Religion and Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Religion and Politics

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:19 pm
Rome? As in Italy? You on vacation there or something? I went to Europe during Trumps tenure and most people I met were horrified by him. It was totally embarrassing. I spent some time in Italy. Found out Prego wasn’t just the name of a spaghetti sauce or a pregnant girl.
Si! Trevi Fountain and Pantheon, and great food and gelato so far. Today the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and the Roman Forum. Tomorrow off to Florence for three nights. I’m at the end of a three week European tour of Scotland, France (Monaco, Marseille, Grenoble, Paris), and Italy. Heard great jazz in Paris (young English pianist, Joe Webb and his trio; met him after; great guy!) and Rome so far.

ETA: The Italian guitarist was Gianluca Figliola. Really dug his playing and group.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That’s awesome! Enjoy yourself!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Seems sort of like the right thread. An Alabama pastor who is a conservative mayor praised by Trump is also a cross dresser who fantasized of killing a woman and taking over her identity. He was outed when pictures of him cross dressing made it to social media. The police went to well being check on him and he killed himself.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laire.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 41961.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alabama-m ... s-dressing

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That's sad. It's too bad he/she couldn't be comfortable just being their authentic self and would rather die than face the judgment of others around them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We have seen this before. A religious conservative that publicly is against all the things he is supposed to be against to be a good religious conservative. Underneath all that lies a person who secretly lives a different life that religious conservatives are supposed to be firmly against. He’s a transgender guy but can’t admit it. He goes on publicly taking a stance against LGBTQ+ knowing full well he is one. Once discovered he cannot live with the embarrassment and takes the coward way out.

Fail

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:20 pm
That's sad. It's too bad he/she couldn't be comfortable just being their authentic self and would rather die than face the judgment of others around them.
They also fantasized of killing a woman and taking over her identity. Sounds like they faced bigger issues than being judged for who they are.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Speaker Johnson: Separation of church, state ‘a misnomer’
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4308 ... -misnomer/
Johnson argued that “faith, our deep religious heritage and tradition is a big part of what it means to be an American”
Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) pushed back Tuesday on the belief that there should be separation between church and state on the U.S., arguing that the founding fathers wanted faith to be a “big part” of government.
“Separation of church and state … is a misnomer.

Johnson argued that “faith, our deep religious heritage and tradition is a big part of what it means to be an American” in his comments Tuesday.

“That’s why I think we need more of that,” he said. “Not an establishment of any national religion, but we need everybody’s vibrant expression of faith, because it’s such an important part of who we are as a nation.”

He is not the only member of Congress who has who has suggested that faith should influence the government. Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) faced backlash last year after she said she believes “the church is supposed to direct the government.”
“I’m tired of this separation of church and state junk — that’s not in the Constitution

Cap

Post by Cap »

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, except ours.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

At least he's admitting that he doesn't take his oath of office seriously, I guess.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:35 am
At least he's admitting that he doesn't take his oath of office seriously, I guess.
And that he can interpret laws to his way of thinking with the best of them.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

As a non religious person, I am not interested in the Christian version of the Koran running our government in any way. I don’t really care about the what the founders intended argument is. The Constitution has been amended 27 times since the founders died. America is what we make it. If they have the power and want to turn the government over to religion they can make it happen. If Americans don’t like the direction they are heading they can always vote in the next election. Edit: (As long as an authoritarian President isn’t elected and does away with elections and the vermin that don’t like him.)

Conservatives got control over the Supreme Court (By stealing Obama’s pick) and ended Roe vs Wade. (Even though the new judges tried real hard to convince the panel confirming them that they wouldn’t touch Roe vs Wade.) Conservatives states immediately started passing anti abortion laws across America. Americans went to the ballot and very convincingly overturned all their anti abortion laws in even the deepest red states, sending a pretty clear message.

All the Supreme Court scandals have put a question mark on just how honorable they really are. The Supreme Court just released a code of conduct for the Supreme Court in response to America questioning their integrity. That has never happened in our history. We promise not to do all the unscrupulous things we have been doing and we have these Ten Commandments we promise to live by that we would never dream of breaking. You have our word as the the most supreme of honorable people.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope we would all agree that churches should never explicitly tell their members who to vote for.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Churches should lose their tax exempt status.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:44 am
As a non religious person, I am not interested in the Christian version of the Koran running our government in any way. I don’t really care about the what the founders intended argument is. The Constitution has been amended 27 times since the founders died. America is what we make it. If they have the power and want to turn the government over to religion they can make it happen. If Americans don’t like the direction they are heading they can always vote in the next election. Edit: (As long as an authoritarian President isn’t elected and does away with elections and the vermin that don’t like him.)
Just a point of clarification here. Only 15 amendments have been introduced & ratified since the founders died. They started with the reconstruction amendments after the Civil War, which were 13th, 14th & 15th.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:26 pm
Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:44 am
Just a point of clarification here. Only 15 amendments have been introduced & ratified since the founders died. They started with the reconstruction amendments after the Civil War, which were 13th, 14th & 15th.
https://constitutioncenter.org/the-cons ... amendments
The Amendments

There have been 27 amendments to the Constitution, beginning with the Bill of Rights, the first 10 amendments, ratified December 15, 1791.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

And you think all the founding fathers died prior to 1791?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If you ask Google how many constitutional amendments there were it will spit out dozens of sites that say there were 27. The number means absolutely nothing to me me. It could be ten or fifty. It makes no difference to me. My point is we as Americans have amended the Constitution many times when we thought it needed to be.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think In2 would agree with the total number of amendments being 27. I think his point is that he's drawing a distinction about which amendments were ratified *after the Founding Fathers died*.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:00 pm
I think In2 would agree with the total number of amendments being 27. I think his point is that he's drawing a distinction about which amendments were ratified *after the Founding Fathers died*.
Thank you. I thought that point was clear, but apparently it needed more clarification.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Meh