leg to stand on.

Inflation is where you want to put your political push behind if you are a Republican.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You said it, so I reported it. You're a Dem, right?

Biden can't campaign on pumping oil, which is why he has been strangely silent on it, because that wouldn't help him with his base of climate alarmists.

It's still relevent that Biden started the inflation problem, since gas prices soared as soon as he shut down the Keystone pipeline to help his buddy Warren Buffet. The oil has to be transported some way, so it's being transported on the railways, which is owned by Buffet. Now, he's panicking, as he could convince Saudi Arabia or Venezuala to increase production to keep prices down. So, after he didn't give a damn about prices soaring, now in an election year, and he did it in midterms too, he increases production here like crazy to bring prices down. There is a lot of mental gymnastics done bending over backwards to try to make this not Biden's fault and I find it comical.

Unemployment is super low, so you can't, unless you drill into the details. A lot more people are working 2 and 3 jobs to make ends meat.

The stock market is soaring, but it seems like this is about to burst, as the US dollar is losing it's World Reserve Currency status. Enjoy it while it lasts, and I hope it does. Have you noticed the price of Gold is rising rapidly? I suggest buying gold.

Election issues are going to be coming into focus very soon as many of these suits are now at the Supreme Court. We'll see if they are heard or not, and if it's relevent or not.

If it's obvious to even the most moderate voters that US Institutions are targetting a certain side over the other, you can't stop that from being an issue.

It feels like you are trying to talk yourself into knocking down everything associated with the economy that you think Republicans could campaign on, but it's not going to work very well. Sorry, it's not all that compelling of arguments, in mine and most people in the country. You can see that by polling numbers just on who would handle the economy better.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I pretty much disagree with everything you said.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That is your right to disagree.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:56 am
Is this information that won't be accepted?
In the tweet you quoted, he says inflation has risen for 5 months straight. Can you please clarify? Where do you / does he get that information? When I google for US inflation data, it has not been rising for 5 months straight:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273 ... in-the-us/
https://www.bls.gov/charts/consumer-pri ... -chart.htm

Is this another one of those instances where you post stuff that is fake and can't be bothered to check it for yourself, forcing the rest of us to call you on it? Or have I missed something?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I believe the general idea is that it's been going up as a trend since November when it was 3.1% and it's 3.5% now.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The tweet says going up for 5 straight months. In other words, it is BS. Why is the guy worth listening to when the whole premise of his post is false?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Because there is a political war being fought between the Republican Party and the Democrat party and the GOP has selected Inflation as one of the areas they think they can hurt the Dems in the election. Inflation is the Dems Kryptonite in this election so far. The GOP is going to hammer that into the ground and even fudge some numbers to make it more spectacular. In2ition says our inflation was caused by Biden not allowing the Keystone pipeline to be built. Search the causes of 2020 inflation and the pipeline won’t come up anywhere. That’s Maga again doing it’s Maga thing. Every article from anywhere will say the same thing and never mention the pipeline anywhere. According to in2ition the pipeline not being built is why inflation is high and it’s all Biden’s fault.

Bureau of Labor, Statistics
https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2023/beyon ... industries.
So, from this research, the authors find that three main components explain the rise in inflation since 2020: volatility of energy prices, backlogs of work orders for goods and service caused by supply chain issues due to COVID-19, and price changes in the auto-related industries.

Brookings Institute
What caused the U.S. pandemic-era inflation?
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/what ... inflation/
Most of the rise in inflation in 2021 and 2022 was driven by developments that directly raised prices rather than wages, including sharp increases in global commodity prices and sectoral price spikes driven by a combination of pandemic-induced kinks in supply chains and a huge shift in demand during the pandemic to goods from services. Fiscal policy contributed to the inflation, but primarily through its effects on consumer demand for commodities and goods in limited supply rather than through the labor market.

Inflation Is Still High. What’s Driving It Has Changed.
Two years ago, high inflation was about supply shortages and pricier goods. Then it was about war in Ukraine and energy. These days, services are key.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/27/busi ... ation.html
Demand for goods was unusually high: Families had more money than usual after months at home and repeated stimulus checks, and they were spending it on cars, couches and deck furniture. At the same time, the pandemic had shut down many factories, limiting how much supply the world’s companies could churn out. Shipping costs surged, goods shortages mounted, and the prices of physical purchases from appliances to cars jumped.

US Over-site Committee
Inflation in 2023: Causes, Progress, and Solutions
https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/ ... urrent.pdf

Yes, the entire planet has been experiencing high inflation from Biden not building a pipeline.

What Explains Global Inflation
https://www.worldbank.org/en/research/b ... id%2D1990s.
Global inflation declined sharply in the early stages of the pandemic amid a collapse in demand and oil prices. In mid-2020, however, it started to pick up as demand bounced back, supply disruptions deepened, and oil prices rebounded. In July 2022, global inflation reached its highest level since the mid-1990s.

The Global Economy.com Flobal Inflation rankings
https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/inflation/

US has the 82 highest inflation rate in the world. 81 countries have the same or worse inflation. Everyone is going through this. It must be the pipeline. Too bad Trump isn’t President. No country would have inflation right now because there would be a pipeline in the US making the global inflation just go away. There would be no attack on Ukraine by Russia and Israel and the Palestinian people wouldn’t be at war.

Abortion is the GOP Kryptonite. They deserve all the credit. The new Republican Supreme Court justices vowed they wouldn’t touch abortion during confirmation and quickly blew that promise off and overturned Roe VS Wade. Republicans were giddy. Trump tried to take all the credit since he picked the judges he promised would overturn Roe VS Wade. Republicans need to get some credit too since they were able to give Trump an extra pick by refusing to confirm anyone Obama picked. Red states were eager to take the credit and jump on the ban abortion wave and even birth control was on the chopping block. As we all know most of America doesn’t want abortion banned and have begun overturning all the GOP bans in their states and it’s costing them elections too. Now they are in full retreat.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the thorough post, 'dack. Very interesting. 82nd worst inflation in the world currently; that's not bad.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

To be honest, I care about the inflation in my country, not so much about the inflation of the world. Inflation in the world is tied to inflation in the US, since the US dollar was the reserve currency of the world. I'm sure the other countries would like their inflation fixed too. It's a shrinking of the power of the dollar, and not something we should easily dismiss.

Some of the issues that caused inflation, like you rightfully reported, were supply chain issues. Why did we export our manufacturing industry? Why are we importing essential goods and services? It's a way to make this country dependent on overseas countries. It's a good thing we are building chip plants here. Why aren't we building essential pharmaceuticals here? It's fine that we import luxuries, but essentials should be manufactured here, imo.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We all care about the inflation in our country. My point is that Biden not building a pipeline didn’t cause inflation around the world and in the US. That’s just another Maga claim because they care about Trump winning and blaming inflation on the pipeline sells with Maga. Texas blaming windmills for their power outages in winter sells with Maga but is total BS. Blaming BLM, Intifada, Nancy Pelosi, Capital Police, FBI, etc. for Jan 6 sells with Maga but is total BS. Claiming everything is fake and fraudulent sells with Maga. Total BS.