FBI raids Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: FBI raids Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort

Post by Superbone »

These people are sick in the head, Marty. Don't expect it to make sense.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Increasingly it looks like Trump was directly involved with hoarding these classified documents himself. What is going on here?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think it is much of a secret. He wanted to sell them (and maybe already did).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:46 am
I don't think it is much of a secret. He wanted to sell them (and maybe already did).
It's pretty obvious, right? Amazing this guy has gotten away with so much so far.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

There were already reports of Kushner trying to cut a deal with the Saudis on this stuff.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Saudi government did just recently give $2 billion (BILLION) to Jared Kushner for ... it's unclear what for. Consulting? A bribe?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They unsealed the (redacted) affidavit used to approve the search warrant / raid on Trump's home by DOJ. Some tweets about the contents:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Also, here's a related story that reminds us why it is very bad to have top secret documents lying around in boxes at Mar-a-Lago:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oh shit.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Is this unprecedented in US history as far as we know? Has any other US President ever taken classified documents home with him after leaving the white house? And then refuse to give them up?
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

WSJ is just another Republican rag now.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:24 am
Is this unprecedented in US history as far as we know? Has any other US President ever taken classified documents home with him after leaving the white house? And then refuse to give them up?
Everything Trump did was unPresidented in US history. He will always be remembered as one of the most corrupt Americans in history. A guy who took the Republican Party down a black hole of lies and deceit.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump and his cronies are basically signaling to their people to do violence if Trump is prosecuted.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t care. They are on the wrong side of right and wrong says this agnostic guy who just read the article that claimed atheists and agnostics are the most hated people in America because of their perceived lack of morals by religious people. I am sitting here watching the supposedly most religious part of America completely abandon all morals by blindly aligning themselves with Trump. I would bet I am more religious than Trump and he is “Gods Chosen One”.

The whole MAGA thing is a joke.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The smart people on my Twitter feed certainly think that a criminal investigation is ongoing against Trump over this FBI raid stuff. Not just a straightforward request to get the docs back, but a full-on prosecution.

This interesting thread discusses some of the details about how a judge and jury can conduct a trial about secrets without revealing and ruining all of those secrets in the process.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump himself reposts the clip of Lindsey Graham saying there will be riots if Trump is prosecuted. It seems pretty clear to me that that's what he wants to happen.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s pretty clear they want to use the threat of violence as a weapon.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I saw this quote.

“Even the most extreme (and unlikely) hypotheticals for what Trump was up to with these documents—like outright selling nuclear secrets to a foreign power—would still be a lesser offense than a defeated President of the United States trying to install himself as an unelected autocrat and siccing a mob on Congress towards that end.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Helpful thread to understand what DOJ found during the raid and why it signals criminal activity.

Here's another thread with similar info.

The money photo that people keep sharing is this one, showing classified documents in a folder with other random personal stuff such as framed copies of Trump's Time magazine covers.