Religion and Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Religion and Politics

Post by In2ition »

This is disturbing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I never heard of this guy. I had to look up why the evil government was persecuting this poor guy.

Amos Miller is seen as a victim of ‘government overreach’ but a top fundraiser
https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2024/02/ ... undraiser/
Miller must notify his customers that his products were traced to two recent foodborne illnesses. Further, the judge ordered him to notify his customers that raw milk collected from Miller’s farm on Jan. 4 under a search warrant tested positive for Listeria.

The attorney general has charged Miller with violating several state food safety laws.

Miller was last a defendant in a federal civil action brought after 2016 by the Department of Justice (DOJ) on behalf of USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS). The federal citation ended with Miller and his attorney signing a lengthy Consent Decree 2023 that promises compliance with food safety laws.

Miller’s raw milk in 2016 was found to be genetically similar to the bacteria in two listeriosis cases, including a death case.

For a time in federal court, Miller claimed he was not subject to federal jurisdiction because he was a “sovereign citizen.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:46 pm
I never heard of this guy. I had to look up why the evil government was persecuting this poor guy.

Amos Miller is seen as a victim of ‘government overreach’ but a top fundraiser
https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2024/02/ ... undraiser/
Miller must notify his customers that his products were traced to two recent foodborne illnesses. Further, the judge ordered him to notify his customers that raw milk collected from Miller’s farm on Jan. 4 under a search warrant tested positive for Listeria.

The attorney general has charged Miller with violating several state food safety laws.

Miller was last a defendant in a federal civil action brought after 2016 by the Department of Justice (DOJ) on behalf of USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS). The federal citation ended with Miller and his attorney signing a lengthy Consent Decree 2023 that promises compliance with food safety laws.

Miller’s raw milk in 2016 was found to be genetically similar to the bacteria in two listeriosis cases, including a death case.

For a time in federal court, Miller claimed he was not subject to federal jurisdiction because he was a “sovereign citizen.”
Did you actually listen to the video? The listeria case wasn't even his product. He's NEVER had a case of illness or safety problems from his food EVER and the state was unable to prove that he did. He has the best safety record in the US. So, here you have another case of getting the wrong information again. It's absolutely government overreach. If you actually listen to what the state is doing, I don't know how you couldn't possibly see this as blatant overreach, and 'blatant' isn't even a strong enough word for it. Somehow I'm not surprised you haven't heard of Amos Miller or this case.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes I know, the evil government is attacking poor innocent people because it gives them joy. Good luck with your crusade.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:42 am
Yes I know, the evil government is attacking poor innocent people because it gives them joy. Good luck with your crusade.
Crusade? Give me a break. When you see injustice, you can't just turn a blind eye toward it, thinking oh well, they must have done something wrong...it's not my problem, because I don't own a farm and it's only one person. You shouldn't want anyone to be treated unjustly, even if it's your enemy.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You are anti US pro Russia. I don’t take anything you say seriously.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:06 pm
You are anti US pro Russia. I don’t take anything you say seriously.
That's the furthest thing from the truth.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You only post pro Russian propaganda and anti US propaganda. What are we supposed to think?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think he thinks of himself as being openly pro-Russia. But he swims in toxic media that is often a few hops from Russian sources, and he is unwittingly being fed a lot of pro-Russia media that influences his views.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Whatever it is, it’s 100% anti US, 100% pro Russian 24/7.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Maybe if I believed all the anti-Russian propaganda I would be more accepted. If I sought your approval or was influenced heavily by peer pressure, it would matter to me.

When the propaganda was obvious in Ukraine, it didn't exactly make me more pro-Ukrainian. Maybe it helped that I happened to know the history of what happened in Ukraine prior to the very recent history before Zelinsky.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Imagine some pro Mexican people living in AZ deciding AZ was now part of Mexico and imagine Mexico sending in their army to AZ to “protect their people”. What would be the US response? Would they give AZ to Mexico?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The treaty of Guadalupe was over 160 yrs ago. It's not a great analogy, because you're talking about countries with thousands of years of history and it's only a recent time period that Ukraine is it's own country.

I appreciate the attempt though.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Lol, way to deflect.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's not a deflection. I took on your scenario directly.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pope Francis Faces Growing Revolt
https://www.newsweek.com/pope-francis-g ... ch-1882379
Pope Francis is facing growing dissent among members of the Catholic Church over recent decisions that opponents portray as contrary to traditional church doctrine.

The most controversial has been the publication of a document in December by a Vatican bishop, with the pope's approval, mooting the "possibility of blessing couples in irregular situations and same-sex couples." While the document stressed that it did not change the church's stance on homosexuality, it brought a joint letter from Catholic clergy and scholars calling on others to disregard it.

Previously in his 11-year tenure as the head of the church, the pontiff has raised eyebrows by suggesting that even atheists could go to heaven and saying that he did not judge homosexuals, as well as taking a softer stance on abortion and remarriage.

Experts who spoke to Newsweek cast these tensions as an ideological clash between those in the church who wish to reform its message and those who want to conserve its traditional teachings, which reflects a broader culture war between liberal and conservative ideals.

In the open letter opposing the possibility of same-sex blessings, which was published in February, over a hundred Catholic thought leaders called on Francis to "urgently withdraw this unfortunate document, which is in contradiction with both Scripture and the universal and uninterrupted tradition of the Church." They argued that this would be tantamount to condoning "objectively sinful" relationships.

The Pope has been getting a lot of flack for his decisions. From what I understand the Pope is trying to be more modern and inclusive. Not judging homosexuals and even blessing their weddings? Atheists can go to heaven? A softer stance on abortion? Blasphemy! The conservative side will have none of it. How do I feel? I think if you believe in the Bible and you are Catholic priest and made that your life’s work, you shouldn’t change your beliefs to fit the times just to get more people in your church.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm surprised you even care about this subject as an atheist.

The churches teachings aren't supposed to change with the wind, so I agree with you.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I live in this world. A lot of people are religious. A lot of them are good friends of mine. I believe in good and evil. That’s not religious to me. I call myself an agnostic. I don’t know everything.

Did we start out as Adam and Eve after God snapped his fingers and created the entire world in a day? Was the earth just one planet out of gazillions that ended up with the perfect environment for life and through evolution we are now here today? Were we planted here by aliens from another planet? Is there life after death? There seems to be only one way to find out and I’m not in a hurry to find out. Do spirits communicate with us through certain people like the Ghost Whisperer? I have no evidence to prove or disprove all these theories.

I do know there have been thousands of religions and they can’t all be “The One”. I do know that man has created most if not all of these religions to control people. I care about people, not gods.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Who wants to buy an official Trump-branded Bible?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Pass