Religion and Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Religion and Politics

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought for sure we must have a thread about religion and churches and how they connect to politics, but I guess we don't have one. So here's one.

Mori Chu

Re: Religion and Politics

Post by Mori Chu »

I wanted to post this article. I am not anti-church or anti-religion, but I do think churches should be careful to stay out of overt partisan political advocacy.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:58 am
I wanted to post this article. I am not anti-church or anti-religion, but I do think churches should be careful to stay out of overt partisan political advocacy.

Yup. Similarly, it’s illegal to tell people to kill Democrats, but if you’re in church it’s perfectly legal to tell God to kill Democrats and tell people to be His instruments.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yuck.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cap wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:13 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:58 am

Yup. Similarly, it’s illegal to tell people to kill Democrats, but if you’re in church it’s perfectly legal to tell God to kill Democrats and tell people to be His instruments.

I would think nobody tells God what to do. You would have to pray for God to kill Democrats or maybe God spoke to you and told you to be his instrument of death.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.jpost.com/american-politics/article-739897
The Texas Senate approved two bills on Thursday that would require public schools to prominently display the Ten Commandments and to set aside prayer and Bible study time for students and employees.
The first bill requires that a "durable poster or framed copy of the Ten Commandments" must be displayed in "a conspicuous place" in every classroom in every public school. The copy of the Ten Commandments must be at least 16 inches wide and 20 inches tall, according to the bill.
The bill will take effect in the next school year.

Texas state authorities have repeatedly pushed to insert religion into public schools, despite the First Amendment which forbids making a law "respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

John Litzler, general counsel and director of public policy at the Texas Baptists Christian Life Commission, expressed concerns about the bill, stressing that parents, not schools, should be discussing religion with their children, according to the Texas Tribune.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They literally think that America is for Christians only. They can't conceive of the fact that there are lots of other religions (and non-religious people) whose views should also be respected.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They have their vision of what America is supposed to be. Anything outside that box doesn’t belong in “their” America. They feel their way of life is being threatened by all those people who don’t belong in their America. They would prefer an America without Democrats, Blacks, Hispanics, LGBT+ or the media that doesn’t promote their America. Their media promotes their vision of America and demonizes everyone else. Their leaders promote their vision of America and demonizes everyone else. Of course they hate non white non Christians. They are constantly told they are supposed to.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:14 am
They literally think that America is for Christians only. They can't conceive of the fact that there are lots of other religions (and non-religious people) whose views should also be respected.
Our founding fathers were mostly Christians too but they decidedly made America non-religious. We are a melting pot. That is our strength. All religions and beliefs should be welcomed.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

As someone who is a christian I'd only ask that you don't judge all christians based off of some "extremist" ones. There are tons of shitty christians, just like their are tons of shitty non-christians.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think you can say that about any religion, race, job, political party, sports team, country or whatever. Some people are good and some are bad. Why some are good and some are bad is up for debate.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:06 pm
As someone who is a christian I'd only ask that you don't judge all christians based off of some "extremist" ones. There are tons of shitty christians, just like their are tons of shitty non-christians.
100%. I want to be clear that I personally am not anti-Christian or anti-religious. My wife is a devout Catholic and so is her side of the family, and my mom is also Christian. I believe that the majority of folks regardless of their faith are good people, and I also believe that for a lot of people, faith gives them positive energy and caring for other human beings, makes them a better person. I do think that some folks in positions of power within organized religion structures become corrupt or lose their way, and this is too bad. But I don't think they represent the mainstream of their faith. I also believe we shouldn't do things at a governmental level that try to favor one religion over others; everyone should be welcomed and treated equally.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am not religious. I am happy America allows you to practice any religion or none at all. I was baptized Lutheran as a baby and have gone to several different church services of different faiths throughout my life. I just don’t buy into the whole thing. It’s all pixie dust and fantasy to me.

According to some estimates, there are over 4,000 religions, faiths groups, and denominations that exist around the world today. Researchers and academics generally categorize the world's religions into five major groups: Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Judaism.

4000 different religions? And which one is the right one? In Afghanistan Islam is the right one. In Israel Judaism is the right one. In Cambodia there is a better than 90% chance you are a Buddhist. In the US most think Christianity is the right one.

I like the Ten Commandments. It’s a great set of rules to live by. I don’t believe Moses went up the mountain and watched God carve out the Ten Commandments in front of him. I believe some man or men thought up the Ten Commandments and carved them into stone and then told everyone it was God who did it. They probably had good intentions but, was it God?

Jesus was put up on a cross and tortured before finally being stabbed by a Roman soldier finishing him off. I was told 2000+ years before I was born that Jesus died for my sins? In what world does that make any sense? Tens of millions of people have died since and what did they die for? Did they die for my sins? He was buried in a cave and the next day his body was gone so that proves he was resurrected and now lives in heaven? Ok, sure.

I think anyone should be able to practice whatever of those 4000 religions they want but, don’t try to force me into any of them. I pledged allegiance to the flag in school growing up and always said “one nation under God” because they made me and I was young and said whatever they wanted me to say. All my money says “In God We Trust”. If I take the stand in court I have to swear to tell the truth “so help me God”. I have conformed to the required amount of religion in my lifetime and have been ok with it. Whatever makes them happy.

There is a war going on. No Trans people allowed anywhere near our children. Instead make every classroom display the Ten Commandments say the pledge of allegiance and set aside time for prayer in school but ONLY Christianity, no Muslims! The US is a Christian nation and we don’t like those other false religions here.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Catholic clergy sexually abused Illinois kids far more often than church acknowledged, state finds
https://wtop.com/national/2023/05/illin ... ual-abuse/
CHICAGO (AP) — An Illinois attorney general’s office investigation released Tuesday found that 451 Catholic clergy sexually abused nearly 2,000 children in the state over a nearly 70-year period, which was more than four times the 103 individuals the church named when the state began its review in 2018.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Horrible.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Interesting. The Pope is not a fan of the US GOP.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That HS football coach who went to the Supreme Court over his desire to force his players to pray with him before games, and won, immediately quit his coaching job and moved to Florida.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:01 am
Interesting. The Pope is not a fan of the US GOP.

You are what you eat. They say pro sports teams like the Suns take on the persona of their coach. It was said many times that the Suns took on the demeanor and persona of Monty Williams.

The GOP has taken on the demeanor and persona of Trump. He is their spiritual and moral leader. Nuff said…

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I met a guy from Australia and a couple from Finland last night at a jazz club in Rome (a quartet led by a guitarist, I’d thought you’d like to know ‘Dack.) And they were first talking to each other and brought up Trump and both groups were horrified by him and I think most of the world is like that. Like us, they don’t understand why so many buy into his shegnanigans.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Rome? As in Italy? You on vacation there or something? I went to Europe during Trumps tenure and most people I met were horrified by him. It was totally embarrassing. I spent some time in Italy. Found out Prego wasn’t just the name of a spaghetti sauce or a pregnant girl.