The US Economy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Kryptonic

Re: The US Economy

Post by Kryptonic »

I think putting labels on people is dumb and just divides us. Both sides suck and play bs political games instead of actually fixing anything. It’s constant tit for tat when we have enough other bullshit that needs dealing with. This country was built with a system to find compromises to complex issues. Instead it’s constantly impeach this guy because they impeached our guy or launch an investigation into politicians that may be legit but are quickly turned into political theater. We’ve never lived in a worse time for information and finding truth to things.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Somehow I doubt our founding fathers envisioned the government we have today that is totally dysfunctional and spends all its time attacking itself. I personally believe in Democracy but, Democracy is only as good as the people running it and half the people in Washington are trying to kill Democracy. Their leader Trump constantly undermines our Democracy and attacks all of its institutions. They tried a coup when they didn’t win. They try to overwhelm the country with conspiracy theories too many to count.

I have faith America will withstand this assault on our Democracy by MAGA. I don’t have much faith our government will ever function again as it was intended.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:24 am
Somehow I doubt our founding fathers envisioned the government we have today that is totally dysfunctional and spends all its time attacking itself. I personally believe in Democracy but, Democracy is only as good as the people running it and half the people in Washington are trying to kill Democracy. Their leader Trump constantly undermines our Democracy and attacks all of its institutions. They tried a coup when they didn’t win. They try to overwhelm the country with conspiracy theories too many to count.

I have faith America will withstand this assault on our Democracy by MAGA. I don’t have much faith our government will ever function again as it was intended.
I agree that the founding fathers didn't envision the problems we face today, and they didn't design the Constitution and government structure to be resilient to this much acrimony between two political parties this strong. But honestly I'm not sure you really can create a system of government that can survive ~ half of its citizens working actively to undermine and overthrow it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:32 am
Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:24 am

I agree that the founding fathers didn't envision the problems we face today, and they didn't design the Constitution and government structure to be resilient to this much acrimony between two political parties this strong. But honestly I'm not sure you really can create a system of government that can survive ~ half of its citizens working actively to undermine and overthrow it.
The problem is that both sides feel the same way about the other side, just as passionately.

It's a good thing the founding fathers didn't give us a democracy.
They felt a pure democracy was the worst form of government. It's essentially two Wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.

There is a story, often told, that upon exiting the Constitutional Convention Benjamin Franklin was approached by a group of citizens asking what sort of government the delegates had created. His answer was: "A republic, if you can keep it." The brevity of that response should not cause us to under-value its essential meaning: democratic republics are not merely founded upon the consent of the people, they are also absolutely dependent upon the active and informed involvement of the people for their continued good health.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:43 pm
The problem is that both sides feel the same way about the other side, just as passionately.
Yes, but one of them is correct and one of them is incorrect. The Democratic party is normal, tame, civil, banal. The Republican party is extreme, evil, violent, dangerous. They are not remotely the same.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:06 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:43 pm
Yes, but one of them is correct and one of them is incorrect. The Democratic party is normal, tame, civil, banal. The Republican party is extreme, evil, violent, dangerous. They are not remotely the same.
Why do you believe this?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The main reason is because your party tried to violently overthrow the government and disregard the results of a free and fair Presidential election. That's not the only reason, but it's the main one. I will never ever vote for a Republican for the rest of my life because of that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

J6 looked very bad, no doubt. I've heard it compared to and said it was worst than 9/11, where nearly 3000 people died at the World Trade Center, 3 buildings collapsed, along with an attack on the Pentagon. What are the other reasons you believe they are a violent party?

Does it ever concern you when the Dems are violent, or do you not know of any such examples?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What makes J6 so bad is that it wasn’t terrorists attacking us, it was us.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not quite sure how this would work in practice, but my initial thought is that a lot of small businesses would close pretty quickly. Obviously, $7+ is not realistic, and I doubt many businesses pay their employees this little in California.

Cap

Post by Cap »

$50/hr? WTF?

I do believe that the minimum wage should be increased, but $50 is just crazy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Support for a $50/hr minimum wage is obviously an extreme / fringe viewpoint, not shared by many people in any political party or major group.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, it would be fringe, but in California, in the Bay specifically, it might be worth it. The problem is that it will only be helpful for only so long, unless they can stabilize and eliminate inflation.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The economy under Biden is actually doing fine.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wage growth under Joe Biden has actually been pretty good, especially for folks in lower economic brackets. The Biden economy is actually pretty good.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Biden economy is pretty good, actually.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Objective reality is irrelevant.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:05 am
To the ignorant.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:21 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:05 am
To the ignorant.
Yeah, well the ignorati vote and can force us to live in their world.